News Orazio Fantasia departs for Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I really wanted Fantasia to work out and I think chasing him was a pretty good idea but we should've done our homework on him and if we did, we would've burnt a couple of picks on him.

Just a very frustrating time with Fantasia on the list. You've got huge potential with a player we really needed to fire in a position of need but injuries and a lack of real conditioning and what seems to be a poor attitude to physical work and really a lack of overall virility mixed with narcissistic tendencies and not playing through light injuries must have put the coaching staff into fits this year.

By the end of 2023, he was playing decent footy in the Magoos but I think he had gotten the goat of the coaching staff during the year and even though he could've been picked for finals, they went with Jed.

Fantasia seemed more at home with media and podcasting and seems likeable enough but just lost opportunities of kicking some dynamic goals for us and winning games of footy. He's the type of player who would not be playing because he had a migraine and you would be kinda whatever.
The return on investment for Fantasia obviously ended up a long way on the negative side of the register.

Reminds me a tad of a bloke from the riverland, westie's country zone.
He would have been about 6' 3'' or 4'' with a much better physique than Fantasia and was drafted by Essendon from them but was an absolute flop, and apparently missed a heap of games with minor niggles.

When he returned to SA Port paid big bucks for a clearance from westies and I remember a mate who had been on various committees with that club telling me your club has wasted its money on that bloke, he is an `aspro!' which was apparently footy speak at the time for someone who missed more games than they should.

It was one of the Maggie's premiership years in the mid 90's, and fairly early in the season in a game at Adelaide oval against the panthers he was beyond pathetic, resulting in Jack Cahill sending the runner out early in the 3rd term to obviously drag him, and he was run off the ground with said runner yapping in his ear the whole time and straight up the race.

I believe he never represented the club at any level again.

Did he though - I only listened to one or two and it was Tom Rockliff who carried it.

I was only guessing. At least he didn't strain a vocal cord.

So port offered him a deal. He said no. Then moved as a DFA. Is that how it’s supposed to work? Surely Carlton needed to trade for him or take him in the draft?
I'm sure someone will be more on it than me but I think as a DFA he can sign during the DFA period where he likes and we don't get anything back.

The return on investment for Fantasia obviously ended up a long way on the negative side of the register.

Reminds me a tad of a bloke from the riverland, westie's country zone.
He would have been about 6' 3'' or 4'' with a much better physique than Fantasia and was drafted by Essendon from them but was an absolute flop, and apparently missed a heap of games with minor niggles.

When he returned to SA Port paid big bucks for a clearance from westies and I remember a mate who had been on various committees with that club telling me your club has wasted its money on that bloke, he is an `aspro!' which was apparently footy speak at the time for someone who missed more games than they should.

It was one of the Maggie's premiership years in the mid 90's, and fairly early in the season in a game at Adelaide oval against the panthers he was beyond pathetic, resulting in Jack Cahill sending the runner out early in the 3rd term to obviously drag him, and he was run off the ground with said runner yapping in his ear the whole time and straight up the race.

I believe he never represented the club at any level again.
The good ol' days.

If you really crapped the bed, you were never seen again.

So port offered him a deal. He said no. Then moved as a DFA. Is that how it’s supposed to work? Surely Carlton needed to trade for him or take him in the draft?
Similar to Hugh Greenwood and Mitch Hinge a couple of years ago, they got a better deal and moved. It's probably not how it's meant to work but the mechanism is there.

Similar to Hugh Greenwood and Mitch Hinge a couple of years ago, they got a better deal and moved. It's probably not how it's meant to work but the mechanism is there.
Trent McKenzie as well. Gold Coast offered him a one year deal which he rejected to come here as a DFA, with Gold Coast's permission.

Fair enough. Just seemed odd that an uncontracted player could just walk to another club. Port must have delisted or Ok’d it. Otherwise it’s no different to Sav or BZT right?
Yes, we could have vetoed Orazio signing as a DFA if we wanted to, but obviously we were content to let him go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“We’re delighted to announce the signing of Orazio Fantasia as a delisted free agent!”

Why highlight this? Is it just code for, we just got a piece of s**t his last club didn’t want.

Brisbane picking up Jarryd Lyons for free because the Suns ‘couldn’t rely on him to spread from stoppages’ is probably the clubhouse leader in the DFA sphere.

Its undeniable that he was fragile but he definitely should've played our finals over the likes of Cheese and DBJ.
It's hard to be that critical of it tbh he'd strung a few sanfl games together after basically doing nothing for two years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back