Our 10 oldest players

Remove this Banner Ad

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I had a look at our ageing players to see where our list would be over the next 2-4 years.

Surely 2017 will be maccas last.
K Jack will probably follow after 2018, or perhaps play 2019 at max.
Hopefully we can get another 3 years out of grundy.
Tippett likely to finish up within the next 2-3 years. Geez time has gone by without him making a consistent contribution.
Smith will be around for the next 3-4 years depending on how speed affects his game over 30.

Buddy & kennedy should be around for the next 4 years (at their peak). But it's going to be a sad day when they no longer beast the competition.
Laidler & Sinclair are purely depth and will be lucky to hang on to their place in the side. Particularly Sinclair who's currently overpaid and would expect a huge pay cut if he's to remain in the side.
Towers is the surprise. He better get a hurry on. He's too old to be doing dumb s**t on the field. If he doesn't show something in 2017/18 he'll be done.

We're not looking too bad over the next 3-4 years. With our core players well in their prime and some talented youngsters developing. I think the next 3-4 years will be our best shot at a premiership or 2. And if we manage our list well, we could definitely build on our current list to extend that 3-4 year window.

I'm not at all pessimistic about our future.

20170101_191956.png

I'm guessing either the same or the 20th June. Spill the beans GTG!

I hate that a 31 year old is.... old

I figured it out GTG, it's grundy lol.

I was born in 82, so 2016 was the first season I was older than all players on the list. It's a bit of a sobering thought because you spend your childhood looking up to sports starts who are much older than you. Then one day you look back and they're a bunch of kids.

**** I don't know how I'd deal with being older than the Swans list. I'm only now coming to grips with the idea that some of our players are younger than I am.

LOL. That's where it starts. You start noticing the dob's of the younger guys being younger than you. Then you're around the same age as the core group, and then you're a couple of years younger than the elder statesman.

Then you get to my age

LOL. That's where it starts. You start noticing the dob's of the younger guys being younger than you. Then you're around the same age as the core group, and then you're a couple of years younger than the elder statesman.

Then you get to my age

:(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My mother and I were in the audience when Bedford was announced the Brownlow medal winner.
It was the first time the public could attend - it was at Dallas Brookes Hall in East Melbourne. The committee sat up on the stage, reading out the votes, without any enthusiasm at all. Of course my mother and I were jumping up and down! :)

Then you get to my age
I was 34 when Reg was born. You whippersnappers got no problems.

**** I don't know how I'd deal with being older than the Swans list. I'm only now coming to grips with the idea that some of our players are younger than I am.
Get used to it sunshine. I'm now coming to grips with the idea that soon some of our players will be young enough to be my grandson. And I vividly recall being your age.

Take it from me, life flies past. Don't waste a second of it.

I had a look at our ageing players to see where our list would be over the next 2-4 years.

Surely 2017 will be maccas last.
K Jack will probably follow after 2018, or perhaps play 2019 at max.
Hopefully we can get another 3 years out of grundy.
Tippett likely to finish up within the next 2-3 years. Geez time has gone by without him making a consistent contribution.
Smith will be around for the next 3-4 years depending on how speed affects his game over 30.

Buddy & kennedy should be around for the next 4 years (at their peak). But it's going to be a sad day when they no longer beast the competition.
Laidler & Sinclair are purely depth and will be lucky to hang on to their place in the side. Particularly Sinclair who's currently overpaid and would expect a huge pay cut if he's to remain in the side.
Towers is the surprise. He better get a hurry on. He's too old to be doing dumb s**t on the field. If he doesn't show something in 2017/18 he'll be done.

We're not looking too bad over the next 3-4 years. With our core players well in their prime and some talented youngsters developing. I think the next 3-4 years will be our best shot at a premiership or 2. And if we manage our list well, we could definitely build on our current list to extend that 3-4 year window.

I'm not at all pessimistic about our future.

View attachment 323880
The takeaway good news from this for me is that S. Reid is not on that list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back