Moved Thread Optus Stadium capacity should be increased to 80,000

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you live here?
Nope, I’m from Victoria, but I’d guess that the situation is similar to Adelaide Oval having huge crowds at first, and then dwindling after a few years as the stadium wasn’t as new any more.

Eagles have over 10,000 on the waiting list that can't get in! It's ludicrous and good grounds should cater for walk ins.... like the G
Rubbish. That is absurd. It is a multipurpose stadium, not an AFL stadium.

Plenty of arguments for its current size have been stated in this thread. Why not address some of them?

Ill add another...how do you plan to get another 20,000 people to and from the game? There is clearly isn't the infrastructure to do so, and probably won't be until an entertainment precinct is developed nearby.

The notion that you should cater for walk ins for a small amount of the year's events is silly and an absolute waste of money.

This is a taxpayer funded stadium,

Yes, the government of the time ignored advice on cheaper locations and only taxpayers of W.A. are paying for it.

not an AFL stadium.

Hello, Australian Football games are easily the major revenue source.
Other codes are NOT paying contributing revenue to the stadium a.t.m.

West Coast only have a dozen or so across the year.

You have AFL H&A, AFL finals, AFLW and WAFL G.F. not just W.C.E.
The size of the stadium and build cost determine pricing which determines attendance.
It would be nice to hear an estimate for larger capacity up to 70,000 as that is incorporated into the design.

Melbourne have more than double the population of Perth.

4.6m compared to 2m.

100,000 seat stadium is 2.1% of Melbourne's population.

60,000 seat Stadium is 3% of Perth population.

Simplistically the stadium fits with our population.

West Coast also want to keep supply low so they can charge the highest membership prices.

You could add that Melbourne has 9 AFL teams as against Perth's 2 AFL teams.

Thing is, if you make the stadium any bigger, the break-even number per event increases also because of the higher operating and maintenance costs. Make it too big and you risk turning lots of smaller drawing (not AFL Finals) events into making a loss. The whole idea of having the stadium is for maximum public benefit drawing as many events as poissible - I think next big event at the stadium is Taylor Swift.

It would be really interesting to see a breakdown of event coasts.
Most costs should be proportional and the bigger then the more efficient.
I went to to the WAFL G.F. and they simply closed the upper tier - perfect.
Adding the extra seats to the upper level as in the design shouldn't increase running costs.

Unfortunately the overall design of the stadium seems to demand attendants everywhere.
They even had a number of attendants on the walk bridge for some unknown reason.
This is what happens when you build a stadium in the middle of nowhere and not in the CBD.

West Coast membership might be full but there still seems to be a significant amount of empty seats for most games during the home and away part of the season.

Unless it's a big game or a final how often and many of these extra mostly nose bleed seats going to be filled, is it worth it for the extra capital $ outlay and continuing maintenance of these areas?

Break even attendance to turn a profit will be higher, and how does it effect the atmosphere of the place when it will often be half full?

Last edited:
West Coast membership might be full but there still seems to be a significant amount of empty seats for most games during the home and away part of the season.

Unless it's a big game or a final how often and many of these extra mostly nose bleed seats going to be filled, is it worth it for the extra capital $ outlay and continuing maintenance of these areas?

Break even attendance to turn a profit will be higher, and how does it effect the atmosphere of the place when it will often be half full?

The seating allocated to the Eagles is 50k, the capacity is 60k .... the other 10k includes general admittance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought 60k was a bit too dear for a stadium which would host mainly two AFL clubs and a dozen Cricket matches.

Imagine when Freo and WC are the sh*tstain of the league, no way they fit in 60k.

If we're talking about increasing capacity at stadiums I think upgrading suburban and boutique stadiums is the way to go. Return the small games to those stadiums like they used to and save Etihad and MCG for the big games.

& where would the players come from ???
IF you know give Carlton &/or Gold Coast a call cos they cant find them .....

People use logic to come up with the wrong conclusions.
The attractiveness of football is down so the standard must be down.
No, the attractiveness of football is down because the competitiveness is up.
Teams are down because their list is less competitive.
That is, the distribution is imbalanced not that there is any scarcity of good players.

The seating allocated to the Eagles is 50k, the capacity is 60k .... the other 10k includes general admittance.
So there is no reason at all the stadium shouldn't be full every eagles game then. All the ITW members should be buying up the spare 10k each game but they aren't.

The screens at Optus didn’t need to be quite that large, they’re absolutely huge
I suppose I could lose a centremetre each side of the seat to fit in more plebs too

sS
People use logic to come up with the wrong conclusions.
The attractiveness of football is down so the standard must be down.
No, the attractiveness of football is down because the competitiveness is up.
Teams are down because their list is less competitive.
That is, the distribution is imbalanced not that there is any scarcity of good players.

Yep, SOS is asleep, has been for the past couple of years - the distribution of the duds (i.e 2nd tier players) elevated to AFL status via the addition of the AFL orchestrated development clubs has near on completely permeated all clubs playing lists. Its the final 100 ranked players that are in question, not the others, see the churn at seasons end.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back