Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls
Name them then?
I'm assuming you know what "Plethora" means...
Yeh it was a weird comment - the only 'monument' he is usually derided for is the bell tower - which doesnt has issues, but is small and was arguably a waste of money.

Aug 14, 2005
NoR
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
lakers, nufc, subi, colts
Didn't Docklands also have issues with the hardness of the surface when it first launched? How was that fixed?
"fixed" by silencing the media from making it an issue but its still s**t with dirt patches painted green for aesthetic reasons. They have those lights that promote growth on it, similar to what Shane Warne used on his head when he went thin on top.

But I don't think growth is a problem its just its too hard. They tried watering it too soften it but that just made it slippery at night as the soil releases the moisture and players deal with a hard slippery surface as we saw last night

What's your personal gripe with the stadium

Nothing, looks like a fantastic venue, looking forward to getting there. Just questioning where this universal consensus it’s the best came from, I suspect the MCG might be a tad more popular across the country.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Pacman Carney

All Australian
Aug 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
"fixed" by silencing the media from making it an issue but its still **** with dirt patches painted green for aesthetic reasons. They have those lights that promote growth on it, similar to what Shane Warne used on his head when he went thin on top.

But I don't think growth is a problem its just its too hard. They tried watering it too soften it but that just made it slippery at night as the soil releases the moisture and players deal with a hard slippery surface as we saw last night

Every ground has those lights to promote growth.
MCG does as does Optus.

Benji85

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
WA has messed up so many recent developments. The Barnett obsession with building monuments to his greatness has resulted in a plethora of second class facilities that will need to corrected over the next decade due to the already committed funds. This is just another example of this.
The stadium is world class, easily the best in the country and it's amazing to go there. The surface is the issue, the stadium itself is unreal. Everytime I go there I am genuinely stunned at how quality the place in almost every aspect.

On the Surface; You got to remember these stadiums generate actual micro-climates that can really affect the way it reacts to the heat/humidity etc, I don't if it's a time thing or a curator issue though. Both of those would hardly be a state governments fault though...

I also have no idea what monuments you are referring too? The Bell Tower is the last "grandiose" spend by the government back in 2000, and people love it now.

Not sure why Eastern grumps always get salty when WA dares to have a few nice things....

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
East Side Hawks - Sweet F.A. Chess Club Member
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Strange comment - the stadium has won international awards. Universally agreed as the best stadium in Australia, surface issues aside. This development wasnt 'messed up'.
The footbridge fiasco, no direct private transport access, ticket allocation, Western Australian public money used to construct a facility that all few (less than one percent can attend for any single event), the lack of harmonising with the WAFL and other state codes (including WACA) regarding special/blockbuster events, the lack of planning regarding post-Optus use of Subiaco, the fact that the stadium could be anywhere in the world and intrinsically linked as a selling point to Perth/WA.
Apologies for this being an incomplete list as it is just off the top of my head.

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Name them then?
I'm assuming you know what "Plethora" means...
Quick list:
The Victoria Quay bypass redevelopment
The Perth Children’s Hospital (timeline, safety, budget, etc)
The shark drum line development project
The Cottesloe foreshore development
The Scarbourgh foreshore development
The ‘missing’ Ellenbrook train line
Yagan Square / Horseshoe bridge construction issues
The unworkable Perth Arena

Again, just off the top of my head...

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeh it was a weird comment - the only 'monument' he is usually derided for is the bell tower - which doesnt has issues, but is small and was arguably a waste of money.
The Bell Tower was not Barnett - it was under Richard Court.

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The footbridge fiasco, no direct private transport access, ticket allocation, Western Australian public money used to construct a facility that all few (less than one percent can attend for any single event), the lack of harmonising with the WAFL and other state codes (including WACA) regarding special/blockbuster events, the lack of planning regarding post-Optus use of Subiaco, the fact that the stadium could be anywhere in the world and intrinsically linked as a selling point to Perth/WA.
Apologies for this being an incomplete list as it is just off the top of my head.
You know Adelaide Oval, SCG, and MCG all had government money spend on them ? Sport contribute vary little to the cost of building stadia.

Pretty much all your comments have nothing to do with the stadium itself - they are secondary issues (tickets, bridges delays, Subiaco issues, WAFL issues). The new stadium isnt use by the WAFL (just like the VFL dont use the MCG), and the WACA had full access to it in summer for Scorchers and Aussie matches - and WACA memberships get full access to all cricket there.

I still don't get your hate for it. Have you been there ? It's not perfect but it is the best stadium in Australia - and yes I have been to the MCG, SCG, Adelaide Oval and SCG. Ideally it would have been 10k bigger, but that doesnt take away from the quality of the stadium currently.

But none of that excuses the turf issues - that is the issue that needs fixing.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Quick list:
The Victoria Quay bypass redevelopment
The Perth Children’s Hospital (timeline, safety, budget, etc)
The shark drum line development project
The Cottesloe foreshore development
The Scarbourgh foreshore development
The ‘missing’ Ellenbrook train line
Yagan Square / Horseshoe bridge construction issues
The unworkable Perth Arena

Again, just off the top of my head...
I get the gist you'd rather nothing was ever built. NIMBY ?

