Omega Blue

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
I'd throw Pacers and bucks in that group of 6. But the other 9teams are rubbish compared to the 13 deep western conference.

I absolutely second the motion to sell high on vuc. Gotta do it before all-star break.
The best possible trade would be one similar to what the nets and Lakers did two years ago when the nets traded Lopez for mozgov (bad contract) and russell ( great piece)

flaps

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2009
Ballarat via Melbourne via Hobart via Albury
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Albury Bandits, Orlando Magic
If we trade Vuc (and that's a big IF because we've never had a suiter for him), then we can kiss goodbye to playoffs.
It might be shooting us in the foot, but I'd much rather we just made first-round playoffs for one year and learn from it. We've been out of it for too long.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If we trade Vuc (and that's a big IF because we've never had a suiter for him), then we can kiss goodbye to playoffs.
It might be shooting us in the foot, but I'd much rather we just made first-round playoffs for one year and learn from it. We've been out of it for too long.

So you’d rather get blown in the 1st round and keep Vuc and then lose him and Ross in FA for nada? How does that help us at all? Not being rude man, but that makes absolutely no sense at all.

There are suitors out there for Vuc, the C’s and Spurs for one, we could command and a 1st round pick and talented young guy. The C’s would be the best to deal with, we get Rozier and one of their 3 1st round picks they hold from the Kings/Lakers and Cavs (I think).

Getting Rozier and another 1st round, pairing him with Bamba/Isaac/AG is more beneficial for us than MAYBE going to the 1st round and losing Vuc for nada.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Apparently there is talk around the league of Dallas exploring Dennis Smith Jr trades given Doncic looks to be their primary ball handler of the future.
Heard on the game theory podcast with Sam Vecenie and Cole Wicker - two very well respected basketball media / blogger / analytics guys an interesting trade idea

Aaron Gordon for Dennis Smith Jr

Would need to add salary
Dennis Smith and Wes Matthews (expiring salary) in exchange for Aaron Gordon works on the trade machine. Might need to be some picks involved.

Maybe it depends on the development of Isaac in particular this year. If he comes on and you can play a Vuc / Isaac / Bamba 3 man big rotation with Dennis as the primary ball handler it could look alright.
Smith has been shooting much much better this year. 37% from 3.

What are your thoughts?

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Apparently there is talk around the league of Dallas exploring Dennis Smith Jr trades given Doncic looks to be their primary ball handler of the future.
Heard on the game theory podcast with Sam Vecenie and Cole Wicker - two very well respected basketball media / blogger / analytics guys an interesting trade idea

Aaron Gordon for Dennis Smith Jr

Would need to add salary
Dennis Smith and Wes Matthews (expiring salary) in exchange for Aaron Gordon works on the trade machine. Might need to be some picks involved.

Maybe it depends on the development of Isaac in particular this year. If he comes on and you can play a Vuc / Isaac / Bamba 3 man big rotation with Dennis as the primary ball handler it could look alright.
Smith has been shooting much much better this year. 37% from 3.

What are your thoughts?

AG is a much better player, more versatile, probably at an all NBA defensive level atm.. Smith Jnr has a lot of flaws, not a great facilitator, doesn’t create a lot of opportunities for team mates, he has very questionable shot selection hence his 40% FG mark, decent defender but hardly on AG’s level.

AG struggles for easy offence but he has a better offensive game than Smith jr, much better defender and can guard every position on the court. Dallas would need to give up much more than Smith and Matthews considering Matthews is essentially a hire car and salary dump.

In saying all that Smith has big upside, if he can keep improving his 3 ball and make better decisions with his shot and bring his team mates into the game by kicking balls out when he drives instead of trying to do the amazing, he could be a high a level guy. I’d be more likely to keep AG in this trade, however throw in Barnes with Smith I’d do it ;)

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
AG is a much better player, more versatile, probably at an all NBA defensive level atm.. Smith Jnr has a lot of flaws, not a great facilitator, doesn’t create a lot of opportunities for team mates, he has very questionable shot selection hence his 40% FG mark, decent defender but hardly on AG’s level.

AG struggles for easy offence but he has a better offensive game than Smith jr, much better defender and can guard every position on the court. Dallas would need to give up much more than Smith and Matthews considering Matthews is essentially a hire car and salary dump.

In saying all that Smith has big upside, if he can keep improving his 3 ball and make better decisions with his shot and bring his team mates into the game by kicking balls out when he drives instead of trying to do the amazing, he could be a high a level guy. I’d be more likely to keep AG in this trade, however throw in Barnes with Smith I’d do it ;)

That was my feeling.
I haven't watched a lot of his games this year but from what I hear from these guys and others in the know re: Smith

- Always been a reasonable catch and shoot guy but not been as effective off the dribble. This year is taking far fewer off the dribble 3's hence his improvement from 31% to 37% from 3 and overall FG% from 39.5% to 44.5% this year.
- Apparently has been terrible in transition which is very surprising given his nuclear athleticism and perhaps points to decision making issues. You would imagine this improves.

