Orourke - Hamstring - again!

Remove this Banner Ad

It's nothing personal against the kid. I'm sure he is more disappointed than we could ever imagine. It's just that some players simply do not have the body types to stand up to afl level. It appears that JOR is one of those players. X ellis was in the same boat as is Nathan Freeman who hasn't played a single game at afl yet due to dodgy hamstrings. The club took a punt on JOR and unfortunately it looks to have back fired. Win some loose some

It doesn't look good does it? I was a big advocate for the kid, the injuries look like it could kill him in the end.

Again - are those who are absolutely smashing JOR on his form or talent as opposed to his injuries - how much do you watch Box Hill games? Or do you assume that because he couldn't muscle his way past our premiership midfield that he must be the worst player in history. I am not an advocate or fan of JOR - but for * sake he hasn't even had the slightest chance to prove himself and everyone is acting like he is the worst player in history.

Calm down JOR lovers! Nobody has asked he be put to the firing squad?
Newsflash!! Not everybody on an AFL list is good enough! I bet Jack Watts wishes he was a pick 2 so he could float on through like this guy.
He could have 2 bionic hamstrings and it won't matter a bit.
Lets swap him for a box of strapping tape at the end of the season. At least the tape will get a run in the best 22.

My sarcasm meter is turned off, so I can't read this post.

It's nothing personal against the kid. I'm sure he is more disappointed than we could ever imagine. It's just that some players simply do not have the body types to stand up to afl level. It appears that JOR is one of those players. X ellis was in the same boat as is Nathan Freeman who hasn't played a single game at afl yet due to dodgy hamstrings. The club took a punt on JOR and unfortunately it looks to have back fired. Win some loose some

The same X Ellis who was brilliant in the 2008 Grannie?

I'd be very happy if JOR did the same in 2018 (or 2017)!

The same X Ellis who was brilliant in the 2008 Grannie?

I'd be very happy if JOR did the same in 2018 (or 2017)!

I'm fairly sure most would accept that Ellis was overall a disappointment for a pick 3.

As for JOR I'm fairly sure he will be on the list for 2018, regardless of how things pan out for him in 2017. There seems to be influential people at the club that are willing to back his talent in.

I'm fairly sure most would accept that Ellis was overall a disappointment for a pick 3.

As for JOR I'm fairly sure he will be on the list for 2018, regardless of how things pan out for him in 2017. There seems to be influential people at the club that are willing to back his talent in.

Ellis' injuries let him down.

But he was close to our best in the 2008 Grand Final.

Again - are those who are absolutely smashing JOR on his form or talent as opposed to his injuries - how much do you watch Box Hill games? Or do you assume that because he couldn't muscle his way past our premiership midfield that he must be the worst player in history. I am not an advocate or fan of JOR - but for **** sake he hasn't even had the slightest chance to prove himself and everyone is acting like he is the worst player in history.

Josh Kennedy couldn't muscle his way past our midfield... :'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

Again - are those who are absolutely smashing JOR on his form or talent as opposed to his injuries - how much do you watch Box Hill games? Or do you assume that because he couldn't muscle his way past our premiership midfield that he must be the worst player in history. I am not an advocate or fan of JOR - but for **** sake he hasn't even had the slightest chance to prove himself and everyone is acting like he is the worst player in history.

im not 1 to knock a bloke when he is down. sad news on the injury.
what excatly do u see in him? i watch half a dozen vfl game live.. i just dont see any elite attributes in his game, disposal,decision making,speed,work rate? being a high draft pick carry a higer expection unfairly.
he did get two go of 3games in arow. one turning up total of 6tackles in 3games.

prime example langford disposal is not afl standard we all know this but his workrate and will at the contest make him a worthy selection at times.

im not 1 to knock a bloke when he is down. sad news on the injury.
what excatly do u see in him? i watch half a dozen vfl game live.. i just dont see any elite attributes in his game, disposal,decision making,speed,work rate? being a high draft pick carry a higer expection unfairly.
he did get two go of 3games in arow. one turning up total of 6tackles in 3games.

prime example langford disposal is not afl standard we all know this but his workrate and will at the contest make him a worthy selection at times.

I'm not an advocate of his myself - I think he does some okay things but he's not screaming out that he's a star in the making. I just think the rabid commentary as to his skills from many are from people who have barely watched him play so is unwarranted.

His VFL stats last year are similar to Stewart's yet everyone is clamouring to be on Stewart's bandwagon and ready to cast JOR aside.

Same goes for Anderson who did about 3 highlight reel things in the seniors and not a lot else, had an impressive highlight reel as a junior and was continually hailed on here as the next big thing despite never really having the runs on the board - particularly at VFL level.

I just feel for JOR and feel he's been maligned from the getgo because of the price paid to obtain him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yea i see what you are saying..
just one of those things really unfortunatly when u give up a bit for a player they are expected to perform at some stage.
hopefully he gets some conferdance and regular games he will get to a regular afl level. it would be handy.
stewart i think he has actually shown more in the seniours..looks like he belongs.

His VFL stats last year are similar to Stewart's yet everyone is clamouring to be on Stewart's bandwagon and ready to cast JOR aside.

