Order that you rate the individual player awards

Remove this Banner Ad

GWT6

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2011
Western Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
The Brownlow has always been viewed as the ultimate individual award for the home and away season in Australian Football, although it's always been recognised as a flawed process. If I was a player I would rate the Norm smith as the number one individual award, and I'd take a premiership medal over all of them. But want to keep this specifically to individual home and away season awards.

Over the past couple of decades I think the Brownlow has lost a bit of ground to some of the other individual awards.

In what order do you rate these?

• Brownlow
  • AFLCA player of the year
  • AFLPA MVP
  • Newspaper awards
My ratings

1. AFLCA - Voted each week by the most knowledgable people in the game, with knowledge of what the player's role is and analysing every second of the play. Generally unbiased, and seems to get it pretty right.
  2. Brownlow - Voted on by experts and generally unbiased (although Greg Williams was robbed), but don't always have the best view of whats going on.
  3. Newspaper/Media awards - Voted on by some experts and some halfwits, assume every game is watched, can be biased
  4. AFLPA MVP - Most players say they do not watch much football during the year. May only see the winning player a couple of times a year, probably decided by general media narrative or possibly club scouting reports - which would hold more weight.

The award that is voted on by their peers is the award that I rate the highest.
The Brownlow is a midfielders award unfortunately. Many will argue that the best players are positioned in the midfield and that might be true to a certain extent but there's been some generational talents like Matthews and Carey that haven't won the award so I question its legacy.
Others can inform me if arguably the two greatest players of all time have even come close to winning the Brownlow, I'm not sure?

Coaches is not reliable how often do you see a coach go i will give my bloke 5 votes or i won't vote for player X

I would generally say the one voted on my players but i mean Andrew Brayshaw best player in the comp this year really?

The Brownlow has always been viewed as the ultimate individual award for the home and away season in Australian Football, although it's always been recognised as a flawed process. If I was a player I would rate the Norm smith as the number one individual award, and I'd take a premiership medal over all of them. But want to keep this specifically to individual home and away season awards.

Over the past couple of decades I think the Brownlow has lost a bit of ground to some of the other individual awards.

In what order do you rate these?

• Brownlow
  • AFLCA player of the year
  • AFLPA MVP
  • Newspaper awards
My ratings

1. AFLCA - Voted each week by the most knowledgable people in the game, with knowledge of what the player's role is and analysing every second of the play. Generally unbiased, and seems to get it pretty right.
  2. Brownlow - Voted on by experts and generally unbiased (although Greg Williams was robbed), but don't always have the best view of whats going on.
  3. Newspaper/Media awards - Voted on by some experts and some halfwits, assume every game is watched, can be biased
  4. AFLPA MVP - Most players say they do not watch much football during the year. May only see the winning player a couple of times a year, probably decided by general media narrative or possibly club scouting reports - which would hold more weight.
Agreed. The AFLPA award is less than meaningless.

The award that is voted on by their peers is the award that I rate the highest.
The Brownlow is a midfielders award unfortunately. Many will argue that the best players are positioned in the midfield and that might be true to a certain extent but there's been some generational talents like Matthews and Carey that haven't won the award so I question its legacy.
Others can inform me if arguably the two greatest players of all time have even come close to winning the Brownlow, I'm not sure?
The AFLPA is equally a midfielders award. Nick Reiwoldt is the only player to win who didn't play midfield.

The AFLCA and Brownlow are usually pretty similar overall. Certain coaches have their own biases, and the voting is opening to tampering for your own player. We crucify umpires for getting it wrong when they do, but how often do both coaches agree on the top 5?

Last edited:
I like the Brownlow but do acknowledge that being an umpire voted award, straight after the game, it can miss things and be midfield biased. But I reckon its the best guide.

Coaches voting can be weird too. esp on their own players
And the players and media awards always seem skewed to flavours of the month.

Id love an opposition analyst voted award. Get the person/people who do this every week to vote 3-2-1 for the players they are watching.
Issue the awards based on that

AA team based on position, league MVP as the most votes. And probably leave the Brownlow as the ump BnF award.

1. AFLCA - but they should be given 2 days after the game not just one - so that they have completed all their reviews of the game
2. Brownlow - but I'd be open to it being a 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 to give forwards and defenders a chance - though I suspect they would just go for the 5 best midfielders
Media awards depending on who is voting - because there are so many clueless flogs
Fan awards - but these tend to favour the bigger teams unless a smaller team player had a brilliant year
AFLPA MVP - half the players dont even watch the football so it literally means nothing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They all have pros and cons and it’s great we have awards from different perspectives.
If you win 2+ in one year you’ve been the best player if they’re shared it means there is no stand out just means it’s a close field that’s very subjective.

Coaches is not reliable how often do you see a coach go i will give my bloke 5 votes or i won't vote for player X

I would generally say the one voted on my players but i mean Andrew Brayshaw best player in the comp this year really?

He wasn't voted the best player, he was voted the Most Valuable Player, there is a difference. He has won some media/newspaper awards and was in the top 5 for most of the awards so it has not come from nowhere. If you're looking at stats or highlights then he probably isn't catching your eye but there isn't a midfielder who works harder both ways, 11 goals from the midfield is handy too but it is the tackling, the pressure that would have won the admiration of players around the league.

Personally the coaches award for me is the most prestigious, then club B&F then throw a blanket over the rest, the Brownlow I feel like umpires get it wrong game by game too often - but there is always (nearly) a worthy winner.

I am not sure I have seen too many examples of coaches doctoring the votes to favour their players. I know the year Haneberry won it there was some whispers around that.

Was it a surprise result? Yes somewhat, but it is what it is, probably hasn't hurt him that he is a popular person with a brother and friends at other clubs, I know when Fyfe won the award he said something along the lines of him voting for Rory Sloane because they were surfing buddies. The last few years it seems the players have just gone with the clear standout player in the league but there has not been one of those this season. 5-6 guys could've won it.

Where does "most valuable player" include "best"?

Classic instance of a two-way running midfielder, elite offensively and defensively, not getting enough respect from punters for the unsexy stuff.

Exactly what Hardwick did to Stewart after the Prestia Incident

Stewart clearly best man on the ground by the length of the Flemington Straight and he gave Zero votes

It's interesting, Aside from the Premiership, there's probably no perfect award which isn't impacted by bias etc - especially individual ones. I'm not sure the argument that the players don't watch all games completely discredits the AFLPA MVP though. The players are the only ones that actually get to play against the other teams/players, so their firsthand experience against opposition should count for a bit regardless of whether they're a footyhead or not. Then again, not every player actually gets to play, not every team plays an equal number of times. They're all an inexact science.

Of course, I would probably take that opinion on the Leigh Matthews Trophy right now. A player from my team just won the thing ¯\(ツ)

1. Brownlow
2. NS
3. Gary Ayers
4. MVP
5. Coaches
6. Coleman
7. AA
8. B&F

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back