Order that you rate the individual player awards

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFLPA is equally a midfielders award. Nick Reiwoldt is the only player to win who didn't play midfield.

That's a funny thing to say. Hasn't the MVP been won by KPP's more than any other award? I though Carey won it twice, Gary Ablett Snr, Jason Dunstall, Corey McKernan, Jim Stynes, Luke Darcy, etc.

You know, the actual best players the game has seen rather than random mids like Cooney, Woewodin, etc.

Not this year, it’s all about the ‘Purple Army’ and #flagmantle

They are even dropping nicknames for off-brand ‘Royal Crown Cola’ types like Rory Lobb and Will Brodie. 😉

The Eagles stories are mostly about injuries, how old the playing list is, how much they get paid and what Paul Haselby thinks will fix everything.
Paul Haselby has lost his mind. Just some of the stuff he's been peddling:

Grundy to West Coast
Trade Nic Nat
Trade Sean Darcy
Meek to West Coast
Lobb to North
Rioli to Richmond
Gunston to Freo
Play Cox as a forward (after he was in the AA squad as a defender)
"Taberner needs to lift" (despite him being injured)
“Michael Walters, he’s now playing for his career every single week”

and my personal favourite:
“Does he (JL) keep going with what’s worked for them or does he take the risk of bringing Fyfe back into that team?”

Pretty sure Fyfe will be in the team.

My ratings

1. AFLCA - Voted each week by the most knowledgable people in the game, with knowledge of what the player's role is and analysing every second of the play. Generally unbiased, and seems to get it pretty right.
  2. Brownlow - Voted on by experts and generally unbiased (although Greg Williams was robbed), but don't always have the best view of whats going on.
  3. Newspaper/Media awards - Voted on by some experts and some halfwits, assume every game is watched, can be biased
  4. AFLPA MVP - Most players say they do not watch much football during the year. May only see the winning player a couple of times a year, probably decided by general media narrative or possibly club scouting reports - which would hold more weight.
I wouldn't class umpires as experts in player appraisal.... some of them aren't even expert umpires.

I wouldn't class umpires as experts in player appraisal.... some of them aren't even expert umpires.
I know it's easy to umpire bash - but I guarantee those people know more about the game of AFL than you and me. It's a hard game to umpire, and a reckon some of them are bad at their jobs, but to say they are not experts on football is just wrong.

I know it's easy to umpire bash - but I guarantee those people know more about the game of AFL than you and me. It's a hard game to umpire, and a reckon some of them are bad at their jobs, but to say they are not experts on football is just wrong.
I agree they would know more than me... not that hard BTW, umpires have got enough to worry about than to have to take note of who is playing well and who is not.

That's a funny thing to say. Hasn't the MVP been won by KPP's more than any other award? I though Carey won it twice, Gary Ablett Snr, Jason Dunstall, Corey McKernan, Jim Stynes, Luke Darcy, etc.

You know, the actual best players the game has seen rather than random mids like Cooney, Woewodin, etc.
Anyone that watched Melbourne in 2000 would know Woowodin was a good chance to win the Brownlow that year. (remembering that you only need to be in the best in your game to get votes). The talk should be about how the All Australian selectors got it so wrong rather than the umpires.

Anyone that watched Melbourne in 2000 would know Woowodin was a good chance to win the Brownlow that year. (remembering that you only need to be in the best in your game to get votes). The talk should be about how the All Australian selectors got it so wrong rather than the umpires.
Yep. You don't have to be an elite or eye catching mid to win the Brownlow, just consistently good over the season.

Which is why Andrew Brayshaw is a good chance to win it this year.

Yep. You don't have to be an elite or eye catching mid to win the Brownlow, just consistently good over the season.

Which is why Andrew Brayshaw is a good chance to win it this year.
Yep - Runs hard so the umpires see him at both ends, doesn't talk back, stood out in his side. Just missing the died blonde hair to make sure they noticed him. Third favourite at $6 is a pretty good bet (1 got Woewodin at I think $34 after a few rounds)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back