Oppo Camp Opposition Watch

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
what a game. That 4th quarter... i was thinking, surely we aren't doing this again hahah But this is what they train for. One of the senarios they do in training, usually in match play. Like what happens if you are a few goals down, how do you get yourself back in the game.
It's no coincidence.

Oh and that Daicos kid goes okay.
Agree with all that and I thought your mob got the job done, even when quite a few umpiring decisions didn't go your way......being a neutral, I thought it was not officiated all that well.......I'll just leave it there.

Agree with all that and I thought your mob got the job done, even when quite a few umpiring decisions didn't go your way......being a neutral, I thought it was not officiated all that well.......I'll just leave it there.
Agree. Umpiring... wasn't great. But still got the job done. Found a way through adversity.

Great day though, it's always my favourite game of the year minus finals. An Anzac Day game is something I'd recommend anyone attend, even just once. No matter who you support.

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Agree. Umpiring... wasn't great. But still got the job done. Found a way through adversity.

Great day though, it's always my favourite game of the year minus finals. An Anzac Day game is something I'd recommend anyone attend, even just once. No matter who you support.
I reckon you're right and it looks like a great day, but attending is something that has passed me by, but I get great comfort from tuning in every year, mainly for the pre-game ceremony, even though my Thai wife can't understand why the tears flow quite easily down my face, and the game is normally pretty good too.....;)

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
I notice their forward line seems more opened up too so they get away with the long bomb style into the forward 50 whereas our forward 50 is always congested into the one spot
Their forwards work harder up the ground and leave space. Ours stand around and wait for the long bomb to come in because they don't know any better.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Their forwards work harder up the ground and leave space. Ours stand around and wait for the long bomb to come in because they don't know any better.
Not really, in the last 2 games - 17 and 20 marks inside50. It depends on delivery. IMO, all talls worked quite well against North. King was leading hard in all games, just could not stick hands on the ball. Chol finally looks like working hard, got into last year form, even used his body, worked back to defence, took marks on lead. Casboult was decent too. Both Chol and Casboult helped Witts pretty well.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not really, in the last 2 games - 17 and 20 marks inside50. It depends on delivery. IMO, all talls worked quite well against North. King was leading hard in all games, just could not stick hands on the ball. Chol finally looks like working hard, got into last year form, even used his body, worked back to defence, took marks on lead. Casboult was decent too. Both Chol and Casboult helped Witts pretty well.
Seems Mabs is all about match fitness rather than pre-season torture
Saw no evidence he was pushing hard over Summer
Who knows-might prolong his career?
Kevin Bartlett famously said when he retired that he probably had 3 more footy seasons in him but no more pre-seasons

Dec 3, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I notice their forward line seems more opened up too so they get away with the long bomb style into the forward 50 whereas our forward 50 is always congested into the one spot
That's the advantage of moving the ball on fast, you get the ball out the back, If we keep chipping it around teams can zone off and eventually we're forced to kick long to a contest

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So, do people still want Clarko? He may be available later in the season :p Just kidding. But these are terrible performances by North and it's not like North is missing a lot of players. North list is not as bad as recent results, IMO. And so far Clarko played old line-ups.

ajhgcs

Team Captain
May 15, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So, do people still want Clarko? He may be available later in the season Just kidding. But these are terrible performances by North and it's not like North is missing a lot of players. North list is not as bad as recent results, IMO. And so far Clarko played old line-ups.
Seems to be a very similar position to Paul Roos at Melbourne.

My only problem with what they're doing is that they're still playing Ben Cunnington, Todd Goldstein, Jack Ziebell and Liam Shiels.
They should be focusing on getting games into young players instead.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Seems to be a very similar position to Paul Roos at Melbourne.

My only problem with what they're doing is that they're still playing Ben Cunnington, Todd Goldstein, Jack Ziebell and Liam Shiels.
They should be focusing on getting games into young players instead.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
The problem is they’ve basically drafted the same type of players 3 years in a row, elite mids and half forwards.

And that’s to go with the elite mids and half forwards they drafted in 2016 and 2017 (ok they traded in Stephenson from the 2017 draft).

They have such a glut of young inside mids and half forwards, that they can’t play them all.

What they lack are a genuine KPP spine, genuine small forwards and wings.

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3

I was interested in reading this because they can't live normal lives in Melbourne.
I wouldn't be disappointed at all if Daicos saw the light and decided to live in anonymity on the GC

IMG_0774.JPG

Time to re-unite the lads.

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions

I was interested in reading this because they can't live normal lives in Melbourne.
I wouldn't be disappointed at all if Daicos saw the light and decided to live in anonymity on the GC

100% agree with Pendles. It is ridiculous that the AFL execs get paid more than the guys putting on the show. And I am a capitalist!

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
It could also be that the wage for a CEO of an org the size of the AFL is about in line with what the AFL pays the CEO but their is no standard for the AFL to adhere to for AFL players so they just set their own standard. Would take the NRL to double their player salaries to make them do anything. Until then, they'll continue making profit on the underpaid players.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It could also be that the wage for a CEO of an org the size of the AFL is about in line with what the AFL pays the CEO but their is no standard for the AFL to adhere to for AFL players so they just set their own standard. Would take the NRL to double their player salaries to make them do anything. Until then, they'll continue making profit on the underpaid players.
Time for a breakaway comp a la World Series Cricket
It took Packer and Channel 9 to make the world understand that the ACB was there for the players and the game not the other way around
Maybe AFL needs the same shakeup?

Back