Optimism Levels For 2021

I’m a little worried about how Bevo will adapt to the new man on the mark rule. For better or worse much of our game plan revolves around our whole-of-team defence which relies heavily on guys guarding space. Not being able to protect space from the mark will open a lot of territory for opposition to create space and propel forward. On the flip side, it will be a huge advantage to our running backs and strong kickers who have a bit more space to hit targets and run. I love the rule change but am worried about the consequences for us. It’s not like we have the best recent history of adapting well to rule changes either.
Do you have a link to these new rule(s)?

On a related topic - crikey I'm fed up with the friggin' AFL. Autocratic Fiddlers with the Laws.
Beyond a joke. Year after year after year.

Just leave the game alone for a few years, FFS. Stop trying to emulate the latest invention of some marketing wonks in the USA or wherever. We already have the best game in the world. The greatest threat to that is the people in charge of it. Stop trying to bring it back to the field.

On a related topic - crikey I'm fed up with the friggin' AFL. Autocratic Fiddlers with the Laws.

Just leave the game alone for a few years, FFS. Stop trying to emulate the latest invention of some marketing wonks in the USA or wherever. We already have the best game in the world. The greatest threat to that is the people in charge of it. Stop trying to bring it back to the field.

see my sig

The Buck

All Australian
Sep 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I couldn't agree more. I suppose the AFL has to justify the big salaries paid to its army of executives.
As for obeisance to American ways, they (up until Covid) would send delegations out each year to glean ideas, from a system based on a massive College competition and private ownership, and try to graft these ideas onto a completely different system reliant on local and regional competitions and club memberships. Meanwhile local footy is dying on the vine in many regions, Tassie in particular.

The cultural cringe lives!

Standing room only: the small AFL rule tweak changing the game

I actually like the change. I've never liked the way the man on the mark slows the game down and I like this throwback to under 9s. I honestly can't believe they didn't look at this change a long time ago. Clarko mastered this 15 years ago to give his team time to set up the cluster and I was delighted when we finally adopted similar tactics when Bevo started.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I don’t like that a player has to stand still on the mark for a shot at goal. Doesn’t that mean players can’t jump on the mark also ?

I don’t like that a player has to stand still on the mark for a shot at goal. Doesn’t that mean players can’t jump on the mark also ?
The way I understood it they might still be able to jump but can only do a standing jump, i.e. no going back a couple of metres and running in with a big jump just as the player kicks.

See the link posted by Woof a couple of posts back. That has a more detailed description of the new rule.

I'm just gonna leave this here...

1613462963044.png

Back