Orourke - Hamstring - again!

Remove this Banner Ad

For those that have never seen it, this is his pre-draft video done by Herald Sun draft expect Sam Landsberger back in 2012. Here's a few of quotes regarding O'Rourke...

"Classy, smooth-moving midfielder"

"Excellent foot skills"

"Ball magnet that boasts a sexy mix of inside and outside poise"

"Has the ability to cut up games in devastating bursts"

"Uncanny ability to play the perfect tempo before accelerating under pressure, much like Chris Judd"

I personally am not going to lose faith in him this early in the season. I want him to be given a chance in the seniors at some point this year, whether it's through BH or straight into the team against a weaker side. Either way I judge that the club will make the right decision regarding him and whether he is part of our strongest 22 for the year.

Barracked for richmond, M. Lloyd as a mentor & likes cotchin. Sadly, he's cooked.

He has had moments during games when he is in full flight and has collected 7-8 touches for a quarter, been slick with his hands and has attacked the middle part of the ground with his running ability. The issue is he floats badly in and out of games, this has absolutely nothing to do with his talent, the talent is there. He needs consistency at the top level with his body, once he gets that and string 6-10 games together in a row he will gain that experience that he needs to contribute for larger parts of the game.

I'm not off him, I have always been a fan, I just want the kid to have a good run at it.

Yep.

If any reports of Mitch & Lewis being overbearing are true then I look at JOR to be the type of guy to be reluctant to go against the grain to establish himself at the expense of the older guys.
I honestly think that now that we have Mitchell, O'mera, Shiels...Langford as the main midfield group he has the opportunity to achieve his potential to develop as a maturing midfielder with his piers rather than following a dominant lead.

I mean he's played 18 career games. I hope we play him at every opportunity this year, just so he gets a chance when he's fit.

For those that have never seen it, this is his pre-draft video done by Herald Sun draft expect Sam Landsberger back in 2012. Here's a few of quotes regarding O'Rourke...

"Classy, smooth-moving midfielder"

"Excellent foot skills"

"Ball magnet that boasts a sexy mix of inside and outside poise"

"Has the ability to cut up games in devastating bursts"

"Uncanny ability to play the perfect tempo before accelerating under pressure, much like Chris Judd"

I personally am not going to lose faith in him this early in the season. I want him to be given a chance in the seniors at some point this year, whether it's through BH or straight into the team against a weaker side. Either way I judge that the club will make the right decision regarding him and whether he is part of our strongest 22 for the year.

Geee, you just don't lose the talent.. it's all about his body. We're not talking about a Tim Obrien here, this isn't a kid who has no idea what to do in a game of footy, he is a gangly athlete trying to learn the game. Jono is a talented inside/out mid who had Cyril hammies, I trust the club to get it right like they did Cyril.

Yep.

If any reports of Mitch & Lewis being overbearing are true then I look at JOR to be the type of guy to be reluctant to go against the grain to establish himself at the expense of the older guys.
I honestly think that now that we have Mitchell, O'mera, Shiels...Langford as the main midfield group he has the opportunity to achieve his potential to develop as a maturing midfielder with his piers rather than following a dominant lead.

No doubt our footy club has had a dicatorian/establishment aspect to it for a long time, and who could begrudge it when we have had the success we have? But for young guys like Jono who are a little more introverted and reserved it must have been daunting, I agree though, he has a chance to establish himself with his peers. The guys in our midfield now are guys he was with at the AIS and played against as a junior, it was only 5-6 years ago and that would give him confidence.

It's hard in any profession to excel when you don't feel like you belong.

No doubt our footy club has had a dicatorian/establishment aspect to it for a long time, and who could begrudge it when we have had the success we have? But for young guys like Jono who are a little more introverted and reserved it must have been daunting, I agree though, he has a chance to establish himself with his peers. The guys in our midfield now are guys he was with at the AIS and played against as a junior, it was only 5-6 years ago and that would give him confidence.

It's hard in any profession to excel when you don't feel like you belong.

