Up the Coasters Our 2010 drafting went a long way toward this year's premiership

Pulsedriver

All Australian
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Cheered? I've never been angrier after a loss (Mitch Brown's 'contest' pushed me over the edge)

I did cheer, because I was seeing a bigger picture, looking to what WC could gain from a poor year to build for a future run at a flag. A really bad season like 2010, but without a PP, would've been far worse.

2010 sliding doors.

Brown hitting the deck like a total spud in the wooden spoon game. I lost my mind. Greater good or not.

Us losing to Port by 1 point. Think Shuey snapped the goal to tie the game up but then Rodan might have kicked the winning point for Port?

^Either of those went our way, and we likely wouldn't have had Darling.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
2010 sliding doors.

Brown hitting the deck like a total spud in the wooden spoon game. I lost my mind. Greater good or not.

Us losing to Port by 1 point. Think Shuey snapped the goal to tie the game up but then Rodan might have kicked the winning point for Port?

I've posted this numerous times but Brown's pissweak effort had me the angriest I've ever been watching a game

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Nah we would've still likely got Darling. Not impossible he gets picked up before our pick at ~28/29/30 region but only would've been a couple of additional picks to get through and given (almost) every club had already passed over him it did seem no one was prepared to take a risk on WA kid with a few off field issues.

The most likely casualty (from an Eagles perspective) would've been Lycett.

The same deal when other supporters say "If it weren't for priority picks you wouldn't have picked up Chris Judd". Actually without priority picks we still have pick #3 in the draft and we still get Judd. It's pick #6 we no longer have and therefore wouldn't have got Ashley Sampi.

Turboman1994

Club Legend
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Darling sliding that far is a real head scratcher he should of been top 15 even with the question marks he was as safe as a KPF prospect I’ve seen in all my time watching footy

Art OF war

Club Legend
May 5, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Darling sliding that far is a real head scratcher he should of been top 15 even with the question marks he was as safe as a KPF prospect I’ve seen in all my time watching footy

Remember that WCE were tossing up between Jack and Andrew with our first picks. If this was the case then my guess was that we rated Jack inside the top 8 whilst Andrew was in WCE top 3.

Last edited:

SHURN

Senior List
Mar 23, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
The same deal when other supporters say "If it weren't for priority picks you wouldn't have picked up Chris Judd". Actually without priority picks we still have pick #3 in the draft and we still get Judd. It's pick #6 we no longer have and therefore wouldn't have got Ashley Sampi.

Incorrect.
Without a priority pick we would have had pick 5.
1. Hawthorn (traded for Fremantle's priority pick) 2. St Kilda (Priority Pick) 3. Fremantle. 4. St Kilda. 5. West Coast.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Incorrect.
Without a priority pick we would have had pick 5.
1. Hawthorn (traded for Fremantle's priority pick) 2. St Kilda (Priority Pick) 3. Fremantle. 4. St Kilda. 5. West Coast.
Incorrect.

If priority picks don't exist Hawthorn and St Kilda don't have them either.

Truckosaurus

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Concerns were his junior dominance was entirely down to his early physical development and he wouldn't be able to perform in an even contest (despite performing fine in WAFL seniors). There were also concerns about his mobility (strange though it may seem now. Same thing was said about Kennedy after the trade too, by some on this board) and his height (same height as Pavlich too short for KPF apparently). Couldn't test at draft camp due to injury, which also meant he wasn't playing football in the latter part of the season so he slipped from some minds. Recruiter groupthink did the rest.

The AFL draft would be a fascinating subject for a study in cognitive biases.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
As pissed as I was at the time to miss David Swallow due to GC draft concessions it's worked out pretty well.

Gaff over Polec is also a thing of beauty. Can still remember the SA recruiters and SANFL people begging us to go with Polec, likely would've lost him by now whereas Gaff has stayed strong.

Darling's school camp indiscretion has been talked about enough. Also think some recruiters may have been turned away because they thought he matured too early. Similar to a guy I played juniors with. At 14 this guy was a man child, boy in a man's body. He was in all the development squads but never made it past Subiaco Colts in the end because they thought he'd recruiters believe there wasn't as much maturity left in him.

Lycett where we did was really sound and strategic.

McGovern got to the rookie draft because he carried a few extra kg's and opposition teams didn't see how he would become such a magnificent reader of the player. Clubs chose the athlete over the football brain in McGovern. We were in a fortunate position where we could take a calculated gamble their because of nailing the national draft.

Back