A.G seems to be improving as a shooter and a passer. Wish he would get to the line more - should be aiming for 4 FTA in every single game and get more involved sometimes. Last year he scored <10 only twice in 60 games, so far this year <10 points in 7 of 34 games - more than 20%- in most of those games he has played at least 24 minutes and shot about 6 times.

Omega Blue

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
As far as trades go, everyone bar Bamba and Isaac are on the table.
However Gordon is our freshly signed shiny silver dollar and if we move him it must be at a premium.

Our best trade assets are
Simmons (basically an exciting contract with only 1 mill garenteed next year)
Ross (expiring contract and candidate for 6th man of the year)
Vucevic (boarder line all-star with expiring contact)
These are fantastic assets that will harvest draft picks and potential star players to the right clubs.

Fournier is another potential trade asset, still young on a bad contract (16 mil when playing like a 11mil player) who could flourish in a different environment.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Some podcast had the idea of AG for CJ McCollum.

At first that sounds ok but the more you think about it, the more you realise how bad the deal would be for us.

Why is that a bad deal? Defensively it’s a massive downgrade as CJ is a liability in ISO’s and switches but offensively we get one of the most gifted guys in the league and a proven closer. CJ is the better player.

I think JI is a natural stretch 4, he played and got drafted from playing that position at Florida and long term that’s where I see him playing. Anyone notice that JI normally guards the 4s now? AG normally goes to the 3s or when there’s a favourable match ala Griffin he’ll go to the 4, but generally it’s JI.

The whole trading AG topic is very interesting, so much of me says no way but then when you look at our squad and what each guy brings to the table it almost makes sense.

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Why is that a bad deal?

Mainly it's the money. CJ's contact goes up and Gordon's goes down.

This year, CJ makes about 4 million more. Then it's 8.5 more and 11 million more in 2020/21.

It's also a matter of age - Gordon is 4 years younger and might still have some improvement in him. CJ is in the middle of his prime but we're not ready to win anything.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mainly it's the money. CJ's contact goes up and Gordon's goes down.

This year, CJ makes about 4 million more. Then it's 8.5 more and 11 million more in 2020/21.

It's also a matter of age - Gordon is 4 years younger and might still have some improvement in him. CJ is in the middle of his prime but we're not ready to win anything.

Keep in mind that the cap increases every year, but of course AG with his front ended contract is more team friendly. I’m not sure we’re ever going to be ready to win, but adding a guy like CJ brings us closer to competing, at the expense of AG? Hmmm I’m not sure, all I know is we have an unbalanced squad that needs smoothing over, we need to shed some front court talent so we can improve our 1 and 2 positions.

Omega Blue

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
Any thought of Terry rozier should be thrown out the window after today's performance. And we should offer 4 years 18mill for Russell.

Any thought of Terry rozier should be thrown out the window after today's performance. And we should offer 4 years 18mill for Russell.
Yeah Rozier is pretty bad when he isn't being loosely guarded by a scrub.

Dennis Smith jnr on the trade table.
What would he cost?
Too much. If we could somehow get him for JSims and our 2019 first then I'd jump at the chance even though I'm a bit sus on DSJ's ceiling.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Too much. If we could somehow get him for JSims and our 2019 first then I'd jump at the chance even though I'm a bit sus on DSJ's ceiling.

I have read multiple sites that we are deep in discussions with the Mavs and they are willing to move him for peanuts, I am thinking J-Sims goes the other way and we send over a protected 1st round pick. But there is also word they want to Matthews, if thats the case it's likely T-Ross is involved in the deal, either way we would be getting Smith Jnr for unders.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Smith jnr called in sick for training this morning with Mavs, he is gone 100%... We better be in front for this trade.

Big salary but he is still a decent wing, if it got us Smith Jnr and we had to take on his salary for a season then it's a no brainer for me.
I don't mind Wes Matthews, I'm with you - if we can get DSJ then bring him in. I could see something like TRoss (expiring) + JSims (1 year, $1mil guaranteed) for DSJ and Matthews straight up, no picks involved. Dallas clears salary, we upgrade current playing stocks. Win win.

DSJ (DJ)
Matthews (Fournier)
JI (Iwundu)
AG (Martin)
Vuc (Bamba)

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd rather vuc involved over Ross, but I understand that Ross is a more attractive piece

See this is the conundrum now, Vuc is playing at such a high level and his defensive rating has improved out of sight that Hammond may wish to sign Vuc to a max type of deal and try and build around his new found elite level, the other side is that this season from Vuc is a bit out of the box considering it's a contract year and he wants to be paid. Next season do we get the 16-9 Vuc who doesn't protect the rim and trips over his own feet in the pick and roles?

I think I am with you, I would like to move Vuc and Jsims and then take on DSJ and Matthews, but without doubt Dallas will ask for TRoss who is a better roster fit and can help them now rather than Vuc who would struggle to find chemistry matched with Jordan.

Bamba is literally 20-30 pounds away from being a better shooting Gobert, we can't forget that.

Back