Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)

Remove this Banner Ad

No you don't

Was being half serious. But because I tend to do things myself in my own way tend to clash at times. Don't really care either way now a days much anyway. They can do their thing I'll do mine and don't really much care beyond that. Everyone has to live their life.

As to OP. Pick your battles. Whatever you want to achieve have 1 or 2 points and emphasise that. If you try and police every little thing you will just alienate.

I teach a few students with ODD. The trick is to not engage in a power struggle with them. Have a plan for the student that they agree with so that nothing takes them by surprise. If you give them an instruction, give it to them with a consequence it they don't comply, then walk away. Give them a choice. "You can do your work or you can have a 15 minute detention". Don't wait for an answer. If they give you lip as you walk away just ignore it then talk to them about it later if you feel the need. Develop a relationship with them so that they don't see you as a foe but as an ally. This means rewarding positive behaviour. Find an interest point with the student. One of the students I teach is fascinated with the Titanic so I will often discuss the Titanic with him.

At lunchtime this week one of the deputies had a student with ODD backed up in a corner the other day and of course the student was coming out fighting. Because I had a relationship with the student I was able to calm her and dissolve the situation. The student ended up getting a suspension for things she had said but I felt it was a bit unfair as the way the deputy handled the situation was completely wrong for a student with ODD.

I teach a few students with ODD. The trick is to not engage in a power struggle with them. Have a plan for the student that they agree with so that nothing takes them by surprise. If you give them an instruction, give it to them with a consequence it they don't comply, then walk away. Give them a choice. "You can do your work or you can have a 15 minute detention". Don't wait for an answer. If they give you lip as you walk away just ignore it then talk to them about it later if you feel the need. Develop a relationship with them so that they don't see you as a foe but as an ally. This means rewarding positive behaviour. Find an interest point with the student. One of the students I teach is fascinated with the Titanic so I will often discuss the Titanic with him.

At lunchtime this week one of the deputies had a student with ODD backed up in a corner the other day and of course the student was coming out fighting. Because I had a relationship with the student I was able to calm her and dissolve the situation. The student ended up getting a suspension for things she had said but I felt it was a bit unfair as the way the deputy handled the situation was completely wrong for a student with ODD.

My wife was an EA and she was specifically placed into a classroom with a 5 year old boy with ODD and ADHD although it was a long time before anyone knew because the parents (mother in particular) was in denial and wouldn't take him to Perth to have him assessed.

My wife would regularly come home with bruises and bite marks on her, I was almost tempted to sling one of the older kids a 20 or 50 to smack him in the mouth to see if it would do any good. The family had 3 other good kids who we knew and we thought maybe the mother was in denial because sending him to school gave her some respite.

They would regularly have to evacuate the classroom as he laid waste to it.

In the end they got him assessed and had him drugged to the eyeballs.

My wife was an EA and she was specifically placed into a classroom with a 5 year old boy with ODD and ADHD although it was a long time before anyone knew because the parents (mother in particular) was in denial and wouldn't take him to Perth to have him assessed.

My wife would regularly come home with bruises and bite marks on her, I was almost tempted to sling one of the older kids a 20 or 50 to smack him in the mouth to see if it would do any good. The family had 3 other good kids who we knew and we thought maybe the mother was in denial because sending him to school gave her some respite.

They would regularly have to evacuate the classroom as he laid waste to it.

In the end they got him assessed and had him drugged to the eyeballs.
That sounds more like ODD that turned in to conduct disorder?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back