Oppo Camp Opposition supporters say the strangest things

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the quality of the games plays a part in the rivalry as well?

WCE vs SYD was built off some intense, "flip of the coin" finals during the mid 2000s. Ours and the Hawks had its origins from the 1989 GF, 1991 SF, and the fact they were one of the few teams in the comp who could come to KP and beat us with any regularity. But the rekindling of that wasn't just the 2008 GF, it was the next few games where both teams went hammer and tongs at each other. Both sides seemed to want the win so badly and they always seemed evenly matched. It felt every game was going down to the last few minutes (at least until they broke the "curse", but even today it still happens - the 2nd game in 2017, both times in 2018... the last few haven't been so good).

This just hasn't happened with the Tigers. Until 2017, they'd been our bunnies for years. And when they finally flipped the tables in that 2017 QF, we haven't really fired a shot back since. Sure, the 2nd 2018 H&A game was close and we put a bit of pressure on them in the first half of some finals. But most of the games - 1st 2018 H&A, 2019 final, 2020 H&A, 2020 GF - the Cats were never really in a position to win the game in the last 10-15 minutes. So it was more a case of "same s**t, different game" - and that's not conducive for rivalries. There has to be some give and take.

(You might say Hawks fans could've said the same thing, but the fact almost every game went down to the wire, the intensity and desperate hope was always there. When they won in 2013, there was incredible relief as much as excitement for them. Maybe if the Cats steal a final back in the next year or two, it redefines things a little... but I think Richmond have been the clearly better team and no real rivalry exists.)
Nah spot on. I reckon the quality/intensity definitely plays a big part. Cats added some handy players, maybe next season we might get a cracker. The rematch should be good I reckon.

Don't think any teams have a rivalry with each other any more. They just run 12ks and get paid.
Just the SA and WA teams a bit.
As supporters? Nah not really. I think your gonna have to wait till Carlton get good.
I think you might be right there, there doesn't seem to be that real fire between any teams at the moment.

When Carlton get good? God help us all.

Wasn't sure where to post this, figure if it's stupid this is the best place to post it.

Do you guys think Richmond and Geelong feel a rivalry between each other? Specifically the teams, not so much the supporters.
Well. I don't feel one towards the Tigers, but I think Tigers supporters feel it towards Geelong after 35 years of beltings.

Players? I'm sure they want to beat each other, but its not anywhere near Geelong/Hawks rivalry IMO.

Nah spot on. I reckon the quality/intensity definitely plays a big part. Cats added some handy players, maybe next season we might get a cracker. The rematch should be good I reckon.

I think you might be right there, there doesn't seem to be that real fire between any teams at the moment.

When Carlton get good? God help us all.
I have this exact same opinion. Let’s face it we’ve all got ’special’ supporters, all of us, and usually whoever is successful at the time they seem to have the most. So right now that is your mob. But...just wait until the Blues start climbing the ladder again and then we will all know know who are the worst.

There is no rivalry. I always see Cats as a tough game and it makes me happy that somehow the Tiges have won all of the ones that matter the most.

Cats and Tiges are the only two teams that have been consistently 'up' for the last 4 years that's about it. Can't manufacture a rivalry out of that.

Crows > gone.
GWS > gone.
WCE > been good but maybe hit the wall?
Pies > almost but probably gone.

Proper rivalry is when it goes beyond the desire to win the 4 points. When they actually don't like one another for reasons beyond the game itself.

There is no rivalry. I always see Cats as a tough game and it makes me happy that somehow the Tiges have won all of the ones that matter the most.

Cats and Tiges are the only two teams that have been consistently 'up' for the last 4 years that's about it. Can't manufacture a rivalry out of that.

Crows > gone.
GWS > gone.

Proper rivalry is when it goes beyond the desire to win the 4 points. When they actually don't like one another for reasons beyond the game itself.

I'm a bit 'meh' about any suggestion of a rivalry between the Cats and Tigers.

We routinely beat you for about 20 years, so I don't begrudge the recent success you've finally enjoyed.

But I'll start getting annoyed if we, or someone else, doesn't find a way next year to overcome the ugly game you guys play.

I'm a bit 'meh' about any suggestion of a rivalry between the Cats and Tigers.

We routinely beat you for about 20 years, so I don't begrudge the recent success you've finally enjoyed.

But I'll start getting annoyed if we, or someone else, doesn't find a way next year to overcome the ugly game you guys play.

Why do you find it ugly?

I find it interesting how split the world seems to be on our game plan.

Personally I really like it, especially after years of watching my team tackle so poorly. Look at the GF just gone for example > similar disposal stats but Tigers significantly more tackles which speaks to their effort and commitment to apply pressure.

Fast, high pressure, lots of tackling and attack on the ball + ball-carrier. Most importantly it's effective against teams like Geelong who are slow, have small tanks and depend on measured keepings-off styles.

