Player Watch Oscar Allen

Remove this Banner Ad

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Don't care that he is from WC, has some Matty Pavlich utility vibes about him.

Could have easily kicked 5 or 6 today if Darling hadn't had the blinders on, yet spent stints down back as a key defender.

Think he is going to be better than both Darling and Kennedy this year and I could see an AA spot in his near future. Also, Ben King is an absolute jet, wouldn't be shocked if he becomes the best key forward in the game at some point.

Pavlich is a very generous comparison.

He looks very good though and should take over from Kennedy as the #1 forward starting next year.

Ben King is the one who most impressed me though. I think he looks like being a superstar

Pavlich is a very generous comparison.

He looks very good though and should take over from Kennedy as the #1 forward starting next year.

Ben King is the one who most impressed me though. I think he looks like being a superstar
Hey, 4 goals switching between a key defensive post and the forwardline is no slouch.

But it's fair to say Pav was pretty special.

mighty_sainters and definitely will be better than Max King.

Agreed, Oscar Allen looks sharp-set now to be #1 Eag forward, dripping in confidence, and Ben King also continues to impress.

He's a very good player, this was tipped to be his breakout year by many and early signs look good.
I wouldn't really worry about that swingman/utility concept. He looks good as a forward, why fix what isn't broken and looks to be working well?

Kennedy is either finishing this year or next (or age declining regardless), so it makes sense to keep Allen as that next long term KPF.

He's a very good player, this was tipped to be his breakout year by many and early signs look good.
I wouldn't really worry about that swingman/utility concept. He looks good as a forward, why fix what isn't broken and looks to be working well?

Kennedy is either finishing this year or next (or age declining regardless), so it makes sense to keep Allen as that next long term KPF.

It's an interesting one. Basing it on one game is tough, but you'd think the best version of Oscar Allen is as a permanent forward. However, the best version of West Coast has Allen playing this hybrid role and playing 2 ruckman. He seems talented enough to pull it off, but it's a big ask from a fourth year player.

It feels like a move that could unlock the Eagles as the best team in the comp. Plenty to play out, but a very interesting start to the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Discount Majak Daw

Selection and match committees unfortunately aren't doing the same with Jarrod Brander.

With regards to the topic, I sort of wish it wasn't started by an Eagles poster, but definitely happy with his development - he is primed to immediately slot in for Kennedy when he calls it a day.

The swing man role is important as the Eagles need to play two rucks, NN simply cannot ruck 80 or 90% of a game.

So Eagles play another ruck but not a 3rd tall defender. Allen is used sparingly in defense to give Gov and Barrass a rest on the bench.

When JK finally retires Oscar will be a forward and the likes of Waterman / Brander come in for JK and they become the swing man forward and back.

Having too many quality talls has actually hurt the Eagles in the past 12 - 18 months. We end up playing them out of position, we play too tall and we aren't developing our talls correctly or developing mids.

Yeah his future is definitely as a key position player and not a ruckman. He's only 192cm tall. The young gun at the other end yesterday is 202cm. That's basically Dean Cox. Who was a handy ruckman in the forward line but he wasn't a King twin.

Allen's biggest advantage is that he's just a good footballer. He's only played 39 games and and has been moved around the ground away from his natural position and still contributes. He's a bit like Darling in that he's got good hands and reads the flight of the ball well which helps to make up for the fact that he's slightly undersized by AFL standards. A lot of young key forwards come in and take time to adapt due to no longer having a physical advantage that they had in U/18s.

Noticed that on the weekend, he looks more solid.
I mean it's good that he has but on the flip side going into his 4th season he had add to his some what of a slight frame. Think once JK retires he'll put on a fair more size to FF/CHF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back