Oppo Camp Opposition supporters say the strangest things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
IIRC and it's a bit hazy to be honest, he tried a coup, failed, was given Chancellor (head of the Parliment) then faked an attack and used it to grasp power over the Parliment then he instantly disallowed any opposite political parties. Bang, dictator.
Like I said the details are a touch hazy since it's been a long time since I've read anything on that period prior to the war.

Pretty much got all the main details. He was democratically elected; but the party never got more than 37% of the vote before the elections were openly rigged.

Another factor among many to bear in mind was the Weimar Republic was a complete basket case. Very susceptible to a strong leader taking control.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
I found the vision of the speeches amazing - they were at some big dinner ( this was before they were in power )- and one of his supporters /part of his group ( forgotten his name - he looked small in stature ) gave a speech after Hitler -and in the speech - the hatred for the Jews - and this was way before the atrocities .

What’s never been disputed is that he was an electrifying public speaker. His only real talent and what took him from the Munich barracks to the public.

then he did a number of deals

He got into a coalition with one of the other right wing parties and that helped him to become Chancellor. The leader of this other right wing party (von Papen) believed he could control Hitler (as Hitler had no political experience), thus persuaded Hindenburg (the President) to appoint Hitler as Chancellor.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Re Hitler ( football season is still along way away - made very few posts in the off season ) - but ive been watching on and off late night Foxtel on Hitler

And pardon my ignorance on the subject - but one thing which surprised me - is he didnt sweep to power in Germany - he got control of Germany politically and the armed forces in a round about sort of way

Like on the documentary - they said before he got in power - there was an election - and his partys vote actually decreased - his popularity actually decreased at that point of time - but the propoganda machine went into overdrive - and there was some group ( ive forgotten what they were called ) like amateur civilian army officers ( if that makes sense ) - he got rid of them - then he did a number of deals - then he was the number 1 supremo

I found the vision of the speeches amazing - they were at some big dinner ( this was before they were in power )- and one of his supporters /part of his group ( forgotten his name - he looked small in stature ) gave a speech after Hitler -and in the speech - the hatred for the Jews - and this was way before the atrocities .
The brown shirts - the SA. They had gone on a power trip so Hitler made up accusations against their leaders and many were murdered in the night of the long knives, and he took control of the SA before integrating many of them into the SS.

Hitler used the fire in the reichstag (which he probably had started) as proof of a communist conspiracy against the german government, so used that to bring in emergency powers which he used to destroy his communist opposition. Which gave him near complete control. Then hindenburg died, so hitler had his job deleted and fuhrer became the controlling leader.

Despite being a monster he was a bloody shrewd and cunning man.

ATSAM

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
The brown shirts - the SA. They had gone on a power trip so Hitler made up accusations against their leaders and many were murdered in the night of the long knives, and he took control of the SA before integrating many of them into the SS.

Hitler used the fire in the reichstag (which he probably had started) as proof of a communist conspiracy against the german government, so used that to bring in emergency powers which he used to destroy his communist opposition. Which gave him near complete control. Then hindenburg died, so hitler had his job deleted and fuhrer became the controlling leader.

Despite being a monster he was a bloody shrewd and cunning man.
And at the end, probably for the last two to three years of his life completely off his head on drugs which included a substance similar to 'ice'. So his henchmen, who were equally as mad, had control to do whatever they liked.
Ten years prior he had killed of , literally, hos opposition, trade unionists and left wingers and any one in a position to oppose him plus a whole lot of other people who o9ffended his sensibilities and view of the Aryan race eg people with a disability.
ITs called fascism and of the problems is that the german people let it happen. It can happen again.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
And at the end, probably for the last two to three years of his life completely off his head on drugs which included a substance similar to 'ice'. So his henchmen, who were equally as mad, had control to do whatever they liked.
Ten years prior he had killed of , literally, hos opposition, trade unionists and left wingers and any one in a position to oppose him plus a whole lot of other people who o9ffended his sensibilities and view of the Aryan race eg people with a disability.
ITs called fascism and of the problems is that the german people let it happen. It can happen again.
During the blitzkrieg the troops were given meth to stay awake. It was widely used by the troops during the war.

Not to mention US fighter pilots get "speed pills" to stay awake and alert too. But they try to keep that quiet.

Pavlovs Cat

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwood, Aston Villa

Not quite. While Hitler fell into disrepair, physically and mentally his henchmen could never really do 'as they liked' with the possible exception of Martin Bormann. Bormann's powerbase was derived over controlling access to the Fuhrer as opposed to controlling him. The entire leadership structure of the Nazi party was designed so that other senior figures relied on Hitler to make a decision. There was no structured leadership like the Soviet Union which is why, Rohm aside, there was no major cull of leadership figures of the Nazi party akin to Stalin's purges.

