StatsFanatic

All Australian
May 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Nth Melb, Hawthorn (The1925Newbies)
Just wondering if the original Brisbane Bears Guernsey's are the most rare and expensive out there? Take a look at these!!

First one a Warwick Capper Signed Guernsey and shorts...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170444441228&_trkparms=tab=Watching

$6000 :eek: geez... any wonder there has been no bids (and where is this said signature I can't see it??)

and a stock standard original..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200434677609&_trkparms=tab=Watching

Has the value gone up on these once frowned upon jumpers?
wow bid started at $19.99, and ended at $485! The seller would of been happy with that!

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
The $6000 one is not a Bears original.
It just happens to be signed by Capper, it's not actually a Bears jumper from the 80s.
Bears jumpers had a line under the number extending to the side of the jumper.
Brisbane-1.gif

In my opinion, this is a jumper someone has got made recently for the purposes of getting Capper to sign it and cash in by flogging it on ebay.

PS The signature is above the 3.

LeeARM

Premiership Player
May 11, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Fake guernsey? $6000? Sweet deal?
I don't think so.
And if I really wanted Warwick Capper's autograph I don't think it would be that hard.

aidancdaman

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2009
Auckland
AFL Club
Essendon
I wouldn't pay $6000 for a guernsey unless it was from yonks ago, and match worn. Like Grant Elliott's New Zealand cricket training shirt, except that was free :).

Southside

Team Captain
Dec 26, 2009
Never there
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burnley

Here's a replica I bought in 1989. Maybe authentic the jumpers weren't sold in the Bears club store at that time.
I think I could be persuaded to flog it for six grand. :)

shanenine

Debutant
Oct 9, 2007
Eastside
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Team Australia

Here's a replica I bought in 1989. Maybe authentic the jumpers weren't sold in the Bears club store at that time.
I think I could be persuaded to flog it for six grand. :)

Top Jumper mate, would be worth heaps!! First one I have seen with the Mitre 10 sponsorship!!!

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Mitre 10 were official sponsors for one year, 1989.
Basically this was through Paul Cronin's involvement with both.
At the end of the year then owner Christopher Skase took off for Spain and Mitre 10 re-thought their involvement. Cronin was also gone by the 1990 season.

Things to check to see if it's real or replica.
Manufacturer. Should be Sekem.
Number on the back, and the numbes should be material, not padded.
Line on the back of the jumper under the number.

If it is missing any of these, it's a replica.

Southside

Team Captain
Dec 26, 2009
Never there
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burnley
Mitre 10 were official sponsors for one year, 1989.
Basically this was through Paul Cronin's involvement with both.
At the end of the year then owner Christopher Skase took off for Spain and Mitre 10 re-thought their involvement. Cronin was also gone by the 1990 season.

Out of interest, who were the previous sponsors?

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Out of interest, who were the previous sponsors?

1987 & 1988 they had no sponsors.

Pelermans were sponsors in 1990, though I don't remember them wearing sponsor logos on the jumpers.

Eventually the AFL convinced Coke and CUB to take over sponsoring them.

OldLion

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2000
Melbourne - 3078 Lions
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Not the one they wore anyway. Coke was always their below the numbers sponsop, CUB was always on the fron. I would say it must be a kids size jumper.

In the description it says it's a mens medium, so maybe they only put the coke logo on because they could not put a beer company's logo on their merchandise. Still...nice jumper:rolleyes:

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not the one they wore anyway. Coke was always their below the numbers sponsop, CUB was always on the fron. I would say it must be a kids size jumper.
Bears sponsors
Year, then jumper sponsor.
No Coke logo on the front.
1987 -
1988 -
1989 Mitre 10
1990 -
1991 Fosters
1992 CUB Carlton
1993 CUB
1994 CUB
1995 CUB
1996 CUB

Firewalker

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Apr 20, 2009
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Like OldLion said even back then Alcohol sponsor logos were not allowed on 'supporter Guernsey’s' I say supporter Guernsey’s because that's what it is, it's the Official AFL produced Brisbane Bears Guernsey and like it says made by Sekem, the equivalent of what you'd find in K-Mart stores today, except back then the AFL and Sekem (and Puma in the mid 90s) had the rights to put clubs sponsor logos (as long as they weren't alcohol companies) on the Guernsey's to make them look more official. These rights were revoked from the AFL and Sekem around 2000/2001 (now Sekem use the club logo) and now only the official club apparel manufacturer can use the clubs sponsor logos.

The official Brisbane Bears guernsey of 1994 made by their official apparel manufacturer (I think it was Puma) might of contained the CUB logo on the front of the Guernsey but I'm unsure because I've never seen one for sale.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Right on about the Sekem and sponsor stuff :thumbsu:

I have a 2000 Collingwood guernsey (Sekem) which has the AFL logo which was brand new and the Fly Emirates logo also (both sewn on).
There was never a back sponsor either IIRC.

viclion17

Debutant
Jun 8, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The official Brisbane Bears guernsey of 1994 made by their official apparel manufacturer (I think it was Puma) might of contained the CUB logo on the front of the Guernsey but I'm unsure because I've never seen one for sale.

Well, actually I have one from about 1994 (i think) that still has the manufacturers tags on it. Sekem was the manufacturer by the way. Anyway this one has the CUB logo on it.

IMG_06222.jpg

Back