I think that one of the major differences, and certainly the one that I see, is that Stewart has a demonstrably obvious defensive side. I can't recall O'Rourke having something similar or comparable.

I don't. I still have hope that he can live up to his potential. I just pray that as he fully grows into his body the hammy injuries disappear as has happened with players many times before. If he gets a consistent run at it he may still live up to his billing, we all have our fingers crossed that that's the case.

Have to feel for the kid but he's just about cooked...whilst different types of players,the following are players that are fighting to be "starting 22" players this season and will all play senior football before him this season:
Stewart
Burton
Miles
Hartung
Lovell
Hardwick
Brand
Heatherly
He will need a miracle to be a starting 22 player come season's end. Extremely disappointing for a former #2 draft pick.
Of those I'd only have Hartung, Stewart, Burton and Brand ahead of him.

People writing off his year already??!!!! Hilarious.
We're not writing off his year, we're saying the odds of him becoming a best 22 player just got longer and they weren't terribly short to begin with.

I like Stewart a tonne more, Lovell lots more, and Miles a bit more.;)
Happy to give those guys the opportunity JOR hasn't taken, nor do I think has the physical tools even when 100% healthy to grab. No zip to his game in any dept, doesn't have Kade's toughness, Lovell's sidestep and acceleration, nor Miles vision.
If we hadn't given up what we did, and he was a rookie listed player we'd punted on, no-one would be gnashing their teeth on here desperate to have him make it above others on the squad.

Supporters need to get over trying to wish things into existence.
Lovell had plenty more A grade performances last year at BH than JOR has had in his entire time on the list. Even at BH, JOR looks like a B plusser who doesn't show the need to absolutely smash it.
Connor Glass will make you forget O'Rourke, or maybe it will be Cousins.
Just let the kids who are good enough show it to you, prove it to you, and then ride with them.

Worked for a legend named Sam.
JOR's AFL games have been far better than Lovell's. Ffs O'rourke hasn't even been bad, just not great. People were expecting him to be bog but when he just gets 15 touches a goal and very few mistakes suddenly he's not afl standard and no chance of it.

He's earned his games and been okay, had many injuries preventing him reaching his best. Bruest, suckling, Langford all spent a long time atbox Hill before performing well.

Can't get a clear run at it. Has some flaws but also has some talent. Is meant to be one of the best runners at club when fit, and is not slow.

Hope we can fix his hammies as none of Howe, Stewart, Lovell really excite me and we need some options.

Writing his season off is ridiculous - its march ffs.

I'm not an advocate of his myself - I think he does some okay things but he's not screaming out that he's a star in the making. I just think the rabid commentary as to his skills from many are from people who have barely watched him play so is unwarranted.

Same goes for Anderson who did about 3 highlight reel things in the seniors and not a lot else, had an impressive highlight reel as a junior and was continually hailed on here as the next big thing despite never really having the runs on the board - particularly at VFL level.

I just feel for JOR and feel he's been maligned from the getgo because of the price paid to obtain him.
Pretty sure Jed kicked 7 for box hill one day. And was brilliant in 2 games against Sydney, 1 being a final.

Pretty sure Jed kicked 7 for box hill one day. And was brilliant in 2 games against Sydney, 1 being a final.

That was 1 game where he kicked 6 goals. He had plenty of average games as well. Plenty of players who have the occasional belter of a game in the VFL who aren't up for playing seniors.

He also wasn't 'brilliant' in those games against Sydney. He came on and did some good things. That was the extent of his career at Hawthorn - flashes of good things weaved in amongst a whole lot of meh. That he averaged 11 touches over 10 games for North last year shows where he's at. As it stands JOR's VFL and AFL stats are more impressive overall than Jed's.

Mate, I like what you have you say pretty much all the time.......however.
The bolded is a bit rich.
This is his 3rd season at the club. OUR club.
Let me cut and paste from his Bio on the Hawks site describing his first year over with us:

"The talented midfielder played only two games for Hawthorn in his first season since crossing from Greater Western Sydney, but the key for O’Rourke was he didn’t miss any games with injury after struggling for full fitness with the Giants. After 12 months in the Hawthorn system, he should be cherry ripe to play more senior football in 2016 and, given the generational change looming at the club, he is in the right place at the right time."

That doesn't speak to being injured full time with us, does it???

He played 9 games total in his two seasons at the Giants. He must have been fit enough, uninjured often enough for at least a run of some weeks to get the chance to get fit, get some form and to be picked to play, right?
He kicked 0 goals in his time there.

4 seasons, 18 games, 4 goals.
Not close to worst player ever, but you have to at some point show a tantalizing moment of your ceiling as a player.
Something. An uncanny blind turn in traffic showing you know where everyone on the field is. Hitting the bottom or back of the pack at absolutely full tilt showing you have the nous, and confidence, to have the spotlight hit you come good or bad as a result.

I just don't see it.
Sorry, but as I think Roger or Randy said, it won't make a lick of difference what I think or write as to whether the kid makes it. So don't get so worn out by some criticism of JOR, it's not undercutting his chances and you my friend are in the cat bird seat to say 'told you so' if you're proven right!;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back