Sports Other Gold Coast Sports

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think it's about time we start this thread. Anything sports related on the Gold Coast outside of the AFL should go here. Let's try and keep it clean and not abuse other sports. I'll start with a few things:
  • On Friday, superstar Daly Cherry-Evans signed a four year deal with the Gold Coast Titans.
  • On Saturday, the Gold Coast Titans lost a heart breaker 19-18 in round 1 against the Wests Tigers at Robina.
  • On Saturday, Gold Coaster James O'Connor had a stinker for the Queensland Reds rugby union team as they were thrashed by the NSW Waratahs.
  • On Sunday, Gold Coaster Bernard Tomic sent the Australian Davis Cup team through to the quarterfinals for the first time since 2006 with two straight sets victories over the Czech Republic.
  • On Sunday, Gold Coaster Adam Scott finished 3rd in the World Golf Championships.
  • Over the weekend, the Quiksilver Pro surfing event has been delayed several times.
  • Today, the Gold Coast Sevens Rugby event has officially been moved from Robina to Sydney.
Experimental bigleague GC2015 Donble tigernova SUNS Big Red Machine Sunny_

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
GC has a pretty good National Baseball team (teams?). Strong juniors program on the GC also apparently. They play year round down there.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
GC has a pretty good National Baseball team (teams?). Strong juniors program on the GC also apparently. They play year round down there.
Are you sure about that? I can only find 6 teams in the Australian Baseball League - Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. I know the MLB runs a baseball academy in Carrara but I don't think they run any professional teams.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Pro baseball actually has an interesting history on the Gold Coast. Similar to other sports, the baseball teams on the Gold Coast would often rebrand. However, unlike other GC teams, it is the only sport in which the Gold Coast has picked up a national championship/premiership. The Dolphins/Cougars picked up the 91-92 and 98-99 championships. The teams were based out of Carrara in both Carrara Stadium and Palm Meadows over the years.

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Are you sure about that? I can only find 6 teams in the Australian Baseball League - Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. I know the MLB runs a baseball academy in Carrara but I don't think they run any professional teams.
I have no idea really. But ive been told the GC has the strongest Juniors in SEQ. Guess I just thought that may be because they have a National team driving junior development..

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Dvs0CxT.jpg

Here's a little tribute I found to the Gold Coast teams that are in the graveyard and their marquee players. I guess one thing the Gold Coast has never had is a consensus on what colours properly represent the city. You've currently got the Titans in blue and the Suns in red. The only constant appears to be the colour gold which makes sense for obvious reasons.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The media is REALLY start to get around the idea of cherry evans joining the titans before this season is over. Are there any famous cricketers from the gold coast? I think andrew symonds grew up here but I can't think of any others.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In a little bit of positive news I'm hearing the titans will be moving into the burleigh bears headquarters and that will be their training base.
I'm hearing daly cherry evans will announce tomorrow that he is joining the titans.
Who is your source GC2015? You have been dead on twice now days before the media reports it.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I just watched the interview Foxsports did with Daly Cherry-Evans and I have to say he seems like a well-spoken, level headed and honest guy. He seemed very likeable to me so I think he's a really good signing for the Titans.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Although DCE may improve prospects for the Titans next year, nothing seems to be helping this year. Giving away cheap tickets to the round 1 opener only managed to get them 14k people (which is good for NRL, but still 10k lower than a full stadium). I guess we'll see how they manage throughout the year, but I don't hold much hope for anything but the wooden spoon.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Bernie tomic just beat young greek aussie kokkinakis to make the quarterfinals of a big tournament in california. In other news a bloke by the name of marwan koukash has been confirmed to have stepped up talks to buy the titans. The problem is that same guy said last month that he would like to see the titans moved to brisbane and has a keen interest in running a second nrl franchise out of brisbane.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not a big netball fan but Gold Coaster Gretel Tippett is absolutely tearing it up for the Queensland Firebirds on Fox Sports 4 right now. Yes, she's the sister of Kurt.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Gold Coaster Grant Hackett finished fourth in the 200m at the Aus national titles over the weekend which has qualified him for the 4x200m relay team at the World Championships later this year. So here's the deal IMO, he'll attempt to qualify for the 2016 Rio Olympics at the World Championships this year but the main goal will be the 2018 Commonwealth Games. He is already a two-time Commonwealth Games champion in the 1500m and the 4x200m relay so if he works hard enough he can become a three-time Commonwealth Games champion in two events in front of a home crowd at the Southport Aquatics Centre. 1500m is probably extremely unlikely for someone who will be 41 years old by then but he has already shown he is still good enough to be a part of the 4x200m relay team so I think that will be his main focus. That would be a remarkable achievement and a great way to cap off what has already been an amazing career.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast hosts one of the 10 legs of the ITU World Triathalon Series events this weekend at Southport Broadwater Parklands. Other host cities include Abu Dhabi, London and Chicago so it's a big achievement to be on the same level as those cities. The Gold Coast News just revealed the track used this weekend will be the same that will be used for the Triathalon event at the Commonwealth Games in 2018. It was also revealed that the event will continue to be hosted by the Gold Coast until at least 2018. It will apparently bring 4000 people to the city. Great news for the city and the local economy!