When the assassination attempt failed in 1944 Hitler consolidated his power at the expense of the military and despite failing health, he involved himself more and more in strategic decisions. In a tragedy for Germany, he even believed he had some sort of devine intervention when the bomb failed to kill him. The number one comment from history that supports the concept of the henchmen not having clout was when Goring was asked at Nuremberg 'who went against the Fuhrer?' and Goring replied 'no one above the ground'.

Pavlovs Cat

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwood, Aston Villa
Which wouldn't have mattered anyway, fall of Moscow wouldn't have beaten the Russians, they'd have just done the same as when Napoleon invaded, keep falling back until supplies and the cold got the better of them.
We need a WW2 thread....

If Hitler takes Moscow he wins the war in my view. He split his forces and gave time for the Russians to dig in. They wouldn't have had to have 'beaten the Russians', keeping on the other side of the urals would be the same thing. Taking Moscow and having a concentrated focus could have (arguably) prevented the loss of 250k troops on the Volga which was the turning point of the European theatre. Supplying a secured Moscow would have been a doddle for the Luftwaffe as opposed to supplying the Stalingrad Kessel later on.

Pavlovs Cat

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwood, Aston Villa
I don't think Stalin would have stayed still and allowed himself to be caught, also on the above, that's Hitlers hallmark in the second half of the war, complete and utter self sabotage.
My favourite is hearing reports he gave within the last few months of the war to fictitious armies and units.

Stalin was visible at the Kremlin with the Werhmacht kilometers away. While he was just as big a monster he showed more courage than Hitler did in 1945.

Pavlovs Cat

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwood, Aston Villa
Re Hitler ( football season is still along way away - made very few posts in the off season ) - but ive been watching on and off late night Foxtel on Hitler

And pardon my ignorance on the subject - but one thing which surprised me - is he didnt sweep to power in Germany - he got control of Germany politically and the armed forces in a round about sort of way

Like on the documentary - they said before he got in power - there was an election - and his partys vote actually decreased - his popularity actually decreased at that point of time - but the propoganda machine went into overdrive - and there was some group ( ive forgotten what they were called ) like amateur civilian army officers ( if that makes sense ) - he got rid of them - then he did a number of deals - then he was the number 1 supremo

The scariest speech is actually by Joseph Gobbels. The Nazis were getting smashed on all sides and the call was for TOTALLER KRIEG. DO YOU WANT TOTAL WAR!!? The idiots were lapping it up and clapping and cheering. Really unsettling. As for the Nazi party performance, the party tended to do well in times of emergency or hardship. The Weimar republic had a slim chance only of succeeding in a nation that had no democratic tradition. When the depression struck Germany was hit harder economically than any other nation due to reparations. The cause of world war I was the disruption of the balance of power and the cause of world war II was world war I. It has been described as the European Civil war which no European nation won.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
The scariest speech is actually by Joseph Gobbels. The Nazis were getting smashed on all sides and the call was for TOTALLER KRIEG. DO YOU WANT TOTAL WAR!!? The idiots were lapping it up and clapping and cheering. Really unsettling. As for the Nazi party performance, the party tended to do well in times of emergency or hardship. The Weimar republic had a slim chance only of succeeding in a nation that had no democratic tradition. When the depression struck Germany was hit harder economically than any other nation due to reparations. The cause of world war I was the disruption of the balance of power and the cause of world war II was world war I. It has been described as the European Civil war which no European nation won.
The irony being that it is now germany asking for reparations from greece. You think they would know where reparations that are impossible to pay back will lead.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

No democratic tradition isn't really true. Sure Deutsches Reich (Weimar Republic for all you Auslander) was neither a stable or mature democracy but the Holy Roman Empire was an elective system in a time when many countries were purely feudal and there were elections in Das Kaiserreich though not in such a way to determine national government.

Last edited:
Wow.. some quality history buffs in the house here.. :thumbsu:

It’s the off-season so the latitude has been wider but now it’s feb it’s time to steer the more sussinct course..

That’s my long winded way of saying that no more history posts please.

It’s been good but now back to the war.. the GFC vs the rest kind..

I know more mentioned before but please heed it this time.

Go Catters

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
200.webp

It’s the off-season so the latitude has been wider but now it’s feb it’s time to steer the more sussinct course..

Go Catters

Beat me to it Daz.....delete finger is twitching.....

CharacterFirst

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2011
A wilful, lavish land.
AFL Club
Geelong

Go Catters
Stopped this thread in its tracks...............:'(

:D:D

Go Catters
but Daz... I was learning so much :(

This from a Bombers supporter on the main board....

Dangerfield, Ablett, Martin, Mitchell, Crouch, Merrett, Oliver, Treloar, Pendlebury, Murphy, Gaff, Kelly, Zorko - no s**t I just typed those without counting, and they are all better midfielders than Selwood.

:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back