TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

Its amazing how we've gone from wanting to watch sport on a big ass TV, to now watching it on a small screen smart phone. Probably so you can take it to the dunny with you I guess :D

Personally I hate watching sports or anything really on my phone apart from the odd highlights, or 2min YouTube clips free date or not it sucks and drains the battery.

Each to there own I guess, but I agree with Zidane98 I rather a reliable Telecast then having to rely on streaming services with our shitty internet speeds watching on my phone or ipad.

I love how you have a go at me for making an all encompassing statement then in the very next paragraph you go on to say:

The product certainly matches Foxtel or SBS HD

I'm surprised your Arsenal loving mate hasn't pulled you up on use of a certainty.
You're incorrect here. The product is every EPL game is HD, that is what Optus are providing and it matches Foxtel HD. Optus are not responsible for the quality of the internet connection of the users which is the reason you are experiencing a less than HD experience. Foxtel provided the product and the method of delivery, Optus only the product.

Like I said, the delivery (via the internet) and accessibility (only to Optus customers) is what you can have a go at them for, not the product itself.

You're incorrect here. The product is every EPL game is HD, that is what Optus are providing and it matches Foxtel HD. Optus are not responsible for the quality of the internet connection of the users which is the reason you are experiencing a less than HD experience. Foxtel provided the product and the method of delivery, Optus only the product.

Like I said, the delivery (via the internet) and accessibility (only to Optus customers) is what you can have a go at them for, not the product itself.

You're actually incorrect. The only way to get a product that matches Foxtel HD is to buy the Optus Satellite EPL service. Optus itself cannot guarantee the quality of broadcasts via the internet and says so itself.

And to let you know I did attempt to purchase a satellite installation at my house under a friend's name - Optus would not allow an installation at a different address to the account holder. I was happy to pay the installation fee and pay the extra $20 / month.

Its amazing how we've gone from wanting to watch sport on a big ass TV, to now watching it on a small screen smart phone. Probably so you can take it to the dunny with you I guess :D

Personally I hate watching sports or anything really on my phone apart from the odd highlights, or 2min YouTube clips free date or not it sucks and drains the battery.
No one is saying watching it on a phone is a viable alternative to a television, but do you take your TV with you when you leave the house?

You're actually incorrect. The only way to get a product that matches Foxtel HD is to buy the Optus Satellite EPL service. Optus itself cannot guarantee the quality of broadcasts via the internet and says so itself.
Untrue, I have a product that matches Foxtel HD and I don't have a satellite. From what's been posted in this thread and the experience of my friends plenty of others do as well.

No one is saying watching it on a phone is a viable alternative to a television, but do you take your TV with you when you leave the house?

Untrue, I have a product that matches Foxtel HD and I don't have a satellite. From what's been posted in this thread and the experience of my friends plenty of others do as well.

You do. I don't. It's not as good as Foxtel HD. If it was as good as Foxtel HD there would be no need for Optus EPL Satellite at all.

You do. I don't. It's not as good as Foxtel HD. If it was as good as Foxtel HD there would be no need for Optus EPL Satellite at all.
For you it isn't and that's unfortunate, but it is for many people including myself. Some people need satellites to access Foxtel as well, but for the majority the infrastructure you need to access it is already in place in your home. Whether it is reliable enough is another question.

I think you are still misunderstanding the concept of product & delivery. Optus are providing the EPL in HD, which is proved by the fact that many people are able to watch it in HD. Hence the "product" is as good as Foxtel HD. Foxtel had their own method of delivery which (once installed) was a more reliable method than the internet. Optus are not providing the delivery and are leaving that to the user to provide themselves, and some people's method of delivery is unable to provide the product in HD, but that is not because the product isn't good enough.

No I don't but why would I need to? I use my phone for live updates but If im so desprate to watch a match i'll find a pub/bar plenty around or go to a mates place who has a TV
instead of constantly being anti social somewhere watching through my phone.

Haven't I read that, aside from the satellite service, the Optus stream is only broadcasting in 720p?

If that's the case, it is factually incorrect that the picture is as good as Foxtel.

Haven't I read that, aside from the satellite service, the Optus stream is only broadcasting in 720p?

If that's the case, it is factually incorrect that the picture is as good as Foxtel.

Foxsports HD broadcasts at 9mbps bitrate.

Fetch Mini max bit rate is 6mbps. And the difference is the bandwidth is always guarantee to be available on Foxtel whereas it's anyones guess as to what actual bitrate you'll get on Fetch (and it automatically drops resolution to accommodate).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't use Fetch but I find the image quality on my ipad/phone is absolute brilliant.

Hell, I've even been using Chromecast to put it up on our big home theatre and it looks great on there.

Put me down as someone who's happy with the change. When my contract is up with Telstra next May, I'll move to Optus.

I'm not a real tech guy so unsure as to what/how they can improve the quality etc as they can't physically go out and install hardware. I wonder how far the NBN would have come by the time it gets into the 3rd year of the contract, knowing the NBN though I'd doubt they'll have progressed much.

I would assume that by the time mid next year comes they'll have a fairly good idea as to whether it is worth investing significantly into upgrading the systems, I think that they will. They can use that technology through their other channels and look to cover other sports, wouldn't be surprised to see them have a proper crack at the A League (by pairing with a FTA network). If I was Optus I'd be getting cosy with Network 10, taking the Formula 1/Moto GP races they don't show live and adding that to their "sport" portfolio.

Overall I think people will look back at this period fondly, they've come in and genuinely shaken up the market. Foxtel now will have to start increasing their bids for things like the A League and improve their coverage/content which can only be a good thing for the sports themself. Now, whether that then impacts us, the consumers, in terms of cost for the services time will tell.

I think peoples biggest fear is that they'll have to start having multiple "pay tv" accounts in order to watch multiple sports. And really, why should Foxtel be allowed to have a monopoly just because it's the way its always been.

I have to assume you work for Optus. As far as Foxtels EPL coverage, I struggle to see how it could of been improved. It was outstanding

I don't use Fetch but I find the image quality on my ipad/phone is absolute brilliant.

Hell, I've even been using Chromecast to put it up on our big home theatre and it looks great on there.

Put me down as someone who's happy with the change. When my contract is up with Telstra next May, I'll move to Optus.

You've got NBN which is what you need realistically to make it a reliable HD service. Majority of the country doesn't at this stage and won't for at least another 5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back