• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

ffs ..you’re in la la land

name one premiership side that didn’t have a rock solid back 6

go ahead and wallow in pessimism

i for one am very positive about next year

for a variety of reasons

we shall soon see
Wow. I said it was a meaningless statement. Because it is.

Every side that has won the flag since 2007 has been top 5 in inside 50 differential bar one (Sydney 2012). The last two seasons we've finished 12th and 15th for that particular statistic. The best defenders in history could do * all if there's no pressure up the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

Optimistic, not for wins necessarily, but for a path out of no mans land.

The place was stale. Learnings and Worsfold in hindsight should've finished up after 2018. Waiting for Daniher for 3 years ruined us completely. Injuries have dogged us since 2017. I think having so much firepower on the list injured for 3 years is about as painful as it gets for supporters. Its a tease. At least when you are rebuilding you know where you're headed.

We know what the plan was and i have no problem with the attempt we made.

B Saad Hooker Ambrose
HB McKenna Hurley Ridley
C Merrett Heppell Langford
HF Fantasia Stewart Smith
FF AMT Daniher Stringer
R Draper Shiel McGrath
INT Francis Parish Laverde Redman

We just didn't get to see it, and if that 22 played together enough to gel they would've been a chance to beat anyone.

So as much as it was sad to see Joe and co leave we now have clear air. Truck has an open lane and the young list should be hungry. Draper, Mcgrath, Ridley, Parish, Wright, Caldwell, Francis, Langford, Laverde, Perkins, Redman, Cahill, Cox, Reid is an exciting group of 24 and unders. And how lucky are we to have McGrath as a clear up and coming leader.

AMT, Shiel, Smith, Stringer, Stewart, Merrett and Heppell shouldn't be packed up yet either. A lot rests on the attitude they bring. Hopefully the kids can spark them (like we saw at Port 2 years ago)

11 wins

I don't see us being world beaters nor do I see us making finals, but I expect that under clear guidance from a single senior coach we'll start to see the emergence of a recognisable gameplan. I also hope to see improvement and development from our kids whether it be in the VFL or AFL who will grow in the same system learning the same game plan as the seniors, and the seniors buy into everything Truck is trying to implement.

This will leave us in a good position moving beyond 2021, and if that happens I will consider the season something of a success.

Optimistic:

- That woosha’s gone (12 months too late) & we can finally allow truck to put his stamp on the group. What brand of footy will we stand for is what I’m anxious to see emerge.

- We had a great draft, so looking forward to getting this crop on the right development path. Cox, Reid & Archie look like rippers. Looking fwd to seeing 2MP & Caldwell settle in & have an impact straight up too.

Pessimistic:

- think we’ll struggle to finish out of the bottom 4-6 & I’m ok with that so long as we can top up with another class mid through the draft & perhaps revisit the Dunkley scenario if it presents.

End of the day I just want to get back to the footy & hope we can see some real onfield direction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OPTIMISTIC.... 8, 9 or 10 FINISH. Woosh is gone and his disinterested style which seemed to make the players disinterested also. Truck is on a mission. daniher and Fanta gone but didn't play that much anyway. I just think attitude counts for more than some think. Reckon we can do it. .... Hope anyway.

I’m not worried about wins and losses.

The development of younger players, clarity in a game plan, a better managed injury room wouldn’t go astray either.

Let’s not even talk about back room or board room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would think that those are the 3 major priorities with the new coaching group.

I went to training for the first time in a while a week ago. In my opinion, this session crystallised my concern around the likely scoreboard results in 2021. I will preface this by saying I believe we should rightly have realistic expectations for the year ahead. Apparent rebuild focussed on securing the spine (year 1) and midfielders thereafter (year 2 - draft trading 2021). A new game plan and bottom up rebuild of culture, leadership, game plan and greater focus on accountability and standards. All necessary and will take varying amounts of time to implement.

Ultimately I believe Essendon will finish bottom 6 in 2021. I actually rather not think of that as pessimism rather think of it as realism.

For me, the question of pessimism or optimism comes down to the Clubs capacity to finally get this rebuild right... That requires a whole of club delivery. This means injury management (TBC but still not convinced), player development (positive signs with growth in youth / Leigh Tudor involved), game plan implementation, leadership on field (still questionable), delivery of higher standards across the club and club held to account on these (TBC). And if the Club as expected takes time to embed the game plan and new direction, will the fan base give the new coaching group necessary time to entrench newdirection (big TBC).

I’m not optimistic about getting many wins in 2021. I’m also concerned the fans and media won’t give Truck the time he needs to build and implement his program. And I have no confidence yet in the senior management ability to inspire confidence.

Time will tell. Even if the Club has finally got it right, I just hope the management don’t get spooked by the pressure from supporters and media when the inevitable bumps come along and change course or buckle prematurely. Essendon’s a funny place and this can create unwarranted additional pressures that can compound even the best laid plans if those in charge make poor decisions or buckle under pressure.

This will be the sort of season where it would be great to have the reserves playing before the main game (if we are lucky enough to get to go). Watching all these kids develop and play together will be more than likely the best thing we will get to take away from the upcoming year. I am expecting much of the same with the senior team as previous years.

No doubt if you're expecting results this year then you'll be disappointed with the outcome but after the last three years of either missing finals or being walked out in the first week surely everybody understands that we were never going to win a flag without going through an overhaul.

You need a third option Lore - realist

Seems to be then ever in here lately.

We won’t be as bad as a lot of people think we will be.

That doesn’t mean I think we will be good, it just means that from a competitive standpoint I’m expecting more of the same than some drastic drop off to bottom 2, or even 4. Bottom 6? Sure. With our fixture (probably the most generous in the league for double ups) I wouldn’t be at all surprised if our ladder position ended up flattering us a little bit.

At the end of the day I’m just excited to see the kids play and develop, whatever the results are I’m happy as long as we are showing promise and playing for the coach.

Back