Banter Opposition Welcome - Freo Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course it would be great for Freo but just from a footy lovers perspective how interesting would a Sandi , Fyfe and Cripps combo be
That one would deserve a nickname ...... monsters of the midfield or something

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

So to cause maximum chaos to a Host club you lodge all the RFA claims at the same time.

First minute of RFA trade week:
Freo offer Jeremy McGovern $1M+ as a RFA. Hawks offer Gaff $1M+ as a RFA. Cats offer Lycett $1M+ as a RFA.

WC can only match 1 or 2 at most. The others could then exercise they right to request a trade.
Lol
As soon as anybody offers 1 million for Lycett, he is gone
That would be serious overs

Blues get both Mcgoverns and Dylan Shiel.
Lose Patrick Cripps.

Eagles get Kelly and Cripps
Lose J Mcgovern and Lycett.

Freo get from elsewhere. But all reports is that Mitch Mcgovern wants to go the Blues.

Angus Brayshaw sounds like a good bet for you mob.
6 year deals are on the table for J.McGovern incl. from Freo. WCE are on the record saying they won’t go the 6th year so they won’t match the bid. Originally it was 4 but seems they are willing to go 5 years but on much less cash.

Apparently North have a 7 year bid on the table for Gaff. Again can’t see WCE matching that.

For both players it comes down to loyalty - they either sign for less years (ie around 5 max) and on less cash or take the FA option. There will be no traditional trade for either of them.

J.McGovern came out yesterday and said all the trade stuff surrounding his brother Mitch is BS. He expects them to play together after careers are done down in Albany.

This WC poster won’t like it but Freo are a big show for J. McGovern.

Also Patrick Cripps is going nowhere full stop. You need to stop giving yourself a hand. I also believe Angus Brayshaw will re-sign.

You’re a bit obsessed with brothers and cousins playing together (Cripps x 2 WC, McGovern x 2 Carlton & Brayshaw x 2 Freo).

Ed Langdon to Collingwood.
Surely Neville Jetta is related in someway to Lewis Jetta so he goes to WC as a FA
Ed Phillips joins his brother Tom at Collingwood.
Mac Weller as a Delisted FA back to GCS.

Last edited:
7 years for Gaff is astonishing really. I prefer to see some loyalty and I don't think he warrants a contract of that duration, but if it's true there's no way he doesn't accept that.

7 years for Gaff is astonishing really. I prefer to see some loyalty and I don't think he warrants a contract of that duration, but if it's true there's no way he doesn't accept that.
I agree but imagine taking it and being stuck at Carlton for 7 years.

They could easily still be toilet during that whole contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why we are still chasing JMG. He typically plays 3rd tall defender with lots of intercept marking.

Prefer either Wilson or Ryan in that role to be honest. Both have better leg speed and longer kicks. JMG has experience and what over them.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure why we are still chasing JMG. He typically plays 3rd tall defender with lots of intercept marking.

Prefer either Wilson or Ryan in that role to be honest. Both have better leg speed and longer kicks. JMG has experience and what over them.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
As good as Luke is in the air, JGov is better. Wilson is not even remotely in either of the two's league for marking.

You could try and play Luke as Gov plays but frankly he is too small to do it against forward lines with 200cm players. He'd be reliant on another defender holding the big forwards on the ground.

Also considerably underselling Gov's footskills. Probably not as good as Luke, but he is a 55m kick and a very good one at that.

As good as Luke is in the air, JGov is better. Wilson is not even remotely in either of the two's league for marking.

You could try and play Luke as Gov plays but frankly he is too small to do it against forward lines with 200cm players. He'd be reliant on another defender holding the big forwards on the ground.

Also considerably underselling Gov's footskills. Probably not as good as Luke, but he is a 55m kick and a very good one at that.
Gov is a pretty good kick and decision maker rarely coughs it up .Don't know how he he will go in Freo's game plan though when looks up everyone is still behind him.

We do know he doesn't look that comfortable up forward.
Croad was the same, Connolly went down the road of trading picks for players, and selling the future for now.
Add Tarrant, I think it was Scott who helped him turn around his career as a backman later on.
Mark Harvey was an average coach but he laid the foundations of our rebuild.
Feels like history is starting to repeat itself, and we are at the crossroads.

Croad was the same, Connolly went down the road of trading picks for players, and selling the future for now.
Add Tarrant, I think it was Scott who helped him turn around his career as a backman later on.

Harvey was a train wreck, i wouldn't credit him with laying the foundations. He did a horrible job as was proven when we got a good coach in.

Anyone in his position would have done the same or better.

Our list was never great, even in the 2013 GF appearance. There's no excuses for Lyon come 2020 as he will have had the chance to build and develop a list from scratch.

I think as a free agent (you give up no draft picks) we need to take him.

We have 5 or 6 A graders, but we badly need some more depth players and he will make everyone in our back line look better.

I think as a free agent (you give up no draft picks) we need to take him.

We have 5 or 6 A graders, but we badly need some more depth players and he will make everyone in our back line look better.
Yeah I agree. No brainer as a FA.

The only counter arguments are:
a) he will stall Griff which is true because can't see him getting a run over JGov in the backline - he'd have to play somewhere else
b) salary - obviously he'd be frontloaded since we don't really have anyone else to pay at the moment. The risk is if we don't have the spare cap later as a result of Gov we may miss on some other FAs. IMO bird in the hand - it is not like we have great success getting gun players over. If we finally attracted one you have to take them

I still don't think he is leaving. He is just getting his price up from Eagles. Game of chicken with them. We'd only get him if their current "final offer" was actually their final offer.

So are we inviting Scott back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back