Senior Oscar McInerney (2016-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rookie watch: Who's burning and who's still learning
The Lions have generally gone for some slightly more mature bodies to fill out their list in the past year or two. In Barrett they got a player ready to contribute at AFL level, while Grewar and McInerney were both proven at lower levels. The rest are a mix of size and pace, with some difficult decisions come the end of the season.

Oscar McInerney
The 22-year-old giant is having a terrific first season. For someone standing 204cm, McInerney is great at ground level, has excellent hands, and has kicked 17 goals when going forward in the NEAFL. Needs to add a bit more aggression, but has a real chance and should be around next year.

Nathan Lyon stood up? Geeze this guy is multi talented
797A5714974E4C1D87A0D9C5B2BC9BE5.ashx

“I’m really proud of the group,” said coach Mitch Hahn. “We’ve had some challenges throughout the week with our senior team finishing up, the best-and-fairest last night and the guys’ attitude the whole week, set up well by the whole coaching group who’ve done a fantastic job all year.

“Have to put it down to our guys and the way we attacked the contest, our pressure early forced them into some errors… Oscar (McInerney) was able to take some marks and we were able to trouble them with our talls down forward.”

McInerney, who won the Lions’ Neville Fallon Award for best NEAFL player on Friday night, was outstanding, gathering 22 disposals and kicking two goals.

“It’s been great, his development and improvement from since he first walked in, I think it’s a credit to himself. ‘O’ has been able to buy into that environment and work really hard on his craft,” said Hahn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McInerney's inclusion comes on the back of being named the club's NEAFL player of the year in 2017 and a strong start to 2018. The 23-year-old stands 204cm and will play as a backup to number one ruckman Stefan Martin.

"He's as dedicated a young man as I've seen," Fagan said. "He's quite a handy forward as well as a ruckman. "We just felt like we wanted to look at our team with an extra tall up forward to give Eric (Hipwood) and Dan McStay a bit of a hand and to give him an opportunity to play AFL footy.

"We're in the business of development as well, and you need the game at the highest level to give you feedback. "He's a great story of persistence. Fingers crossed he plays well tomorrow."

Lions’ ‘Big O’ ready to ruck ‘n roll
SHOWER screen installer, Christmas tree delivery guy and qualified accountant.

Oscar McInerney can now add another job description to his resume — AFL footballer. The 23-year-old mature-age recruit will make his senior debut for Brisbane when the Lions take on GWS in Sydney on Saturday evening.

Originally from Montrose in Victoria, McInerney’s journey to the top level has been less traditional than the likes of Hodge and Rich who were both star juniors and highly touted top- 10 draft picks. After pursuing a number of different career paths, the 204cm ruckman, known as “The Big O’’, decided to seriously focus on football.

He arrived at the Lions after being the 37th pick at the 2016 rookie draft after impressing for the Casey Scorpions in the VFL. McInerney went on to be crowned the best-and-fairest player for the Lions reserves side that won the NEAFL premiership last year. “Honestly I love coming here every day,’’ McInerney said.

e55a02f15568a87f8c7f930bbb9d46c2

“It’s phenomenal to call this my full-time job. “I really enjoy working hard and couldn’t think of anything better than getting the opportunity to run alongside all the boys and play my role for the team.’’

McInerney, the tallest player on Brisbane’s list, was named in the extended squad for last week’s QClash and Lions senior coach Chris Fagan said he thoroughly deserved his call-up to the big time. “He always plays his role for the team and is highly admired by his teammates for his work ethic and quirky sense of humour,” Fagan said.

Five talking points: GWS v Brisbane
3. Big O's road from shower screens to Spotless
Brisbane's Oscar McInerney had to overcome more than most to make his AFL debut. In 2014, the ‘Big O’ was splitting his time between seniors and seconds with Montrose in Melbourne's Eastern Football League. The 23-year-old then toughed it out in the VFL with Casey and, eventually, got on the Lions' list via the 2016 rookie draft. In that time, the 204cm ruckman had several part-time jobs, including delivering Christmas trees, and installing shower screens. Well done lad.

Debutant Oscar McInerney also went into the Brisbane record books as the equal tallest player in club history, joining former Lions ruckmen Cameron Wood and Trent Knobel and ex-Brisbane Bears ruckman Ian Kidgell, who played three games in 1991.

All are officially recorded at 203cm, one centimetre taller than Matthew Leuenberger, Beau McDonald and Eric Hipwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back