Moved Thread Optus Stadium capacity should be increased to 80,000

Remove this Banner Ad

rolling01

Team Captain
Oct 23, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wow, people have lives - you might be a little more realistic addressing why the Dogs cant fill Mars Stadium @ Ballarat:
https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums_crowds.php?id=348

Another poster playing the man not the ball. What has the bulldogs got to do with this thread? never mentioned or compaired. Fact is the stadium is not full every game (in fact only was for 2 finals) so why would the gov upgrade capacity when there is only a need "if" the eagles/freo make finals which isnt a given.Until the stadium is full for both freo and wc games every week it won't be getting upgraded.

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Another poster playing the man not the ball. What has the bulldogs got to do with this thread? never mentioned or compaired. Fact is the stadium is not full every game (in fact only was for 2 finals) so why would the gov upgrade capacity when there is only a need "if" the eagles/freo make finals which isnt a given.Until the stadium is full for both freo and wc games every week it won't be getting upgraded.

Actually Perth Stadium would have the best percentage attendance.
Questions that people should be asking is why Perth Stadium break even point is 50%.
I imagine the MCG runs around 50% capacity overall.
Why is Docklands getting a facelift with it's poor attendance and break even point ?
There throwing $billions on stadiums in Sydney that will never be filled.
An upgrade at Perth Stadium is part of the design and should be relatively 'cheap'.
Besides, as some other poster pointed out, Perth Stadium is 'multi-purpose'
and thus we're not just doing this for football.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Its the final 100 ranked players that are in question, not the others,

Absolutely the wrong logic. Let's imagine that the AFL expanded to 20 teams and with trades etc there was good distribution of player's talents then the attractiveness of football would rise as there would be higher scoring. The opposite would be true if the AFL reduced the number of teams and concentrated talent.

I attend the WAFL and other football and find it very entertaining. It is largely devoid of the issues affecting the AFL.
The attacking football in the WAFL more than makes up for the lesser standard.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

You are critical of why the Eagles dont actually fill the stadium ever time they play there, & I'm telling you people have lives & in WA that includes the fact is the State is a fair size, sometimes people have other things to do & chose not to jump a jet to come down from up North, or on the farm in the mid west with a crop to go in, or rostered to work, or seeing another family member do something mundane e.g ballet (Davi Schwarz missed the the Melbourne QF to watch his daughters dance concert), or you end up interstate on business - I'm not playing the man, you know very well why people dont go to a footy match even when they have already paid to go, get off your high horse.
I suggested you address the Ballarat situation as you know your club, go to the footy with these people, you clearly have no idea of the Eagles folk, of the ITW members looking to the day they can get an 11 game seated membership.

By the way, I think those who want to increase the size of the Perth stadium are not in the real world, just as increasing AO at this time is premature & why the MCC arent rushing to add an extra 5k seats at the MCG even though the Vic taxpayers have guaranteed the loan to do the work.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Absolutely the wrong logic. Let's imagine that the AFL expanded to 20 teams and with trades etc there was good distribution of player's talents then the attractiveness of football would rise as there would be higher scoring. The opposite would be true if the AFL reduced the number of teams and concentrated talent.

I attend the WAFL and other football and find it very entertaining. It is largely devoid of the issues affecting the AFL.
The attacking football in the WAFL more than makes up for the lesser standard.

I'm not on about footys attractiveness, not at all, & as a lifelong Subi fan I'm happy with the 2nd tier, more so this week.

You can put on an AFL uniform but it doesnt cut it if you arent good enough.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

No stadium is ever full though. There will always be people that can't or won't use their ticket to any given event. A 90% member turn up rate (whilst being insanely high in the AFL) is going to result in a crowd of roughly 55k. Yet despite all tickets beong sold, you're suggesting this is not evidence of excess demand?

