Optimism Levels For 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I was very bullish for 2020 thinking top 4, it was not be for a variety of reasons. Naughton, Dunkley injuries, Bruce not living up to expectations, covid rules ?, selection especially ruck and key defence. I am even more optimistic for 2021 being true to my user name. Ruck greatly improved, midfield best in the comp with Treloar added, JUH who knows what he can bring this season plus natural improvement from West, VDM, Weightman a fitter Bruce and a hungry Young. Bring on 2021 cannot wait.

I cannot wait for 2021 when statistics will return to normal levels with the resumption of normal game time, no that's a lie i have still been filling up the books with trivial facts and stats from the shortened season. How we will balance the team from week to week and who with grasp opportunity given a second tier competition is a great fascination even the wise woman cannot forecast as yet.

Optimism level = HIGH.

I think we have balanced the team with some smart recruiting. Mid field looks super strong.
We have talent up forward and better options down back.
Providing we remain healthy we have every chance of going deep in September.

KM

I was very bullish for 2020 thinking top 4, it was not be for a variety of reasons. Naughton, Dunkley injuries, Bruce not living up to expectations, covid rules ?, selection especially ruck and key defence. I am even more optimistic for 2021 being true to my user name. Ruck greatly improved, midfield best in the comp with Treloar added, JUH who knows what he can bring this season plus natural improvement from West, VDM, Weightman a fitter Bruce and a hungry Young. Bring on 2021 cannot wait.
I was optimistic until about 3 hours ago. Now I just hope to be able get to some games.

I was optimistic until about 3 hours ago. Now I just hope to be able get to some games.
Yea I bloody agree with this... Just feel flat knowing that we're likely to go through all of that sh1t again.
Can they please just not allow anyone into Australia until there is a vaccine.
All these outbreaks are from overseas travellers.
F*CK

Agree. I'm having deja vu feelings (all over again).

Predicting the future isn't what it used to be. Who would have anticipated that?

Agree. I'm having deja vu feelings (all over again).

Predicting the future isn't what it used to be. Who would have anticipated that?

Do not think it is all doom and gloom. We have proven we can get the numbers down to zero and surely have learnt more about quarantine again the source in Sydney and then Melbourne. I would love to see all quarantine centres moved away from capital cities. Is Puckapunyal an option for Melbourne? The virus is difficult to combat but we are learning better ways to combat it as we go and vaccine is going to help soon. This is Australia not USA.

Go dogs with crowds 2021.

Do not think it is all doom and gloom. We have proven we can get the numbers down to zero and surely have learnt more about quarantine again the source in Sydney and then Melbourne. I would love to see all quarantine centres moved away from capital cities. Is Puckapunyal an option for Melbourne? The virus is difficult to combat but we are learning better ways to combat it as we go and vaccine is going to help soon. This is Australia not USA.

Just because 2020 is ticking over to 2021 don't expect anything to change. Life will continue to be very different from dear old 2019, until they get a vaccine that CURES the disease (is that possible?) instead of just reducing symptoms. We will have premiers bobbing up to close borders and lock us down until then. It will play havoc once again with the footy codes - hubs, sudden last-minute changes of venue, isolation prior to games, reduced crowds, players and clubs getting themselves fined for not following "covid-safe" rules.

Quarantine in remote areas would be a logistical nightmare - transporting them, guarding them, cleaning them, keeping them supplied with food and other necessities, etc etc.

But on the optimistic side - our team is looking good, if only they get a chance to show it! :)

Just because 2020 is ticking over to 2021 don't expect anything to change. Life will continue to be very different from dear old 2019, until they get a vaccine that CURES the disease (is that possible?) instead of just reducing symptoms. We will have premiers bobbing up to close borders and lock us down until then. It will play havoc once again with the footy codes - hubs, sudden last-minute changes of venue, isolation prior to games, reduced crowds, players and clubs getting themselves fined for not following "covid-safe" rules.

Quarantine in remote areas would be a logistical nightmare - transporting them, guarding them, cleaning them, keeping them supplied with food and other necessities, etc etc.

