Up the Coasters Our 2010 drafting went a long way toward this year's premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
We absolutely knocked that draft out of the park:

Andrew gaff
Jack darling
Scott lycett

Oh and some bloke called Jeremy McGovern off the rookie list.

That draft was arguably the one that set us up for grand final glory this season, and one of our best drafting years ever

157825.jpg

2013 was also a big one that helped us a lot imo
dom sheed
tom barrass
elliot yeo trade
It's interesting that in two years that we really performed below expectations, we managed to nail the draft and trading period. Just goes to show you only need 1 or 2 above average drafts to create a premiership list. The rest comes from player development, retention and culture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't we make finals in 2011?

Funny how different seasons work out. 16-6 in 2016 got us 6th (with a % of 130ish) this season we finished second with 122. 12-10 got you as high as 7th in 2017. 2018 you were as low as 11th

We absolutely knocked that draft out of the park:

Andrew gaff
Jack darling
Scott lycett

Oh and some bloke called Jeremy McGovern off the rookie list.

That draft was arguably the one that set us up for grand final glory this season, and one of our best drafting years ever

One mid? An outside seagull? Why draft a ruckman when we have Cox and Nic Nat? And some fat son of a Docker? WORST DRAFT EVER!

2013 was also a big one that helped us a lot imo
dom sheed
tom barrass
elliot yeo trade

Trading DOWN the draft order cos we knew Sheed would still be available? Just goes to show how highly regarded he is. Pathetic. It's like Masten the godson all over again. Another tall defender? We need mids not a late pick spud who won't dislodge Mackenzie! And we paid overs for Yeo, Brisbane bent us over with that one! HOPELESS!

FOLD THIS HOPELESS PATHETIC EXCUSE FOR A CLUB

/every draft megathread ever

No but this thread is about drafting not overall team success. You can nail a draft but still be a s**t team.
Maybe you need to take another look at the title.
We nailed a drafting with pick 4 plus 2 round2 picks which helped us win the 2018 flag. You essentially said it wasn't that special because we had the spoon (pick 1 in any other normal year) and a priority (normally Rd 1 selection) is drastically underselling it. The fact the 2 teams I mention regularly have had 2 or more selections in the first round, often in the top 10, and still languish down the bottom demonstrates that getting some great drafting picks doesn't equate to getting great players that deliver flags.

Maybe you need to take another look at the title.
We nailed a drafting with pick 4 plus 2 round2 picks which helped us win the 2018 flag. You essentially said it wasn't that special because we had the spoon (pick 1 in any other normal year) and a priority (normally Rd 1 selection) is drastically underselling it. The fact the 2 teams I mention regularly have had 2 or more selections in the first round, often in the top 10, and still languish down the bottom demonstrates that getting some great drafting picks doesn't equate to getting great players that deliver flags.
Mate I didn’t say it wasn’t that special

It’s just that people wonder why we can’t draft this well every time, and it’s because we never have this kind of draft currency.

Great draft picks DOES generally equate to getting great players - but that requires having a good system around them.

For that reason I don’t think you can use Carlton and Gold Coast as counterexamples - they’re absolute basketcases in terms of player development and are the exception to the rule.

We had good ND picks and we used them wisely - no real risks were taken, Darling should never have slid that far and Gaff was always a top 5 pick.

McGovern was a once in a decade successful punt on a rookie. He played a massive part in our flag, I agree.

I mean, sure, compared to other drafts this one had the most number of contributors to our success.

2008 came close in terms of real impact (Naitanui, Shuey), which was funnily enough another year that we finished at the bottom of the ladder.

Summary - yes we drafted well, yes we developed these players well, yes they had an impact in our success. The fact we had access to Gaff and Darling in the first place was thanks to a poor year (as well as some luck in Darling’s case).

we also seem to do well with getting the overlooked - roughies or outsiders who turn into diamonds!

I cheered when Brisbane beat WC at Subi toward the end of the 2010 season, knowing that it all but assured that WC would get a priority pick. 8 years later that PP proved crucial, culminating in WC winning a flag. Never turn down a PP if they're there to be had, all for the shortsighted reasoning of working on a 'winning culture'. A meaningless extra win or two in an already shite season means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Trust the process! Go you Philadelphia 76's ugh! Philadelphia Eagles derp, oh that's right, WC Eagles.

I cheered when Brisbane beat WC at Subi toward the end of the 2010 season, knowing that it all but assured that WC would get a priority pick. 8 years later that PP proved crucial, culminating in WC winning a flag. Never turn down a PP if they're there to be had, all for the shortsighted reasoning of working on a 'winning culture'. A meaningless extra win or two in an already shite season means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Trust the process! Go you Philadelphia 76's ugh! Philadelphia Eagles derp, oh that's right, WC Eagles.
Cheered? I've never been angrier after a loss (Mitch Brown's 'contest' pushed me over the edge)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back