Why do you find it ugly?

Personally I really like it, especially after years of watching my team tackle so poorly. Look at the GF just gone for example > similar disposal stats but Tigers significantly more tackles which speaks to their effort and commitment to apply pressure.

Fast, high pressure, lots of tackling and attack on the ball + ball-carrier. Most importantly it's effective against teams like Geelong who are slow, have small tanks and depend on measured keepings-off styles.
The world isn't split. Richmond fans love the success it brought. Neutrals hate watching it, and supporters of your opponents hate watching it. Its ugly football that suits your players and is successful in finals against certain teams. Fortunately for Richmond, you have gotten those certain teams in the finals that matter each year bar 2018.

The world isn't split. Richmond fans love the success it brought. Neutrals hate watching it, and supporters of your opponents hate watching it. Its ugly football that suits your players and is successful in finals against certain teams. Fortunately for Richmond, you have gotten those certain teams in the finals that matter each year bar 2018.
I don't consider Richmond sufficiently to hate them. Don't like them, find their supporters unpleasant, and don't particularly like them continually posting on this board to remind us of their success this year. Because that is what it is.

There’s nothing wrong with their game because they win. Ross Lyon would be a genius if he won those grand finals and his style of footy is enough to turn you away from the game. Richmond are a long way from Ross Lyon levels of boredom

Why do you find it ugly?

This is key. Particularly in our last three games there has been a definite pattern of us being up in the first half and you lot charging over the top of us in the second. That's fitness. That's tank. Richmond are a fantastic endurance side. There's been talk of Geelong being this great last-quarter side for a wee while now, but we aint no Richmond Tigers are we?

Plus Dusty. Triple Norm Smith medal winner. Players like that just aren't 'normal'!:p

This is key. Particularly in our last three games there has been a definite pattern of us being up in the first half and you lot charging over the top of us in the second. That's fitness. That's tank. Richmond are a fantastic endurance side. There's been talk of Geelong being this great last-quarter side for a wee while now, but we aint no Richmond Tigers are we?

Plus Dusty. Triple Norm Smith medal winner. Players like that just aren't 'normal'!:p
Considering they had a player knocked out at the start too.
Not sure if it's all tank though. Hardwick said he just had to make one change at half time and explain it to them and that was it! All over.
It's game style too.
We're all calling them ugly and they kind of are but our style of chip and stop was bloody unwatchable at times this year.
Got a lot better for finals though which was good.

There’s nothing wrong with their game because they win. Ross Lyon would be a genius if he won those grand finals and his style of footy is enough to turn you away from the game. Richmond are a long way from Ross Lyon levels of boredom
They are happy because they win, as would Freo fans if they won playing boring football during 2012-2015.
Saints played ******* exciting football during 2009 and most of 2010.

As a neutral, I found Richmond matches, Collingwood matches, and teams in the bottom 5 the worst to watch. For the bottom 5 its because bad talent/bad coaching, for Pies and Richmond its boring game play.

Considering they had a player knocked out at the start too.
Not sure if it's all tank though. Hardwick said he just had to make one change at half time and explain it to them and that was it! All over.
It's game style too.
We're all calling them ugly and they kind of are but our style of chip and stop was bloody unwatchable at times this year.
Got a lot better for finals though which was good.

Its why there is a big group of us on here that want Scott gone. Will not win a flag with his game style, don't have the elite talent to pull it off. This year, with low injuries and shorter matches was the best chance we get. And we still got run over the top of in the second half of the match. Again.
So we go into matches next year, having recruited more older players, and we expect the game plan that is just not effective in high pressure finals is magically going to work next year?

That said, now we have Hawkins and Cameron and probably Dangerfield forward, we absolutely MUST change our gameplan to suit what we now have.

Why do you find it ugly?

Richmond Union is ugly dude. Rolling maul. Hack it forward. It's divided the football world. Richmond fans think it's great but the rest of us find it unspeakable. I'd like it as well if it won us three flags after being in the wilderness for decades, I get that. But let's be honest here, your game is ******* ugly. Successful yes, but ******* ugly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond Union is ugly dude. Rolling maul. Hack it forward. It's divided the football world. Richmond fans think it's great but the rest of us find it unspeakable. I'd like it as well if it won us three flags after being in the wilderness for decades, I get that. But let's be honest here, your game is ******* ugly. Successful yes, but ******* ugly.

This.

They are happy because they win, as would Freo fans if they won playing boring football during 2012-2015.
Saints played ******* exciting football during 2009 and most of 2010.

As a neutral, I found Richmond matches, Collingwood matches, and teams in the bottom 5 the worst to watch. For the bottom 5 its because bad talent/bad coaching, for Pies and Richmond its boring game play.

Why are you pretending that we are much better? When we shut a game down, we really shut it down and that’s peak boredom for others. Our defence can be amazing like that but it would be unbearable as a spectator if I were a neutral.