You should be looking at tickets sold as your primary indicator of demand.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
There is nothing like a full stadium for atmosphere - remember the first time I went to the G with real crowd, mid 80s, be with me forever. Half full stadium not on my bucket list.

Isn't the MCG running on 50% ?
There's more noise at Perth Stadium than for same crowd at Subiaco because of the design.
Adding more seats in themselves cannot take away atmosphere.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Isn't the MCG running on 50% ?
There's more noise at Perth Stadium than for same crowd at Subiaco because of the design.
Adding more seats in themselves cannot take away atmosphere.

You missed my point, Melbourne is the home of the half full stadium.
Not for this thread anyhow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BartBart

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
When Perth gets a 3rd team to be the city's 2nd most followed team... then 80k will possibly be viable.

Maybe the WACA will also host our 3rd best team (2nd atm) to avoid them playing in a half full stadium.

I know it’s a big difference, but tickets to the Storm Prelim Final last week were $25 to sit 5 rows back from the ground at one end. Admittedly not the best seats but they weren’t bad at all. WC Games are too expensive but there has to be a reason. I guess I’m just used to going to a 100k stadium with plenty of empty seats.
When Perth gets a 3rd team to be the city's 2nd most followed team... then 80k will possibly be viable.

Maybe the WACA will also host our 3rd best team (2nd atm) to avoid them playing in a half full stadium.
WACA will never host footy again

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers

There is no room for half measures. A 3rd WA team must play at the big stadium or else it is not worth it.

Realistically there is no need for the WACA to be maintained in the current format, it should be downsized.

BartBart

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I know it’s a big difference, but tickets to the Storm Prelim Final last week were $25 to sit 5 rows back from the ground at one end. Admittedly not the best seats but they weren’t bad at all. WC Games are too expensive but there has to be a reason. I guess I’m just used to going to a 100k stadium with plenty of empty seats.

WACA will never host footy again

I was just jokingly fishing for a bite or two from Freo fans with the post. Although sl
There is no room for half measures. A 3rd WA team must play at the big stadium or else it is not worth it.

Realistically there is no need for the WACA to be maintained in the current format, it should be downsized.

I was being serious over the 3rd team (eventually) being a possibility.

But I was jokingly trying to bait the purple fans with the banter of them having to play at the WACA due to the 80k being too big. ;)

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Melbourne have more than double the population of Perth.

4.6m compared to 2m.

100,000 seat stadium is 2.1% of Melbourne's population.

60,000 seat Stadium is 3% of Perth population.

Simplistically the stadium fits with our population.

West Coast also want to keep supply low so they can charge the highest membership prices.
Melbourne have more than double the population of Perth.

4.6m compared to 2m.

100,000 seat stadium is 2.1% of Melbourne's population.

60,000 seat Stadium is 3% of Perth population.

Simplistically the stadium fits with our population.

West Coast also want to keep supply low so they can charge the highest membership prices.

Melbourne had a 100,000 cap MCG back in the 1950s when the population was about the same as Perths is now.

Melbourne is now at 5 million now and growing by over 100,000 per year..

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
Thing is at 80k, there would still be no walk-up tickets for Eagles games.
To have walk-up tickets available, we'd need more seats than seated members.

We'd need an MCG sized stadium for there to be walk-up tickets available for a West Coast home game, when you consider we currently have about 50,000 seated members with another 10-15k waiting ITW. You're at 75,000 seated members if you include the ITW waiitng list. Add an extra 10-20k seats for 'GA' and travelling fans and you get the magic 95-100k capacity.

Basically, there won't be any walk up seats at an Eagles home game for a very long time.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Mighty Eagles

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
From the time Barnett announced the stadium would be at Burswood (mid-2011) I thought 60,000 was too small at the time.

We should be building infrastructure for the long-term, and I thought it should be 70,000 from the outset with the potential to be redeveloped to 80,000.

Does anyone know:

a) How many matches were sold out at Optus in 2018 and
b) How many people are on West Coast's waiting list?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back