Mitchemx

Club Legend
Feb 9, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
There are scenarios where we keep both Vooch and Ross.

I would like to think they have a handshake agreement in place with Ross that he'll resign, because if he leaves that's a pretty horrible asset management. We would have essentially given up a top 20 protected first rounder for half a season of Terrence Ross.

Omega Blue

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
I just don't see vuc as part of our future, eventually we'll want Bamba to play 30mins, now granted he's not ready yet, but I wouldn't want to give vucevic a 4-5 year deal knowing that for 3 of those years he's coming off the bench.

Mitchemx

Club Legend
Feb 9, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
I just don't see vuc as part of our future, eventually we'll want Bamba to play 30mins, now granted he's not ready yet, but I wouldn't want to give vucevic a 4-5 year deal knowing that for 3 of those years he's coming off the bench.

Yeah I'm ready to move on the the Vuc era but I'm not sure the front office is going to let our all star walk. There will be other suitors for him so no guarantee he will sign with us anyway but I think it's pretty likely. Hopefully no more than 3 years. Bamba isn't ready to start anytime soon.

I would also be perfectly fine with him walking this summer and we can move into a more up tempo game style.

I could see them doing 3yr/60m or something. That gives time for Bamba to put on some size and if Bamba progresses quicker than projected then Vuc will still be valuable to trade on account of a short contract.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Have to remember that Bamba is no lock to be a success, granted he has some very very nice and tangible tools but he may just be that type of kid that doesn't put on weight and that is going to be a big issue, he also has a terribly hard time catching quick passes, god knows how many easy baskets he has missed because of fumbly fingers.

I do agree though, it's time for Vooch to move on, I have no idea why we wouldn't have traded him before the deadline considering he will have an array of offers on the table during free agency and he really suits what the Mavs are doing. If either he or Ross move on then it's going to go down as another complete stuff up from our front office, it never ends lol.

Have to remember that Bamba is no lock to be a success, granted he has some very very nice and tangible tools but he may just be that type of kid that doesn't put on weight and that is going to be a big issue, he also has a terribly hard time catching quick passes, god knows how many easy baskets he has missed because of fumbly fingers.

I do agree though, it's time for Vooch to move on, I have no idea why we wouldn't have traded him before the deadline considering he will have an array of offers on the table during free agency and he really suits what the Mavs are doing. If either he or Ross move on then it's going to go down as another complete stuff up from our front office, it never ends lol.
Do you really think so though? Ross would have got us a 2nd rounder at best and Vooch has stated multiple times he wants to re-sign with Orlando and is happy to do so at a discounted rate. Bamba isn't ready, won't play again this season. We need Vooch for at least one or two more years.

Omega Blue

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
With the addition of fultz and the cap increasing to 107 mil, we'd have to turn over the bench (no big deal) and sign Ross to a similar deal in order to give vuc a discount on what he's worth.
With plenty of teams with call space this season our chances of keeping him are very low.
Out of the two I'd rather keep Ross

Mitchemx

Club Legend
Feb 9, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
Playoff odds up to 36% at fivethirtyeight.

I really want to make a playoff run, but I also really want to our ticket in the zion/barrett lotto so these wins are very conflicting.

At least we are fun to watch and JI is showing huge improvement on offense.

Omega Blue

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
I'm happy with the wins. I don't think we'll make playoffs, and I think we should draft a Fournier replacement. So I don't think Zion or RJ or Morant or even Bol Bol help us out.
Cam Reddish would be exceptional and I really like the defence and playmaking of tre Jones

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm happy with the wins. I don't think we'll make playoffs, and I think we should draft a Fournier replacement. So I don't think Zion or RJ or Morant or even Bol Bol help us out.
Cam Reddish would be exceptional and I really like the defence and playmaking of tre Jones

Reddish could very well fall to the pick 8-12 zone, if that happens we need to take him.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Playoff odds up to 36% at fivethirtyeight.

I really want to make a playoff run, but I also really want to our ticket in the zion/barrett lotto so these wins are very conflicting.

At least we are fun to watch and JI is showing huge improvement on offense.

We've missed the Zion/RJ boat, time to focus on winning although it's pretty much meaningless.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wow JI is emerging as a fantastic defender

JI is showing how much potential he has, it's really becoming the story of the season outside of Vucs all-star form. If JI continues the improvement like he should then there's no real reason to hold him back from playing that stretch 4 position, he is already making quick gains on AG and I can see him rapidly going past him as a player.

Interesting side note, the top 20 protected pick we traded to the 76ers for Fultz was actually traded to us in 2017, by the 76ers for the draft rights to Anzejs Pasencniks. Anzejs was drafted by us in 2017 with the draft pick we got from Toronto (#25) along with TRoss for the Ibaka trade, Ibaka being what we got for Oladipo.

We effectively traded Oladipo for Fultz. Sabonis (#11 2016) and Ross (#8 2012) kinda cancel each other out.

flaps

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2009
Ballarat via Melbourne via Hobart via Albury
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Albury Bandits, Orlando Magic
Interesting side note, the top 20 protected pick we traded to the 76ers for Fultz was actually traded to us in 2017, by the 76ers for the draft rights to Anzejs Pasencniks. Anzejs was drafted by us in 2017 with the draft pick we got from Toronto (#25) along with TRoss for the Ibaka trade, Ibaka being what we got for Oladipo.

We effectively traded Oladipo for Fultz. Sabonis (#11 2016) and Ross (#8 2012) kinda cancel each other out.
The hindsight is nice. I'd still take Dipo over that though.

If Vuc goes he all of a sudden becomes an integral part of the rotation...
Nah I think we'd sooner sign someone else than play Mozgov.

I'm loving the demolition job were doing on NOLA right now. JI with 16 points in the first quarter alone!

It's as if someone lit a fuse under our guys with all the talk about trading in a guy like Fultz to help the franchise when in reality he's done nothing. Maybe everyone is realising they can't stay on the gravy train forever?

Back