The only real major stuff on there was PCH - which its hard to say if the government is to blame or the builder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The stadium is world class, easily the best in the country and it's amazing to go there. The surface is the issue, the stadium itself is unreal. Everytime I go there I am genuinely stunned at how quality the place in almost every aspect.
Not sure why Eastern grumps always get salty when WA dares to have a few nice things....
I have listed above, but in specific relation to the stadium:
  • It is not a place that you associate with Perth. It could be anywhere in the world and does not immediately establish itself as a ‘that’s Perth’ response.
  • The high points of the stadium are generally technological based innovations (light show, LED round ground screening, etc). These types of draw cards tend to date easily and constantly need updating to remain ‘cutting edge’, thereby creating a money sink.
  • It is a nice thing. The surface is subpar and it will date quickly.

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Another well loved and award winning piece of infrastructure - which was admittedly way over budget - and commissioned by a Labor government, not Barnett.
The Barnett decision to add an underground car park after the initial geotechnical and foundations were laid resulted in the cost blowout. Because the facade could not be changed, drainage/runoff is insufficient for an underground car park and that is why it floods/leaks and is weakening the structural integrity of the building.

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You know Adelaide Oval, SCG, and MCG all had government money spend on them ? Sport contribute vary little to the cost of building stadia.

But none of that excuses the turf issues - that is the issue that needs fixing.
My expansive comments were direct response for other examples.

You can look at the MCG, SCG, and Adelaide Oval and immediately know where it is. There is no ‘brand recognition’ for OPTUS stadium. One of the drivers of government investment into these types of facilities is to associate the facility with the place. This does not happen with Perth Stadium.

All of these ‘secondary’ issues are issues. All of which land squarely with the government of the day and the stadium management.

I live in WA. Am a WACA member. Am a black ducks member. Have been to many events at all the places I listed and bemoaned the ones missing.

Perth, and WA more broadly, has suffered from a need to make the ‘first’ decision rather than the ‘best’ decision.

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The Barnett decision to add an underground car park after the initial geotechnical and foundations were laid resulted in the cost blowout. Because the facade could not be changed, drainage/runoff is insufficient for an underground car park and that is why it floods/leaks and is weakening the structural integrity of the building.
So bottom line is, this whole thing is either political for you, or you just don't like stuff being built.

The stadium is accepted as very good by everyone but you.

The turf is accepted as having issue by almost everyone.

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I get the gist you'd rather nothing was ever built. NIMBY ?

The only real major stuff on there was PCH - which its hard to say if the government is to blame or the builder.
I would rather the right things were built rather than quick, knee jerk responses.

Everyone messed up the PCH - including Barnett.

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
My expansive comments were direct response for other examples.

You can look at the MCG, SCG, and Adelaide Oval and immediately know where it is. There is no ‘brand recognition’ for OPTUS stadium. One of the drivers of government investment into these types of facilities is to associate the facility with the place. This does not happen with Perth Stadium.
The Barnett government didnt want it to be sponsored.

That was a Labor decision

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So bottom line is, this whole thing is either political for you, or you just don't like stuff being built.

The stadium is accepted as very good by everyone but you.

The turf is accepted as having issue by almost everyone.
https://www.ladbrokes.com.au/?a=574141&c=2/blog/2018/11/26/20-to1-australias-best-stadiums/

These guys don’t think it’s the best?

I don’t like things being built that could have been better with a little thought.

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

It was an effort to recover public funds that were spent in recognition that the stadium itself is not going to benefit the Perth economy or the well being of most Western Australians. This actually supports my point?

Apr 25, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
stirling senators
I have listed above, but in specific relation to the stadium:
  • It is not a place that you associate with Perth. It could be anywhere in the world and does not immediately establish itself as a ‘that’s Perth’ response.
  • The high points of the stadium are generally technological based innovations (light show, LED round ground screening, etc). These types of draw cards tend to date easily and constantly need updating to remain ‘cutting edge’, thereby creating a money sink.
  • It is a nice thing. The surface is subpar and it will date quickly.
Lel thats the lamest most emotive winge ever.If thats all you got then then there is nothing that detracts from Perth Stadium being top class top five in the World.Personally I love the stadium love going there.

On the Surface; You got to remember these stadiums generate actual micro-climates that can really affect the way it reacts to the heat/humidity etc, I don't if it's a time thing or a curator issue though. Both of those would hardly be a state governments fault though...

I also have no idea what monuments you are referring too? The Bell Tower is the last "grandiose" spend by the government back in 2000, and people love it now.

People love the bell tower?

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lel thats the lamest most emotive winge ever.If thats all you got then then there is nothing that detracts from Perth Stadium being top class top five in the World.Personally I love the stadium love going there.
I’m pretty sure my response leant more to being anecdotal rather than emotive? In truth yours was possibly a more emotive response.
I’ve provided a few more position points in the above text, however a top 5 stadium in the world does not have surface issues.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest

I call it Perth Stadium, or simply Burswood. Hate sponsor names, for example where do Geelong play, Godonlyknows Stadium.

As for the stadium, it reminds me of when they were building the Polly Pipe, winge, winge, winge. Within a day of it being opened, the winger’s disappeared. Similar with the stadium, now most are very happy with what they’ve now got.

On the river, short walk from the city, ........ far better athmosphere than Subi.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back