Oppo Camp Other Club News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda thought they were in contention so they traded for Ryder, Hannebery, Hill & Brad Crouch.
Ryder has been good, but the rest have been average - Hannebery a Beams-scale disaster.
They didn't really give Ratten the tools to be successful.
So what do they do?
Yup, make a scapegoat of the coach, with the worst possible timing.

All good points. Except the one about being friends with a Saints supporter……
The question needs to be asked though, why wasn’t this “poor game plan” identified during the season? Not two months after the end of the season and two months after signing an extension?
Somethings up.
Yeah... I was waiting for him to get the sack, then he gets a contract extension... Appalling management in my eyes.

Anyway, I reckon the Saints will be better next year if they find a more attacking coach.

St Kilda thought they were in contention so they traded for Ryder, Hannebery, Hill & Brad Crouch.
Ryder has been good, but the rest have been average - Hannebery a Beams-scale disaster.
So what do they do?
Good point. After those recruitment failures, it leaves them with a young and inexperienced list. But to me it doesn't excuse him for getting the team to play they way they were (high risk possession football with little reward). Unless it was designed to hide their deficiencies?

So what do they do?

The problem with St Kilda is that they have a s**t brand. Why on earth would anybody want to go there? Even Giants and Suns have more buzz about them these days.

And this focus on winning premierships rubbish doesn’t work. Nobody has been more focused on winning premierships over the last 2 decades than Carlton, and look where that’s got them.

It’s a good thing saints waited until after the trade period to announce it. Otherwise all those players that they traded for wouldn’t have come.. oh wait..

Spewing for us - the delay by a few weeks probably cost us $$$ and an extra year on DeGoey’s contract.

+ this has happened to him twice now.

Let’s not forget that he was sacked at Carlton before his time in favour of Malthouse.
Most Blues fans will tell you they are still extremely angry about that and how the club should never have sacked Ratten in the first place let alone replaced him with MM who was there for all the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
Some people have suggested they may look at Bucks. I’m not sure he’s the attacking coach you speak of though.
Hate to admit it, but I was never convinced with Bucks as a coach. I backed him when he was appointed, but he was never really a natural in the role and seemed to have to try too hard. Just an opinion, but I would steer clear of Bucks if i was appointing a new coach.

Hate to admit it, but I was never convinced with Bucks as a coach. I backed him when he was appointed, but he was never really a natural in the role and seemed to have to try too hard. Just an opinion, but I would steer clear of Bucks if i was appointing a new coach.
2018 restored my faith in Bucks for a while but our success that year appears due to the Longmuir effect. Similar to Hardwick who was going nowhere fast until they changed the people around him.

2018 restored my faith in Bucks for a while but our success that year appears due to the Longmuir effect. Similar to Hardwick who was going nowhere fast until they changed the people around him.
Bucks lost me when he traded Chris Dawes, and brought in the Q. Loved Dawes and because of Bucks Dawes requested a trade. I know Dawes was much maligned by some supporters, but he was DAWES!!! Big body and contested Key Position forward bull that we never really replaced, and one we would love now. I would have tried to keep him, and play him just as a forward, not as a relieving ruck like Bucks did.

Bucks lost me when he traded Chris Dawes, and brought in the Q. Loved Dawes and because of Bucks Dawes requested a trade. I know Dawes was much maligned by some supporters, but he was DAWES!!! Big body and contested Key Position forward bull that we never really replaced, and one we would love now. I would have tried to keep him, and play him just as a forward, not as a relieving ruck like Bucks did.
We all loved Dawes.

Some people have suggested they may look at Bucks. I’m not sure he’s the attacking coach you speak of though.
Buckley didn’t put himself forward for the North job. Why would he do so for the job at the worst club in the comp?
Having watched Buckley a lot on FF this year I really do have a new found respect for his insight into the game and it’s tactics.
He would be the ideal assistant coach with this analytical approach.
But his defensive mindset should exclude him from ever calling the ultimate shots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Usually I find the continued misery of an opposition club humorous and entertaining- But St Kilda is such an incompetent club that it's not longer funny. They're genuinely not worthy of being an AFL club. What other sporting clubs in the world that have been around for 150 years could you say are more historically pathetic than St. Kilda? And what do they remotely contribute?

people talk about 1970 and 79 being our worst GF losses but I'm starting to have more anger toward '66- the fact that we gave that unworthy club their one premiership in the most unworthy premiership winning fashion is an embarrassment to our club and an insult to the sport.

