Oppo Camp Other Club News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn: Looks like we're going to be a rabble over the next few seasons.

North: At least you had some great years. Won flags. We haven't since 99. Thank God we got Clarkson.

Hawthorn: Um, yeah, you might want to.....

Essendon: You suck North.

Carlton: Shut up and win a final.

Essendon: Shut up and make the eight.

Carlton: (laughing) At least we beat Colling....err. Never mind.

Essendon: I'm telling Sheeds on you Carlton. We beat Colling....err. Never mind.

North: Just a reminder that 1995 says hello.

Carlton: (crying) You're right no one has been more a rabble than us.

St Kilda: What's up guys?

Brisbane: Yeah what's up? Not talking about Fagan are you?

Collingwood: No one cares about you Brisbane. Just sit down and remain silent like you were told.

Hawthorn: If you must know St Kilda. North, Carlton and Essendon were all arguing about who has been the most irrelevant in the AFL era.

St Kilda: Step aside bitches.

Hey, happy to hear opposite opinions. For clarity my comment about Ratten was more holistic in that his win/loss record is reasonable over his career. His recent record with the Saints might have been below his average but he has sufficient goals on the board to justify the contract extension, in my opinion.
fair enough, and was just an observation and i have (rightly or wrongly) formed an opinion based on that. My assessment of StKilda's game plan wasnt something i would normally notice. It was just the frustration of barracking for them to win and watching them constantly turning the ball over with short kicks to contests. In total contrast to Macrae's risk/reward plays.
I cant say i know anything else about Ratten.

Cheers

Geoff Walsh still a Pies man through and through.

latest

"You get that cross for sacking coaches?"

Well pointed out Anzacday - I actually like Brett Ratten and hope he has some first-hand success as a coach. He deserves a lot better than the rabble he has had at his disposal.

Well pointed out Anzacday - I actually like Brett Ratten and hope he has some first-hand success as a coach. He deserves a lot better than the rabble he has had at his disposal.
Sadly, he looks as though his health has suffered as a result of his coaching forays

Hey Abdul,
I tend to disagree with regards to Rutten not being a bad coach. I watched a few of their games, and their game plan was horrible. Short passes in the back half to contested possession was executed so often that it had to be part of the plan. They suffered from constant turnovers, and the risk was to no advantage apart from maintaining possession. This is something that the Pies never did. From the backline/midfield, we only passed short to players on a good lead or when they were free. The only time we turned it over was if we didnt see the opposition nearby , poor kicking, or the opposition was good enough to anticipate the pass, or a bit of all three. If we did make a dangerous short pass, it was to break the lines and form an attacking move. There was obvious reward for risk.
Loved watching Saints beat Carlton, but that was just pure luck and Blues poor kicking.

Sorry for my rambling. its just that i believe the saints had to get rid of Rutten, and find a better coach. Cant do anything about past mistakes (resigning the coach for 2 years midseason) , and better to try to resolve them as soon as possible. His sacking , i believe is a good move for the club.

I like the saints coz they're my best friends club and i wish them well.
All good points. Except the one about being friends with a Saints supporter……
The question needs to be asked though, why wasn’t this “poor game plan” identified during the season? Not two months after the end of the season and two months after signing an extension?
Somethings up.

Sadly, he looks as though his health has suffered as a result of his coaching forays

I'm not a picture of perfect health myself, and don't imagine that AFL coaching would improve me, but Ratten has looked decidedly unwell during the Saints stint.

I've been worried about his health all year. His flushed face and weight is not a healthy look. I hope this sacking doesn't break him as having a full on commitment would be one way of dealing with the ongoing grief he must be carrying over the loss of his son. Hope he gets picked up as an assistant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not a picture of perfect health myself, and don't imagine that AFL coaching would improve me, but Ratten has looked decidedly unwell during the Saints stint.

This is purely speculation on my part but I suspect the tragic death of his 16 year old son in 2020 has something to do with it.

I too have worried about Ratts and his health and I hope the people around him are taking really good care of him.

If we ever had a suitable role for him at the club I'd also love to see him join us.

Kind of feel for Ratten. That list is just so damn ordinary. Plus seems like one of those cliche "nice guys" in footy.

Saints have really set the next coach up for failure by doing this the day after trade period ends. Whoever comes in inherits a list they have had zero say over.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

+ this has happened to him twice now.

Let’s not forget that he was sacked at Carlton before his time in favour of Malthouse.

Has there ever been a sacking at a weirder time? We're 6 weeks away from "everyone's flying and in career best condition"

I’d imagine one of two things happened …

(1) Bassett asked Walsh if he reckoned Ratten would win them their first Premiership since ‘66, and Walsh responded with something less enthusiastic than “Hell Yeah!!”, and so in a drunken rage Bassett fired Ratten.

(2) Walsh discovered something that made Ratten’s job untenable. Walsh had only been in the job a few weeks, you don‘t sack somebody on a 2 year contract that quickly without something serious going on.

Wouldn't have been Walsh - he hasn't started there yet. A few years back the AFL issued an edict to the lesser clubs (ie. the ones who are the financial remoras of the league) that they could only sign coaches on contracts with a 6 month max payout. Guessing the Aints are one of them.

Wonder what their review said about the Head of Footy just promoted to CEO?

Would be curious if North managed to get away with that.

Reckon they are swooping on Yze whilst available… unless there’s a chance for Lyon to return!

Hahaha!!!

Would imagine the chances of Lyon going to St Kilda Would be Zero, null, nada.

Last edited:
Surely to goodness the Saints Board hasn't just sacked him on a whim? They must have a replacement already lined up. Rossy boy, come on down

How would the Saints board explain that to their membership?

Besides, Lyon couldn’t get out of the joint quick enough last time. Can’t imagine he’d be champing at the bit to go back.

The pressure facing the saints coach. Holy… could be a poisoned chalice. Their list alone needs a good 3 years to fix…. So you are looking at 5 years… no new coach gets that.. even a new coach such as yze would be concerned

Remove this Banner Ad

Back