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The Gold Coast won the right to host the 2018 ITU World Triathalon Series Grand Final today. It will be held in September at Southport Broadwater Parklands and is expected to inject around $19 million into the Gold Coast economy. Good news for the city.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's worth noting that earlier this month the Gold Coast hosted the Australian Open Table Tennis Championships. Last year the Gold Coast also won the rights to host the next five Lawn Bowls Australian Open Championships. Add this to the ITU Triathlon World Series, the Pan Pacific Swimming Championships and the recent friendly Manchester City game then you start to get an idea that the Gold Coast has put in a lot of effort when it comes to sport over the last 18 months.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Two things.

Wallaby great Nathan Sharpe and speedway champ Jason Crump join GC Sporting Hall of Fame

Deserving recipients. It's exciting to hear the Mayor say they plan on creating an honour board for the Hall of Fame inductees so the public can become a little more in touch with their sporting history on the coast.

Palm Beach Sharks name could go as new Gold Coast City FC entity looks to take game into future
Gold Coast City eye NYL, A-League

Expect this one to go through and Gold Coast City FC to officially be created later today. I think it's a more realistic way of getting a Gold Coast-based soccer team back into the A-League and seeing them survive. The club may even look to move its training base to Carrara in the near future given the very good facilities that will soon be completed.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
ANZ Championship to expand amid hopes that a franchise can be based on the tourist strip

HOMEGROWN international Gretel Tippett believes the Gold Coast should be strongly considered for a team in an expanded ANZ Championship netball competition.

Netball Australia has called for expressions of interest for additional teams for the ANZ Championship from 2017.

The current format of five teams from both Australia and New Zealand could be expanded by a minimum of two, perhaps more, and the Gold Coast is being touted as a possible base for one of them.

Netball Australia has confirmed the likely scenario is two new teams, one from Sydney and the other from Melbourne, in the 2017 competition, with officials reluctant to damage the Firebirds brand in Queensland.

Chief executive Kate Palmer said NA is “open-minded” about new franchises but suggested that a Gold Coast team set up in opposition to this year’s ANZ champions the Queensland Firebirds is an issue that would have to be discussed with Netball Queensland.

story-fnj94izo-1227669504325

“We’re not going to do anything that may pose a risk to the Firebirds brand,” Palmer said.

Tippett, who is contracted to the Queensland Firebirds and is off with the Australian Diamonds to play England next month, thinks the Coast would be an ideal base.

“It’s definitely a good idea, as long as it’s growing the sport and giving more players the opportunity at that level,” the 22-year-old goal attack said.

“It’d be great for the Coast and the area could definitely support it.”

Julie Prendergast is president of the Golden South Jaguars, an operation that plays in the Queensland State Netball League.

This is the team Tippett first played for when she switched from basketball in 2012.

Prendergast believes an ANZ Championship side could do well here – as long as people tipped in with financial backing.

“I think it would be wonderful to have another national competition team. How great would that be?” Prendergast said.

“But you would need a lot of support to run a franchise. People would have to get behind it and support it financially.”

So the rumour seems to be that Netball Australia wants to introduce three new Australian franchises in 2017, with a view of preferring two of those teams to come from Melbourne and Sydney. That leaves the Gold Coast in an interesting situation. It may come down to whether Netball Australia wants a team in the Gold Coast or Canberra. However, the Gold Coast would have the clear advantage as there will be world class netball facilities in place by 2017 for the Comm Games the following year. We know the Carrara Sports and Leisure Centre (where the Suns will train in the future) will include 11 netball courts and obviously also offers a weights room, recovery pool etc. that would be needed for a professional sports team. What I'm saying is - they could easily set up a training base in Carrara and play games at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre, which has a more than adequate seating capacity.

It's pretty obvious Gretel Tippett is a proud Gold Coaster and I'd like to think she'd switch allegiances if a Gold Coast team was started. A new Gold Coast sports team competing in a national competition may also open cricket's eyes and see a BBL team playing out of Carrara. The Carrara Sports Precinct could be pretty busy in the near future!

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Netball's ANZ Championship may expand with three more Australian teams

Three additional teams from Australia's east coast could be added to the the Trans-Tasman netball league for the 2017 season and beyond.

At the top of Netball Australia's wishlist are franchises with links to existing AFL clubs, building off the long-term success the Sydney Swifts have gained as a sister club to the Sydney Swans.

"I know netball really values their partnership with the AFL across the country," Palmer said.

"Because of the regional relationship between football and netball clubs, it's the perfect type of relationship that is fit for the community; the community element is really critical."

"We need a high performance environment for our athletes and to grow the opportunities for athletes in Australia - an organisation that understands high-performance sport and can manage a team from a commercial perspective."

Located on the east coast of Australia? Tick.
AFL club to partner with? Tick.
High performance environment/facilities? Tick.

Sounds promising for the Gold Coast!

Back