And a reason for their continued misery is decisions like this- How could any individual who has an iq higher than 46 look at St Kilda's list and genuinely decide that they need to sack the coach they just gave a contract to 3 months prior immediately? The Catholic Church should call for the name "Saints" be removed from such an Ungodly club

Usually I find the continued misery of an opposition club humorous and entertaining- But St Kilda is such an incompetent club that it's not longer funny. They're genuinely not worthy of being an AFL club. What other sporting clubs in the world that have been around for 150 years could you say are more historically pathetic than St. Kilda? And what do they remotely contribute?

people talk about 1970 and 79 being our worst GF losses but I'm starting to have more anger toward '66- the fact that we gave that unworthy club their one premiership in the most unworthy premiership winning fashion is an embarrassment to our club and an insult to the sport.

And a reason for their continued misery is decisions like this- How could any individual who has an iq higher than 46 look at St Kilda's list and genuinely decide that they need to sack the coach they just gave a contract to 3 months prior immediately? The Catholic Church should call for the name "Saints" be removed from such an Ungodly club
Saints should merge with Hawthorn and then move to Tassie.

Dawes left on his own discord. They brought in Lynch to be that releiving ruck and have Cloke/Dawes.

Dawes left on his own discord. They brought in Lynch to be that releiving ruck and have Cloke/Dawes.
Dawes was pushed out the door because his hands turned into trampolines.

He tried to turn him into the next Leroy - suffice to say, it didn't work

While I never wanted Lyon for Collingwood anyway after enduring our mind numbing football in 2021 the biggest knock for me is he'll need to overcome the entire history of the game to ever become a premiership coach.

That's not a chance I wanted our club to take but as it's one of the 17 other teams I really couldn't GAF.

In his defence he has been seen as a viable option for a number of senior coaching positions these past couple of seasons and was the leading candidate (after Clarkson) for the Carlton role last year before pulling out.

I kind of feel it'll be disingenuous for any media to now take a negative view of this impending appointment just because it involves a club he's already coached.

In reality the pickings have gotten pretty slim for St Kilda and while it might not be fair on Yze, with him having now gone for and missed out on a number of senior roles, appointing him could not only be seen as St Kilda settling for the 2nd best candidate but the 3rd or 4th.

Lyon might well not be the correct choice but of those available it's hard to argue that his record doesn't make him the most qualified and seemingly for many Saint supporters his appointment will be welcomed.

While I never wanted Lyon for Collingwood anyway after enduring our mind numbing football in 2021 the biggest knock for me is he'll need to overcome the entire history of the game to ever become a premiership coach.

That's not a chance I wanted our club to take but as it's one of the 17 other teams I really couldn't GAF.

In his defence he has been seen as a viable option for a number of senior coaching positions these past couple of seasons and was the leading candidate (after Clarkson) for the Carlton role last year before pulling out.

I kind of feel it'll be disingenuous for any media to now take a negative view of this impending appointment just because it involves a club he's already coached.

In reality the pickings have gotten pretty slim for St Kilda and while it might not be fair on Yze, with him having now gone for and missed out on a number of senior roles, appointing him could not only be seen as St Kilda settling for the 2nd best candidate but the 3rd or 4th.

Lyon might well not be the correct choice but of those available it's hard to argue that his record doesn't make him the most qualified and seemingly for many Saint supporters his appointment will be welcomed.
The PR machine has been in over drive. Apparently Lyon’s heart has been opened and he loves St Kilda.

Could have sworn he shat on them from a great height in 2011.

There is only one thing Lyon loves, and it’s stares back at him from a mirror everyday.

This appointment is hilarious.

Can’t wait for Lyon to come back and introduce his defensive game plan. Those games between saints and syd were thrilling back in the day… Lyon is more defensive than bucks and that’s saying something

Can’t wait for Lyon to come back and introduce his defensive game plan. Those games between saints and syd were thrilling back in the day… Lyon is more defensive than bucks and that’s saying something
Yes, but Lyon leads Bucks 3-1 for Grand final losses.

Im not sure about that. Dawes left because Bucks didnt value him enough. I think that was a mistake. Dawes provided a target, often attracted 2 or more good defenders at the contest and brought the ball to ground. He ran hard and although his stats weren't impressive from an objective viewpoint, didnt reflect his true value to the team IMO.
Buckley targeted Lynch because he was a free hit, and that proved to be a mistake. I was baffled at the time, because Lynch to me was always a hack.
Buckley also lost Heater around the same time IIRC. Was glad to get Adams, but im sure they could have found a way to get Adams without trading heater.
Losing Dawes and Heater in one hit was Buckley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back