Orlando Magic Supporter Clan - Dunk contest winners not welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the same thing that made Afflalo look good in Orlando is what's making Fournier look good now - namely a green light to shoot and create.

Neither guy should be the first option but, while in Orlando, they are/were. Move them down to 2nd or 3rd option and life becomes harder. Afflalo has seen that and Fournier will too one day.

Fournier is a talented player though. Denver fans raved about him before the trade.

As for the pieces not fitting together - I agree.

I think we just wait to see who develops what but it's really difficult to answer because every development or non-development has a knock on effect.

For example, if Oladipo starts shooting really well and Hezonja develops nicely, perhaps you can get away with Payton not being the greatest shooter. If not, you probably have to move someone to add more shooting.

Likewise if Gordon develops into a good interior defender, maybe he can be paired nicely with Vuc.

Alternatively maybe you keep adding talent and try to turn it into a disgruntled superstar in a trade, as unlikely as that is for Orlando.

Mainly though, you just have to wait to see what you really have with a lot of really young players.

MindlessChubbyFlatcoatretriever.gif

The game winner. Shamelessly stolen from RealGM.

How about that Fournier though. When you traded aflallo for him I was like who?

Now I'm lol Denver. Best thing about your season I think has been his emergence.. In line for most improved in the nba or did I just not pay any attention to Denver last season.. Because it's Denver.

I think the same thing that made Afflalo look good in Orlando is what's making Fournier look good now - namely a green light to shoot and create.

Neither guy should be the first option but, while in Orlando, they are/were. Move them down to 2nd or 3rd option and life becomes harder. Afflalo has seen that and Fournier will too one day.

Fournier is a talented player though. Denver fans raved about him before the trade.

Back before the 2012 draft there was a lot of umming and ahhhing on Pels boards about what we should do with the 10th pick. One of the vids that got passed around was Fournier's Euro highlights, and even though it would've been a reach at #10 I was intrigued. Of course we took Rivers :drunk:

In 2012/13 Denver were smoking everyone if you remember, and Fournier barely got off the bench for most of the season. Late in the season though he had a bunch of games where he scored 15 or 20 points and looked really promising.

I was fully on-board from then on, and it was unfortunate for the Nuggets that Brian Shaw happened. Good for the Magics though!

Were there any figures mooted pre-season on an extension for him? Jeremy Lamb got 3/22 and that's looking like a snip now, while Terrence Ross got 3/33 which IMO the Raptors will end up regretting. If you'd inked him to a deal in the 7-8 million range you'd be laughing now, coz that price is rising daily.

I'm not a Magic fan, but I'm kind of surprised/disappointed at the lack of growth and development this year from nearly everyone on this roster. Really seems like Aaron Gordon and maybe Evan Fournier (defensively) are the only ones that are better than they were last year. Any ideas as to why this is?

Dipo and payton don't fit at this stage, neither can shoot.

Do you pay to keep evan or not? I have no idea

I'm high on Gordon but he needs minutes to develop, he could also use a jumper.

Vuc I'm not that keen on, but he's not worth much on the trade market tbh.

I really rate what the Magic have done at the end of the trade period. Not that I think Jennings and Ilyasova are the future but more so that Tobias Harris wasn't the guy to build a team around. Getting rid of Frye now was a smart move too considering his output has been mediocre. Orlando will have around $45m this off season and I think management has moved away from trying to grow their own stars to trying to import a real star.

I'd like to see them keep Fournier but I totally believe he would be much better as a 6th man and anchor for a second unit instead of the #2 option on offense. At the moment I feel like we're trying to get too much scoring out of Oladipo and Payton but neither of these guys are good shooters or scorers. Oladipo would be most effective in an Avery Bradley type role where hes starting because of his defensive skills.