But on the optimistic side - our team is looking good, if only they get a chance to show it! :)
Many commentators have been arguing for remote quarantine. It's the traditional and proven model (usually an island or a remote part of the country such as a headland) where (a) escape of inmates and disease was difficult and (b) the quarantine environment is more congenial for mental health (ability to get outdoors safely, connect with nature, bush views or ocean views, etc).

Managing them safely would be less a nightmare than it is for multi-story hotels in the middle of the city because it's far easier to put a firm containment line around them. Howard Springs, Rottnest Island, are recent examples. I suspect hotels were only used as a way of compensating them for lack of trade during lockdown. It has an appealing but simplistic logic - i.e. an underused facility that is suffering financial pain matched with a need to house incoming travellers for a fortnight.

Vaccines will certainly help but we need to temper our optimism:
1. Vaccines (at least the mRNA ones like Pfizer and Moderna) help reduce the seriousness of the disease you get from infection but don't stop the infection itself and don't stop you becoming a carrier/spreader. So it's good if you have received the vaccine yourself but not much good if you haven't and were hoping to be protected by herd immunity (admittedly it's still hard to get consistent professional opinion on this, but that's my understanding).
2. How long will it take to immunise the 20+million people who will want a vaccine? Joe Biden recently said it may take years to get all those who want the jab vaccinated in the USA. Yes they have more people than us but they have more health care people to deliver vaccines too. So my guess is it will take most of 2021 to roll out the vaccine here. Hope it's faster but I'm not optimistic about that.

In summary DRU is right. It will continue to play havoc with the game at all levels. And things may change very quickly at any point in (or before) the season.:(

In theory our side should be entering itsprime years now as our core players add age, strength and experience to their undeniable raw ability. These should be Bont's best years.

Last edited:
I am always optimistic but this year we go into the season stronger than last year, we played finals last year and we have a young team that will get consistently better for the next five years and then maybe a different outlook.

On-ball has league leading talent: Bont, Macrae, Trelor, Libba, Dunkley and Smith. Who has a better starting 6. With Hunter and Daniel in the mix and West and Garcia coming on this is our strength.

Ruck is better - Martin is a star we have caused for years. Sure he is old but so is Mumford and one more year for English this time getting protection will make him and hopefully Sweet comes along.

Forwards are better. Not expecting too much from Hannan - I really like him and hope he does well but Hemant a star or he would be playing each week for the demons. Having big said that he was great at Footscray and this is his best chance. Weightman is a star and just needs to develop - will show something this year.

Don’t want to put any pressure on Marra but likely to play some games and not often we get a number 1 draft pick so ultimately we are statically likely to have a star. He and Naughton will be a huge handful of years.

Perhaps most of all is the domino effect - English and Martin mean we both win more clearances and get English Playing forward. This also releases Bruce of Naughty to go back if needed. Trelor into the midfield and developing Smith and VDM means that
Bont can play more forward and makes that match up a nightmare for opposition.

Defence (other than the swingback) is not materially better or worse. Gardiner was definitely a better player toward the end of the year and only Wood could drop with age. Keath is still in his prime and just needs done help so he is not wasted wrestling with monsters but can become the intercept market we seek.

Hopefully Young and Khamis can come along - Bedendo could be something but is too young to expect anything. Along with Ruck this remains our Achilles heel - teams will try and get the ball down quickly and won’t care about being messy if they back their forwards to outplay our defenders.

We have spot left that could
be used on Oscar MacDonald (doesn’t matter if he isn’t training with us I think? ) not much else around it given the apparent lack of focus from the recruiting team I expect they have a plan from within.....

Overall - we add Trelor, Martin and a
a fit VDM to our finals team last year and we could have gone much further. I reckon we are looking good for the top 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other thing is the damage that is being caused to the lower levels of Aussie Rules footy. So many competitions cancelled or severely curtailed. This year’s draftees have had little game time. No VFL comp means development has not happened for our next-level players. Careers will be unrealised for many young hopefuls.

Josh Bruce is such a competitive beast.

I really don't see how we lose a game all year.

We’ll arguably have the best midfield in the comp however I’m not sure the forward and backlines are sorted yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back