Exactly, Jono will be itching to run out in the new look midfield. I don't understand the willingness to write him off nor do I get the rush to round 1, the season is long. Bring him in round 5 and tell him to back himself in.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

He'll struggle to get over these hammy injurys, some people's body's aren't meant to be able to handle afl workloads. I started getting hammy problems at 23 and never really shook them until I changed the way I played footy. They take ur zip and explosiveness away and it's always in the back of your mind during games. I had to learn to not sprint during games (obviously not possible at afl level) and changed positions from a mid to a back flank. Feel sorry for the kid, it'll probably cost him any chance of having an afl career

Again - are those who are absolutely smashing JOR on his form or talent as opposed to his injuries - how much do you watch Box Hill games? Or do you assume that because he couldn't muscle his way past our premiership midfield that he must be the worst player in history. I am not an advocate or fan of JOR - but for **** sake he hasn't even had the slightest chance to prove himself and everyone is acting like he is the worst player in history.
True. Especially as the worst in history would be Mitch thorp

This is from the latest injury report from the AFL site. If true, I'm all for an extended rehabilitation for the lad.

". In some ways, the early exit from last year's finals was a bonus in that it allowed the playing group to freshen up after several gruelling campaigns. Ceglar is making strong progress and now appears certain to play before the end of the season, but O'Rourke has now injured both hamstrings this pre-season. The Hawks are considering following the same path they did with Cyril Rioli in 2014, holding him out of football for several months to allow him to rebuild and rehab without the pressure of returning to play. - Ashley Browne "

He'll struggle to get over these hammy injurys, some people's body's aren't meant to be able to handle afl workloads. I started getting hammy problems at 23 and never really shook them until I changed the way I played footy. They take ur zip and explosiveness away and it's always in the back of your mind during games. I had to learn to not sprint during games (obviously not possible at afl level) and changed positions from a mid to a back flank. Feel sorry for the kid, it'll probably cost him any chance of having an afl career

What was different with Cyrl?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly, Jono will be itching to run out in the new look midfield. I don't understand the willingness to write him off nor do I get the rush to round 1, the season is long. Bring him in round 5 and tell him to back himself in.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm hoping O'Rourke will follow Chance Bateman's path.
Changer had several years of hamstring problems and couldn't get a decent run in the Firsts.

And he ended up starring in the 2008 Grand Final.

Go Jono!

I'm hoping O'Rourke will follow Chance Bateman's path.
Changer had several years of hamstring problems and couldn't get a decent run in the Firsts.

And he ended up starring in the 2008 Grand Final.

Go Jono!

Agreed, hi Jono!

I'm itching to say we have TOM/JOM/JOR all playing in the same side, love the caps shorthanded versions of their names

What was different with Cyrl?
Cyril has changed the way he plays, spends minimal time In the middle and doesn't go at top speed for longer distances. I still remember the last time he did his hammy against north, he sprinted down the line with some1 on his tail and burnt him off but did his hammy in the process. It's going to be very hard for jor to play to his fullest in the midfield without that explosive speed

Cyril has changed the way he plays, spends minimal time In the middle and doesn't go at top speed for longer distances. I still remember the last time he did his hammy against north, he sprinted down the line with some1 on his tail and burnt him off but did his hammy in the process. It's going to be very hard for jor to play to his fullest in the midfield without that explosive speed
Someone gave him a push in back just to make sure he did his hamstring from recollection. One of my pet hates and gutless all round.

This is from the latest injury report from the AFL site. If true, I'm all for an extended rehabilitation for the lad.

". In some ways, the early exit from last year's finals was a bonus in that it allowed the playing group to freshen up after several gruelling campaigns. Ceglar is making strong progress and now appears certain to play before the end of the season, but O'Rourke has now injured both hamstrings this pre-season. The Hawks are considering following the same path they did with Cyril Rioli in 2014, holding him out of football for several months to allow him to rebuild and rehab without the pressure of returning to play. - Ashley Browne "
Weirdly enough Cyril's hammy issues may be a blessing. We went to war with them and won. Might be a comfort to JOR

Remove this Banner Ad

Back