Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 29, 2001
Perth
Other Teams
Eagles
In which game did the Eagles play their best footy in 2001?

Our victories came against two pathetic clubs in StKilda and Fremantle, and I'm not sure we saw the players at their best in those games.

Personally I thought it was the Round.11 match against the Brisbane Lions. It was the game that probably gave me the most optimism for the future as well.

The eventual margin was 22 points, but I don't think it was a true reflection of how close the game was.
In fact if it hadn't started to pour down with rain, we might have even snatched a win. :eek:

Gardy gave Clark Keating a real thrashing, and Michael Voss was well and truly beaten by Ben Cousins.

The defence also performed well. Even though Milli was injured and Jako was at Centre Half Forward.
Carroll won his battle with Lynch, and young Travis Gaspar showed his talent with a victory over Jonathan Brown.

It was the only game in which I saw the team play with real vigour and spirit. They fought tooth and nail for every contested ball, and whenever the Lions had the ball there was a tonne of pressure put on them by our players.

The point is, that this match showed that if the Eagles play four quarters of solid footy, fight for every contested ball, apply constant pressure to the opposition, and are in the right frame of mind, that they can still be a competitive force in the AFL.

If Woosha can get the best out of our players, we have a bit better luck with injuries, and the spirit returns to the club, then I don't think we'll be the cellar dweller that everyone seems to be predicting.

Our rd18 win over St. Kilda. When I jumped onto the net to check the progressive scores I thought the AFL website was screwing up or something since the eagles had a 100pt lead in the 3rd quarter.

Embley showed glimpses of what he's capable of with 4goals, Cousins and Fletcher dominated the midfield with 30+ possessions each and Gardiner had a ripper in the ruck. Roo and Jako also had good games and we saw the arrival of Haynes who collected 20 touches(give or take) and kicked a couple goals.

It was a good warmup match for the derby and funnily enough both WCE and Freo went into that derby in winning form (1 win each, hehehe).

Im with you Buzz, that game against Brisbane would have to have been the best we played all last season. It holds even more weight now that they went on to be premiers but i still thought it was a great effort against a top team. I also liked our win over Melbourne, at the time last years runner up so it held some water.

Our win against Melbourne, it started off with the Demons getting to a 3 goal lead and i was thinking "here we go again" but to their credit the boys fought back

Unlike most games they didnt concede defeat, they kept plugging at it and that win was just awesome

The Melbourne win because of the spirit the boys played that day to come from behind and get the 4 points. Farmer was at his usual best that day, walking several laps of Subi Oval with Shane "I wax my legs" Woewodin.

The St Kilda Round 18 win was also a beauty because it showed how well the boys can play well as a team.

I was at the Round 18 win against StKilda, and i just wanna ask everyone here, was our team just awesome or were StKilda just really bad??

Or a bit of both?

Originally posted by GoEagles
The Melbourne win because of the spirit the boys played that day to come from behind and get the 4 points. Farmer was at his usual best that day, walking several laps of Subi Oval with Shane "I wax my legs" Woewodin.

The St Kilda Round 18 win was also a beauty because it showed how well the boys can play well as a team.

Yeah i remember that that was the first game i really decided that Jones would be a great player. He absolutely towelled up the at the time reigning brownlow medalist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back