Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Just had a peak at the Collingwood board and I've never seen such delusion. Pick 2 for Stephenson, top 5 pick for Treloar. There's going to be some angry pies once all the deals go through.
Some of the stuff posted on the Trade Radio twitter is staggering. Making it sound like Treloar is peak era Matthews.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Lets get this thread back on track with a bit of a weird one, but I would like to thank the Richmond supporting member who went through the Geelong GF match day thread, "LOL'd" at a few of my posts before DMing me about my posts.

No wonder we can afford Cameron, even when they win the flag we still live rent free in the Triggie fans heads :$

Lets get this thread back on track with a bit of a weird one, but I would like to thank the Richmond supporting member who went through the Geelong GF match day thread, "LOL'd" at a few of my posts before DMing me about my posts.

No wonder we can afford Cameron, even when they win the flag we still live rent free in the Triggie fans heads :$
feel free to PM me with the details.

GO Catters

Badtemperedbadger

Team Captain
May 24, 2008
Thornbury
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Any Aussie Team
And Richmond have been good enough to win 4. Hawthorn should have won in 2012. Collingwood should have won in 2011. COULD we have won a flag?

Yes. You could say that about any top four side though.

Except Collingwood lost 3 X that year to the Cats.
So saying they should have won is bunkums in my opinion?
The uneven schedule (draw) covers these types of anomalies, due to the fact that you don't play all teams twice.
Collingwood couldn't beat Geelong in 2011 despite three attempts so i would strongly suggest they shouldn't have necessarily won. And in fact that proved to be the case.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Except Collingwood lost 3 X that year to the Cats.
So saying they should have won is bunkums in my opinion?
The uneven schedule (draw) covers these types of anomalies, due to the fact that you don't play all teams twice.
Collingwood couldn't beat Geelong in 2011 despite three attempts so i would strongly suggest they shouldn't have necessarily won. And in fact that proved to be the case.

Doesnt really refute my argument. Anyone finishing at the pointy end COULD have won one. Doesn't mean they SHOULD.

Badtemperedbadger

Team Captain
May 24, 2008
Thornbury
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Any Aussie Team
Doesnt really refute my argument. Anyone finishing at the pointy end COULD have won one. Doesn't mean they SHOULD.

Apologies wasn't trying to refute your argument just something that has always amused me.
When I inform salty Collingwood supporters they seem to be unaware of this very fact

haha the same guy LOL'd at a few of my posts from around half time during the game too, didn't get a PM though :(

rent free all the same

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
The age thing is bewildering no doubt. I dont get it either - well to some degree I get it - but not this extent.

That said, age or not, its super simple to sit there in Nov and pot the club for not winning next years GF and suggest that anything short is a failure.

GO Catters

Given the number of picks we have used, the number of players we have brought in that occupy valuable list spots, I absolutely suggest anything short of a premiership is a failure.

Bring up your heavy guns.

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Called the people on a Facebook page sooks = I’ve called people on here sooks
Say something none of you like = I’m an opposition supporter
Be a new user = I’m a troll

Very welcoming bunch.
Suck it up sunshine. Your posts and opinions are always welcome here, but if you diss or get personal look out. If you do it too often then the mods will be attracted like flies to shi

t

Last edited:

Virus

I’m pretty good looking
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Suck it up sunshine. Your posts and opinions are always welcome here, but if you diss or get personal look out. If you do it too often then the mods will be attracted like flies to shi

t
Thanks mum.

Genghis Tron

HBF
Koala Light vs Dark Charity Match Gumbies FFC - Sweet F.A.
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
Wasn't sure where to post this, figure if it's stupid this is the best place to post it.

Do you guys think Richmond and Geelong feel a rivalry between each other? Specifically the teams, not so much the supporters.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Wasn't sure where to post this, figure if it's stupid this is the best place to post it.

Do you guys think Richmond and Geelong feel a rivalry between each other? Specifically the teams, not so much the supporters.

Obviously there is a healthy rivalry between the supporters. I don't think it is nearly as big for the teams, beyond the normal rivalry that would be formed when there is a team at the top that has repeatedly been the biggest hurdle. Being honest, the current Cats players could logically claim that they would have won 2 flags by now if they didn't keep running into Richmond. There would be a desperation there to get past them. I don't think there is enough the other way to make it a true Hawthorn/Geelong style rivalry yet.

Genghis Tron

HBF
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
Obviously there is a healthy rivalry between the supporters. I don't think it is nearly as big for the teams, beyond the normal rivalry that would be formed when there is a team at the top that has repeatedly been the biggest hurdle. Being honest, the current Cats players could logically claim that they would have won 2 flags by now if they didn't keep running into Richmond. There would be a desperation there to get past them. I don't think there is enough the other way to make it a true Hawthorn/Geelong style rivalry yet.
ah yes I had forgotten the hawks when I posted that. All solid points.

Cheers.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
ah yes I had forgotten the hawks when I posted that. All solid points.