I think best case scenario we see Gordon, Vuc, Oladipo, Fournier, Payton, Hezonja and Dedmon return next season, and possibly Ilyasova on a manageable contract (under $10m) and Jennings on a reduced contract ($6m). This would still give us room to hopefully find an All-Star caliber free agent PG

My ideal starting group would be:

SF Hezonja
PF Gordon
C Vucevic
SG Oladipo
PG All-star recruit

Second unit would consist of Fournier, Ilyasova, Dedmon, Payton and Jennings with some rookies in the wings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not many media types liked our trade of Harris but if you watched more than one game in January you'd know that the team wasn't working and it seemed like the players had given up on it, so I was glad to see we made a move. I'm also happy to bounce a dude who had his best year in a contract season and then reverted back to trend after getting paid. Likewise he was getting paid like 16m which is a decent chunk of money to clear. The only bad sign is that Skiles has now moved Thobias twice, so it might be a player and coach who don't mesh more that it's a player who stinks.

On Jennings, I think we picked him up at a good point. Coming back from a serious injury he's unlikely to play the lights out in the 2nd half of the season and, if we decide to keep him, that should allow us to re-sign him at a bargain price. He can create his own shot and Orlando lacks that but, just as importantly, if he gets back to his best a cheap contact should make him an asset.

Also, according to Lowe, clearing this cap room should allow us to make a run at Harford or Noah, keep Fournier and have a fair bit left over. That sounds alright.

I hate it. Having Serge for a year rental while giving up our potential franchise player AND our lottery draftee?

Terrible dealing by Henny and our front office.
Yeah I'm not a fan either. Think we gave up way too much. I would have thought we would want to be strengthening our offense more than our defence, and we trade out our second best offensive player for a defender? I'm just hoping there is more in the pipeline that we don't know about that will help this trade make more sense.

Yeah I'm not a fan either. Think we gave up way too much. I would have thought we would want to be strengthening our offense more than our defence, and we trade out our second best offensive player for a defender? I'm just hoping there is more in the pipeline that we don't know about that will help this trade make more sense.
I mean when you think about it makes sense that we go after a defensive guy considering Vogel is a defensive coach, but to give so much for Ibaka is just stupid.

So sad that Dipo is gone. :(

I mean when you think about it makes sense that we go after a defensive guy considering Vogel is a defensive coach, but to give so much for Ibaka is just stupid.

So sad that Dipo is gone. :(
Yeah I get that, I'm just hoping we still have some consistent ways of scoring. Outside of Vuc who else is going to regularly score? Breakout season for Hezonja maybe?

The other question/concern I have is what now for Gordon? Does he move back onto the bench?

If Vucevic is going to be our starting centre we needed a defensive Power Forward next to him and getting Ibaka makes sense.

Olidipo and Payton both aren't great shooters and both like driving to the hoop. Together they are easy to defend against and to open our offensive game one needed to go and we need a shooter to step in. With Frounier and Hezonja being good shooters at the SG spot it was easier to put Dipo up for trade.

As for the trade it does look like we payed a fair bit but Ibaka is only 26 and a 3 x all defensive player, he wasn't going to be cheap. Olidipo will be on the last year of his rookie contract and if him and Payton aren't the answer together in the back court then it probably wouldn't be wise to sign him on a big deal next year, better to get something out of him this year. Now just need to convince Ibaka to stay for the long term. Hopefully through free agency we can add a few more pieces.

Last edited:
Guys like most of you I was very errrmm annoyed and disappointed with the trade, Hennigan came and was supposed to be a mastermind and has been underwhelming but the longer I think about it the more it makes sense.

You guys have to remember that Serge is a true stretch 4, he has legitimate range but because he was feeding off scraps he rarely had the opportunities he'll get with us. Ibaka said in his end of season interview with the Thunder that he's not keen on being a jack of all trades, no more bullshit he wants to be a true 4, he'll be that with the Magic. elite defender with great range, his big weakness is the laziness he shows on the boards, he'll need to a more aggresive rebounder from day 1.

Dipo was frustrating as hell, his crappy mid rangers done my head in and his handles being quite poor stopped him from being a dynamic 1. His ceiling has been reached, there was nothing more to get out of him.

With Serge we have a potential good scorer and an elite defender and rim protector and if he has a great season we throw him a large contract and if he doesn't we move on and reload.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back