Sports Other Gold Coast Sports

Remove this Banner Ad

I might be wrong here, Matchu, but I think the Sunshine Coast franchise is being backed by the Melbourne Storm Rugby League consortium, whose feeder club in Qld is Brisbane Norths. So north Brisbane being closest to Sunshine Coast, probably gives them a strong local support group.
Close.

You're right in saying the Sunshine Coast netball team is being back by the Melbourne Storm but they are more closely affiliated than you think. As you correctly pointed out, the Storm's feeder club was once the Norths Devils but is now the Sunshine Coast Falcons. The Storm's under-20s National Youth Competition set up base on the Sunshine Coast this year as well. So clearly the Storm are trying to build a strong relationship with the Sunny Coast community through rugby league and netball ties.

It's actually very smart when you think about it. The Sunshine Coast is the 9th largest city in Australia and is the only Australia city in the top 9 without a professional sports team. That's 300,000 odd people that everyone has forgotten about until now. You'll also notice throughout Australia that a lot of football clubs associate themselves with netball clubs so this isn't a new concept by any stretch of the imagination.

I would guess this new netball team will be called the Sunshine Coast Storm and will wear purple & navy blue to further associate themselves with their namesake in Melbourne.

Good outcome for Gold Coast City FC (soccer) now that they've moved into their new home at the Runaway Bay Sports Super Centre. Big upgrade on the facilities they had in Palm Beach previously.

Good outcome for Gold Coast City FC (soccer) now that they've moved into their new home at the Runaway Bay Sports Super Centre. Big upgrade on the facilities they had in Palm Beach previously.
Playing on the artifical turf field?

I'm still picking rubber pellets out of my kitbag from 5 years ago.

Playing on the artifical turf field?

I'm still picking rubber pellets out of my kitbag from 5 years ago.
I believe so but the centre offers plenty of grass fields as well, if that's what they desire. The centre has undergone a bit of a revamp recently for the Comm Games and the most noticeable difference is the addition of a world class hockey field. However, for Gold Coast City FC, the Palm Beach surface was pretty pathetic for a second tiered team and they constantly had issues with the lighting not being up to scratch. It's also about the access to the gymnasium, pools etc. that will help the team improve.

You'll get a huge kick out of this, Mr Bods.

Gold Coast United back from the dead
Gold Coast United are back from the dead.

The defunct A-League club are set to be resurrected next year as new entrants into Queensland's National Premier Leagues.

Not-for-profit business group Sports Gold Coast has orchestrated the move, brought about by the merger of Gold Coast Athletic and Gold Coast Galaxy, two new franchises who were to join the new second-tier Queensland Premier League next year.

The merged entity have instead convinced Football Queensland to take back those licences and issue Gold Coast United with a single ticket into the men's and women's NPL competitions for 2018.

All local clubs on the Gold Coast have automatic membership in the new entity, which will be pitched as a community-focused, grassroots club that will aim to keep player registration costs as low as possible.

The long-term goal is re-entry into the A-League as an expansion outfit.

It comes five years on from the demise of the Clive Palmer-owned Gold Coast United, which suffered from abysmal crowds and was closed down by Football Federation Australia after three A-League seasons.

"It's a once in a football generation opportunity," Gold Coast United chairman Danny Maher, a tech entrepreneur and the founder of Opmantek, said.

"We are proud to bring United back in a community-driven model and unite the sport on the Gold Coast.

"United we can achieve amazing things.

"In the next few months we will roll out our plans and key announcements making United a serious force in Australian football."

Maher said the club had permission to use Gold Coast United's intellectual property after discussions with FFA boss David Gallop, but would let supporters determine what logo and playing strip the team would wear.
The NPLQ is one step below the A-League and Gold Coast City are currently leading in the 2017 NPLQ with three rounds to go. Gold Coast City also won their round of 32 FFA Cup match last night.

You'll get a huge kick out of this, Mr Bods.

Gold Coast United back from the dead
I was a member of GCU
Was so good
U could park at the ground, have a thai feed, and at fulltime get out of there with no traffic.

I cannot believe these people are going to use the same horribly tarnished GCU name.

But I so hope they get it done.

I went to the FFA Cup Gold Coast City FC game last night at Palm Beach.
Good Times

I was a member of GCU
Was so good
U could park at the ground, have a thai feed, and at fulltime get out of there with no traffic.

I cannot believe these people are going to use the same horribly tarnished GCU name.

But I so hope they get it done.

I went to the FFA Cup Gold Coast City FC game last night at Palm Beach.
Good Times
Good stuff mate. Although I agree the 'Gold Coast United' name has been tarnished, the new people involved have an opportunity to show it was more an issue with Clive Palmer than anything else. I wouldn't be surprised to see them set up base at Carrara across the road from Metricon at the new soccer fields.

Gold Coast City FC have been really good in recent years so you just hope this doesn't result in two average Gold Coast teams due to the player pool thinning.

Good stuff mate. Although I agree the 'Gold Coast United' name has been tarnished, the new people involved have an opportunity to show it was more an issue with Clive Palmer than anything else. I wouldn't be surprised to see them set up base at Carrara across the road from Metricon at the new soccer fields.

Gold Coast City FC have been really good in recent years so you just hope this doesn't result in two average Gold Coast teams due to the player pool thinning.

That does worry me too
GCFC are coming first in the QPL at the moment

That does worry me too
GCFC are coming first in the QPL at the moment
You mean GCCFC? The Suns are legally registered as Gold Coast Football Club - GCFC.

Gold Coast City won the NPLQ a few years back so they've been on a good run for a while.

Yes I do mean GCCFC. Pardon me. Ha ha ha what a faux pas.
Haha no worries. I just wasn't sure exactly which Gold Coast club you were referring to. Acronyms can get confusing when you have GCFC, GCCFC, GCUFC and possibly even GCTFC.

Gold Coast City FC made it through to the Quarterfinals of the FFA Cup last week and have drawn South Melbourne FC at home (Robina Stadium) on Wednesday the 20th of September. It is very much a winnable fixture and would be the first time the club has reached the semifinals of the FFA Cup.

I often hear about these glorious runs lower division teams go on in England's FA Cup and I think it would be really cool if that happened on the Gold Coast. If GCCFC do manage to win their quarterfinal, it's very likely they would face A-League opposition in the semifinals and most likely will get to play at home again. Fingers crossed that the boys can get the job done and give the public something to cheer about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back