Other 'North Melbournes'?

Remove this Banner Ad

I was watching something about the IPL and one of the teams was described as flying below the radar, being very practical, having a small group of dedicated supporters but with substantial achievements. I couldn't help but make the comparison to my beloved NMFC. So who are the other 'North Melbournes' in world sport? I want some clubs to support.

Characteristics:
- Not a 'big' club financially, supporter base or we-are-the-centre-of-the-universe arrogance-level.
- Unfavoured by the league authorities/persecution mentality
- Overachieving relative to financial size
- Shinboner spirit
- Nice-guy leadership and no-dickheads policy
- Neither feral nor snobby supporter demographic
- Straight-taking, open media profile
- other characteristics?
[Note, two of these don't apply to Pagan era]

Optional:
- Blue and White
- Sack Scotts
- Two weeks
- No cafe
- Stern Look

Leicester in the EPL. What they did a couple of years ago was downright freakish and will likely never be replicated again, particularly in a league that doesn't have equalization measures such as salary caps and drafts.

Leicester in the EPL. What they did a couple of years ago was downright freakish and will likely never be replicated again, particularly in a league that doesn't have equalization measures such as salary caps and drafts.
Funny, I was about to say Everton but right now you might be closer. :thumbsu:

Woodson gave some pretty compelling reasons for the Steelers in NFL a few years back.

Still applies today...

hsquid (FYI, consider adding barren history until the '70's) ;)
One of the clubs most celebrated player-champion/ HOFer (future) settled outta court for sexual conduct.
Both fell at the last hurdle at their most recent crack at the big dance (both on the road)
2018.. Hoping this YEAR BOTH BREAK their championship drought..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't follow the NBA but my son says that his team ,the Timberwolves, are definitely the North of that comp.

Fair call. A few nba teams could be compared, Utah & Indiana.
My one though is New Jersey/Brooklyn Nets (apart from the hype when relocated to Brooklyn).
Not popular, second to the 'big' Knicks.
Jerseys quite industrial/working class I guess.
When they were good, with star Jason Kidd they still were much less glamorous than other clubs. Kidd also got in trouble for abusing his wife I think.

Brooklyn brought in a bunch of veterans and thinking they'd compete for the title. Didn't work. Rebuilding now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back