Chemistry Organic chemistry questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Are there any organic chem folks out there that can answer a ring structure question for me?

I am finalising a paper on the grignard synthesis of triphenylmethanol and would like some tips on proper carbon numbering of the compound:

serveimage

I am trying to identify the proper nomenclature for the carbon molecule intersecting the OH group and benzene rings.

Would this be identified as a tertiary alcohol carbon or a phenyl carbon?

Too late for your paper but I would number the methanol component as 1 and the 3 phenyls all as 1', 2',...6' if I was assigning NMR data. Otherwise triphenylmethanol is fine as it cannot be anything else other the structure shown.

People will have to alert me if they would like answers as I don't read this forum much.

• Banned
Too late for your paper but I would number the methanol component as 1 and the 3 phenyls all as 1', 2',...6' if I was assigning NMR data. Otherwise triphenylmethanol is fine as it cannot be anything else other the structure shown.

People will have to alert me if they would like answers as I don't read this forum much.

A learned person referred to it as a Quaternary carbon, but still had his doubts.

A learned person referred to it as a Quaternary carbon, but still had his doubts.

Sorry just re-read your first post again and I would describes as a tertiary alcohol.

BTW It is true that the carbon is quarternary, which is a carbon that has no H bonded to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back