Why are you pretending that we are much better? When we shut a game down, we really shut it down and that’s peak boredom for others. Our defence can be amazing like that but it would be unbearable as a spectator if I were a neutral.

The thing is we complain about that when we do shut a game down and either chip the ball around or hug the boundary. Hopefully with two gun forwards roaming the attacking 50 we move the ball quickly down the corridor in 2021.

The thing is we complain about that when we do shut a game down and either chip the ball around or hug the boundary. Hopefully with two gun forwards roaming the attacking 50 we move the ball quickly down the corridor in 2021.
We already had two guns up forward. The second one being Dahlhaus. Issue is he doesn’t play as a gun for us like he did at the Dogs. I do get your point in that you meant talls and Cameron being the second.

We already had two guns up forward. The second one being Dahlhaus. Issue is he doesn’t play as a gun for us like he did at the Dogs. I do get your point in that you meant talls and Cameron being the second.
We have only had one elite forward in Hawkins. We now have two. Our current gameplan won't maximise their output.

We also now risk having a team thats too tall and not mobile enough. Scott loves his tall defenders, and now we are likely to have a forwardline that at times will have Cameron, Hawkins, Dangerfield and Rohan in it.

If we go back to the ball movement of 2013/2014 we will win the flag next year.

Try & fault Dahl’s 2015-2017 stats. Gun.
You mean when he was running through the Bulldogs midfield?

Not sure how his time in the Bulldogs midfield make him a gun forward at Geelong

I'm not anti Dahlhaus and think he has a role to play at Geelong, and has been a serviceable player since he joined - I would like to see more consistency from him though in terms of hitting the scoreboard

But not sure he falls into the "gun forward" category or if too many would classify him as one

Crows > gone.
GWS > gone.

Holy crap. When I think of sides that we were competing with for premierships with I think of Hawks, Sydney, Freo, and well Collingwood and the saints

Hey Cats fans. I hope it's ok I post in here (I couldn’t find a media or season review thread).

In our latest podcast my mate and I do, we continue our 2020 club reviews, discussing Geelong this time.

From the 23.24min mark, we talk about the year the Cats had.

Give it a listen if you have a spare 20mins & wanting to consume some external opinions on your club while you patiently wait for 2021 to kick-off.

Footy Focus Podcast Ep 32 – 2021 – Club Reviews – Carlton Blues & Geelong Cats

Recorded on the 22nd January 2021

- What worked, what failed, who deserves a pay rise & who needs a big 2021
- Plus, key list changes, our best 22, grade for 2020 & 2021 projection

Geelong @ 23.24
- Another outstanding year, however, sense of déjà vu in GF vs Tigers
- Positives & negatives from shortened season with travel as guns honoured in BnF finish & AA squad
- Midfield support for ‘Dangerwood’ arrives in many forms & fresh faces continue to develop
- Steven retires with 9 games as a Cat while speed out of defence one of few weaknesses
- Naks’ impressed by Parfitt’s year while Shez applauds Menagola’s AA quality season
- Familiar whipping boys Stanley & Rohan in the gun, even after better seasons
- Holmes to provide MAXimum dash, Neale needs time to develop as No 1 ruck & is Stevens another Wells gem draft pick?
- High profile recruits certain starters, but can Stephens, De Koning, Ratugolea etc push for best 22 spots

Hey Cats fans. I hope it's ok I post in here (I couldn’t find a media or season review thread).

In our latest podcast my mate and I do, we continue our 2020 club reviews, discussing Geelong this time.

From the 23.24min mark, we talk about the year the Cats had.

Give it a listen if you have a spare 20mins & wanting to consume some external opinions on your club while you patiently wait for 2021 to kick-off.

Footy Focus Podcast Ep 32 – 2021 – Club Reviews – Carlton Blues & Geelong Cats

Recorded on the 22nd January 2021

- What worked, what failed, who deserves a pay rise & who needs a big 2021
- Plus, key list changes, our best 22, grade for 2020 & 2021 projection

Geelong @ 23.24
- Another outstanding year, however, sense of déjà vu in GF vs Tigers
- Positives & negatives from shortened season with travel as guns honoured in BnF finish & AA squad
- Midfield support for ‘Dangerwood’ arrives in many forms & fresh faces continue to develop
- Steven retires with 9 games as a Cat while speed out of defence one of few weaknesses
- Naks’ impressed by Parfitt’s year while Shez applauds Menagola’s AA quality season
- Familiar whipping boys Stanley & Rohan in the gun, even after better seasons
- Holmes to provide MAXimum dash, Neale needs time to develop as No 1 ruck & is Stevens another Wells gem draft pick?
- High profile recruits certain starters, but can Stephens, De Koning, Ratugolea etc push for best 22 spots

Will give it a listen when I get home mate cheers for generating the content

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back