Delisted Oscar Clavarino

Remove this Banner Ad

Oscar Clavarino
Height: 197cm
Weight: 89kg
Position: Key defender

638663_gl.jpg

Callum Wilkie’s stamp on St Kilda’s new-look backline was one of the highlights of 2019.
Unfortunately, it came at the expense of Oscar Clavarino, who was firming nicely for a Round 1 debut before injuring his ankle in February’s intra-club match.
The agile defender lined up for 14 matches in the yellow, black and blue, with his intercept marking, aerial skills and clever ball use on full display.
With added mass and another full pre-season under his belt, Clavarino could be the next young Saint to have a breakout year.

A player who has divided a lot of supporters, but who a) needed to work on their body / muscle mass when they first came on the scene given their ultimate playing position and b) ply away at their trade at the lower level before establishing themselves at the higher grades.

My wish list for this year for The Clav would be an injury free run, to work alongside Nath Brown within VFL games for the full season, to settle and mature into his position.

For mine, I don't believe anyone expects a debut in 2020 except for if injuries strike (touch wood), but I really hope we do persist with him as I believe he has the ability to be an excellent stopper, but to also marshall the troops in defence and organise our team defence as he is a terrific leader and an incredibly smart footballer.

Are people happy with his progression or is the writing on the wall?

What does a successful 2020 look like for Oscar?

A player who has divided a lot of supporters, but who a) needed to work on their body / muscle mass when they first came on the scene given their ultimate playing position and b) ply away at their trade at the lower level before establishing themselves at the higher grades.

My wish list for this year for The Clav would be an injury free run, to work alongside Nath Brown within VFL games for the full season, to settle and mature into his position.

For mine, I don't believe anyone expects a debut in 2020 except for if injuries strike (touch wood), but I really hope we do persist with him as I believe he has the ability to be an excellent stopper, but to also marshall the troops in defence and organise our team defence as he is a terrific leader and an incredibly smart footballer.

Are people happy with his progression or is the writing on the wall?

What does a successful 2020 look like for Oscar?

I honestly believe we have a hidden gem in Clav, may take a little while for him to shine with the plethora of backmen we have, but IMO he will shine.

Oscar Clavarino has his sights set on a long-awaited AFL debut after piecing together his best performance in Friday’s scratch match against Brisbane.

The 21-year-old has battled a persistent hamstring issue since Round 1, with last week's performance just his second competitive hit-out post-injury.

Development Manager Ben McGlynn said it was encouraging to see Clavarino hit his straps against the high-end Lions after an extended period on the sidelines.

“It was really good to see him play a good game,” McGlynn told saints.com.au.

“He went for his marking, he represented us well in the air and his ground level defence was pretty good too.

“He can play on the smalls and the talls and he’s got Logan Austin down there as well who is playing that deeper defensive role, so between those two they rotate their responsibilities.

“Clav’s strength is his intercept marking, so we’ll try and get him to play that position as much as we can.”

The Haileybury recruit was cut down with a syndesmosis injury in the Saints’ intra-club match in February last year after a promising pre-season, before going on to play 14 matches for Sandringham in the VFL to close out the year.
Now, his importance to St Kilda’s depth has been bumped up following Nathan Brown’s return to Victoria late last week.
1595848330948.png

1595848348647.png

Oscar Clavarino
"Clav was very good aerially. We actually put him forward for the last five minutes of the game and after the game he could have done it for a quarter at least. There’s nothing better than a backman getting told he’s going to go forward for a bit.

"He had three genuine chances where he could have got the ball inside 30 metres and potentially kicked a goal, so whether that’s something we look at down the track if we need a swingman or something like that.

"We’ve got a fair few amount of key backs, so if we need some flexibility and we give players the chance to broaden their horizons a little bit and expand on their current skillset, then that’s our job."

Oscar Clavarino and Darragh Joyce spearheaded the defensive unit In the loss for Sandy by the Tigers . Great to see these two get in amongst the best players for Sandy .

Article from saints.com.au

It’s been a long and incredibly patient wait, but Oscar Clavarino will make his senior debut this Saturday against North Melbourne 1283 days after being drafted.

The young defender was told the news by Brett Ratten and Strength & Conditioning coach Steve Forcone at this morning’s team meeting, making him the 1626th AFL player to don the red, white and black.

Clavarino was selected with pick No. 35 in the 2017 National Draft – a class that included Hunter Clark, Nick Coffield and Ben Paton – before being moved to the rookie list at the end of 2020.

The 22-year-old has spent the past three-and-a-half years at reserves level, lining up for Sandringham in 37 games plus a handful of modified scratch match outings in Noosa.

A syndesmosis injury at the start of 2019 and a persistent hamstring injury throughout 2020 slowed his progress, but the wait is finally over for the untried Saint.

Been a tough time with Clav having had a few injuries over the years and from what I've read his form at Sandy hasn't been amazing.
This debut may be mainly because we got smashed last week against the dogs and the other key defenders we have tried this year haven't gone too well so he is just the next one to give a shot to but that also means the spot is there for him to keep if he performs.

If he doesn't show something he is probably in the firing line come the end of the season so fingers crossed.

Good luck big Clavicle!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back