Cheers.

i think another finals win to Richmond, and even allowing for the fact that they are pretty grounded guys, they would start to develop a bit of subconscious arrogance against the Cats and that would turn it into a real two way rivalry.

The thing with Hawthorn was that yeah ok they bumped us in 2008 and eventually they got us in the 2013 prelim, but the sheer volume of home and away losses plus a 2011 finals loss in between meant that it went both ways, and the fact that it didn't matter how high the hawks were flying, we would find a way to beat them - it hurt them. Not as much as losing a grand final obviously but it was a stopper on their aspirations of total dominance. We've beaten Richmond once in four seasons or something so it's just not there yet.

Genghis Tron

HBF
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
i think another finals win to Richmond, and even allowing for the fact that they are pretty grounded guys, they would start to develop a bit of subconscious arrogance against the Cats and that would turn it into a real two way rivalry.

The thing with Hawthorn was that yeah ok they bumped us in 2008 and eventually they got us in the 2013 prelim, but the sheer volume of home and away losses plus a 2011 finals loss in between meant that it went both ways, and the fact that it didn't matter how high the hawks were flying, we would find a way to beat them - it hurt them. Not as much as losing a grand final obviously but it was a stopper on their aspirations of total dominance. We've beaten Richmond once in four seasons or something so it's just not there yet.
I think even with our recent success there's still a part of me stuck in the early 2000s when you guys took Ottens, to 2016ish. Every time we come up against Geelong I always feel "we always lose these" even if we have bucked that trend as of late.

I've ways liked Geelong since they gave Ottens success and definitely feel a respectful rivalry with cats supporters. I suppose I just want some of that magic that you get when the teams themselves feel a rivalry. I thought maybe the crows and GWS might be rival candidates but it doesn't feel right. Geelong feel like a good rival. Highly competitive, vic based, some of the best players at the moment... Hopefully (for me at least) we get some cracking games between the.clubs in the future and the rivalry sparks start up.

I know a rivalry isn't important, but as I said before, I just want a slice of that magic. Those Cats v Hawks games were great to watch as a neutral.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I think even with our recent success there's still a part of me stuck in the early 2000s when you guys took Ottens, to 2016ish. Every time we come up against Geelong I always feel "we always lose these" even if we have bucked that trend as of late.

I've ways liked Geelong since they gave Ottens success and definitely feel a respectful rivalry with cats supporters. I suppose I just want some of that magic that you get when the teams themselves feel a rivalry. I thought maybe the crows and GWS might be rival candidates but it doesn't feel right. Geelong feel like a good rival. Highly competitive, vic based, some of the best players at the moment... Hopefully (for me at least) we get some cracking games between the.clubs in the future and the rivalry sparks start up.

I know a rivalry isn't important, but as I said before, I just want a slice of that magic. Those Cats v Hawks games were great to watch as a neutral.

It's odd because I started watching footy basically at a time when the Cats were starting a decades long dominance of the Tigers. It just didn't matter what was happening, you could pencil that game in for a win. I liked them a lot but it was easy to like them when they had likeable players like Richo and Wayne Campbell and so forth but weren't a threat. Brad Ottens is arguably the most important recruit we have ever picked up so I'll always be grateful for that. Now it has completely flipped and I sort of have this feeling that no matter what is going on, Richmond will beat us. Like I said another finals meeting could really beef up the head to head rivalry.

PzBlinky

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong

I wonder if the quality of the games plays a part in the rivalry as well?

WCE vs SYD was built off some intense, "flip of the coin" finals during the mid 2000s. Ours and the Hawks had its origins from the 1989 GF, 1991 SF, and the fact they were one of the few teams in the comp who could come to KP and beat us with any regularity. But the rekindling of that wasn't just the 2008 GF, it was the next few games where both teams went hammer and tongs at each other. Both sides seemed to want the win so badly and they always seemed evenly matched. It felt every game was going down to the last few minutes (at least until they broke the "curse", but even today it still happens - the 2nd game in 2017, both times in 2018... the last few haven't been so good).

This just hasn't happened with the Tigers. Until 2017, they'd been our bunnies for years. And when they finally flipped the tables in that 2017 QF, we haven't really fired a shot back since. Sure, the 2nd 2018 H&A game was close and we put a bit of pressure on them in the first half of some finals. But most of the games - 1st 2018 H&A, 2019 final, 2020 H&A, 2020 GF - the Cats were never really in a position to win the game in the last 10-15 minutes. So it was more a case of "same s**t, different game" - and that's not conducive for rivalries. There has to be some give and take.

(You might say Hawks fans could've said the same thing, but the fact almost every game went down to the wire, the intensity and desperate hope was always there. When they won in 2013, there was incredible relief as much as excitement for them. Maybe if the Cats steal a final back in the next year or two, it redefines things a little... but I think Richmond have been the clearly better team and no real rivalry exists.)

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

Don't think any teams have a rivalry with each other any more. They just run 12ks and get paid.
Just the SA and WA teams a bit.
As supporters? Nah not really. I think your gonna have to wait till Carlton get good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back