Mod. Notice Opposition trolls and quality of posting

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a troll, but a fact.

Certainly debatable. And we have. Many times.

Is it that people can't handle trolls, or they can't handle the truth?

I don't mind genuine knuckleheads being shown the door - but when a troll repackages the whole truth and nothing but the truth and you're sensitive to it, it says a lot.
Say wut?

So, in the right context you should be able to post a fact on the port board - 119 point loss in a grand final for example...or port intentionally cheated by tampering with the draft giving money to players to withhold nomination.

yep, good luck with that.

Say wut?

So, in the right context you should be able to post a fact on the port board - 119 point loss in a grand final for example...or port intentionally cheated by tampering with the draft giving money to players to withhold nomination.

yep, good luck with that.

Not necessarily saying it should be allowed, but I'm saying it might be an opportunity to reflect on some of the rationalizations our club has indulged in to explain away the sins of the past, rationalizations that are fast catching on to fans.

"Crouch cancels out the 2012 penalties."

"Laird and Hartigan cancels out the 2013 penalties."

"We've been a successful club over the last decade."

"Neil Craig was just unlucky."

"The easy decision would have been to sack Trigg."

Rationalizations like these are far more damaging than any troll could ever be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What really pisses me off is the hypocrites.

I don't care if you support Port Adelaide, Collingwood, Carlton or who ever, as long as they show us respect. If they want to post crap about us, anywhere else on Big Footy, that's fine but then don't come onto this board with the 'nice as pie attitude' expecting us to welcome you as if your the queen and treat you with respect.

It's the horseshit they post on the Port board and then come hear and expect us to engage in pleasant conversation as if we don't know the s**t attitude they talk about us. This is when I expect an infraction to be handed out - regardless of what they say.

If you have a clean record, fine. Some do and some are very good posters but some are real nutters whop can not even allow a charitable event thread get created without adding smut, innuendo and negative comments about us.

Port Adelaide are feral *ers with small johnnies and no teeth and I would never post on that board, so they can go get ****ed if they think you can call me a hypocrite.

I've spent a lot of time in the company of both Crows fans and Port fans, liking some, disliking others. Here's what I've found to be almost universally true:

Crows supporters are exceedingly tolerant of Port supporters and show recognition of their club's achievements, taking part in rational debate and offering the opposition credit where it's due.

Port supporters (especially dyed-in-the-wool, old school Magpies supporters ) are, in stark contrast, exceedingly intolerant and almost psychotically critical of anything Crow-related. Most of these Port supporters refuse to give credit to ANYTHING the Crows have done to universal acclaim. Period.

My answer as to why : I believe the identity of many Port supporters is so heavily tied to their football club, that when the club takes a hit, their identity also suffers and this is personally unpalatable to them. It makes them much more defensive.

I like some Port supporters, but many of them are simply grotesque robo-human caricatures of themselves. They are good for house parties and the occasional dose of banter, but that's it. And their women are easier to impress. So there's that too.

The tolerant (us) are those who are more socially aware. The intolerant (them) are too wrapped up in how their football club shapes their ego - so don't expect any kind of rational debate or a good natured response to the occasional dig. *

* This post may or may not be a troll.

Not necessarily saying it should be allowed, but I'm saying it might be an opportunity to reflect on some of the rationalizations our club has indulged in to explain away the sins of the past, rationalizations that are fast catching on to fans.

"Crouch cancels out the 2012 penalties."

"Laird and Hartigan cancels out the 2013 penalties."

"We've been a successful club over the last decade."

"Neil Craig was just unlucky."

"The easy decision would have been to sack Trigg."

Rationalizations like these are far more damaging than any troll could ever be.
But Slippery, we are talking about trolling. The differing beliefs of posters should never excuse the cheap shot/pointscoring we have to put up with from Power posters who think that because Port won the premiership this year:confused::rolleyes: , they have the upper ground or moral right to come onto this board and be snide.

I don't know of what use it will be, but from now I'll take the advice of moderators and report every smart arsed underhanded comment I come across, whether they are fact or not. How many times do we have to be reminded we don't have 1st or 2nd round draft picks e.g. ? When it doesn't need to be said, it is purely point scoring.

I think the Adelaide board should be protected from that kind of purile annoyance.

I don't know of what use it will be, but from now I'll take the advice of moderators and report every smart arsed underhanded comment I come across, whether they are fact or not. How many times do we have to be reminded we don't have 1st or 2nd round draft picks e.g. ? When it doesn't need to be said, it is purely point scoring.

I think the Adelaide board should be protected from that kind of purile annoyance.

But they don't do anything about it anyway. They use their own judgement and just allow it to pass through to the keeper.

Therefore, it's easier to just reply with some obscenity or profanity to make you feel better.

The irony is, that any Port supporter reading that will think you are the moron.
I don't know about irony as such but from the opposite side that SP has written from, I have found that many Crow supporters have a (help me someone as I am trying to find the right word, deep seated perhaps?) hatred of anything Port that is hard to comprehend. Not the majority but certainly more than one would expect. That deep seated hatred is something that I have rarely seen with Port supporters towards the Crows or anyone else. A superiority complex of sorts perhaps, hatred to anywhere near the same levels? No.

Yes I do not live in Adelaide (someone was bound to point this out), yes I have lived in Adelaide but more importantly relative to my statement, yes I do have friends and relatives in SA and the split would be roughly 70-30 with some (very few) that support neither team and the odd one or two that support Melbourne based teams, so I would say a very average sample.

I don't know about irony as such but from the opposite side that SP has written from, I have found that many Crow supporters have a (help me someone as I am trying to find the right word, deep seated perhaps?) hatred of anything Port that is hard to comprehend. Not the majority but certainly more than one would expect. That deep seated hatred is something that I have rarely seen with Port supporters towards the Crows or anyone else. A superiority complex of sorts perhaps, hatred to anywhere near the same levels? No.

Yes I do not live in Adelaide (someone was bound to point this out), yes I have lived in Adelaide but more importantly relative to my statement, yes I do have friends and relatives in SA and the split would be roughly 70-30 with some (very few) that support neither team and the odd one or two that support Melbourne based teams, so I would say a very average sample.

were you a Port Magpie supporter back in the SANFL glory days?

it started back then. having to put up with the arrogant flog magpie supporters from the SANFL.

it's now kept alive by the arrogant flog power supporters of the AFL. this part is chicken and egg stuff for younger supporters i'd say. do you hate the team first or their supporters? it doesn't matter, everyone learns to hate both over time.

my kids know I hate port. they don't understand why, I couldn't explain it to them in a PG rated version so I just don't. (although I am careful to make sure they know its the team I hate and not their supporters). They don't hate the power yet. i'm sure they will one day though when they have spent enough time having to interact with the nuffies for long enough.:D

whatever the reason, overall I think the hatred (or whetever level of dislike) rivalry maybe between the teams and supporters is great in the most part.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back