List Mgmt. Our 2024 Premiership team

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice thread, but outside my usual area of contemplation. I will say however that I think we are (based on today's list position) more likely to win in 2020-22 than 2024 at this stage. After that who knows.
Agreed. Things can change from year to year obviously, but one would think if anything, we are more likely to push for top 4 (if everything goes right) while Higgins, Cunnington, Tarrant and Goldstein are still in their prime.

The idea behind this thread is the proposition of always having a rolling 5 year list management plan. This highlights areas in our current list that need to be addressed. In this case, our future key defenders at this stage or lack of, is a bit of a concern more than anything else.

I am in no way suggesting that we couldn't win a premiership before 2024.

Applying the same rules in my op, you would also have a best 22 for years, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. All would look different based on the age of our list.

Absolutely, not having a go at the thread by not contributing outside of that comment. It's just not something I tend to speculate on all that much and therefore have less to contribute. I will say from your list that I agree with most (barring injury) but I wouldn't be as confident on roles existing for the following in that team as you are:

Atley
McDonald
Turner
Dumont

Barring injury I'd expect all of the others to still be here and playing good football.*

*Before everyone launches in, I'm not saying those four can't or won't be. Just that I see them as the most vulnerable to pressure from within the list as it currently stands over a 5 year timeframe. They're all more than capable of very good football.

Having said that ... until we get more of an idea of the likes of Durdin, Mackay and Larkey ... I dunno they could well be busts or move elsewhere but Larkey at least seems to show quite a bit of potential. I don't think your assessment of him is that reasonable given he's played less than a season. He has kicked five goals once, multiple goals on occasions and shows great competitive and footy nous. fair enough to leave him out of the list tho because he'll need more than a season of good form to make the best 22 you are talking about.

That's fair enough. Like i said, i'd expect he would be performing at a level this time next year that would see him added to the list. Just not quite right now imo

Taking all that into account - I think your best 22 is interesting. Dunno if Dumont will still be in it, dunno if Atley will still be playing HBF, maybe back to HFF and I'd think by then TT would be a full time mid. Otherwise I'm inclined to agree with it.

Also - JMac... turns 33 in the week leading up to the 2024 GF. Is he eligible or not by those rules? (I wouldn't be surprised if he manages to keep a spot.)

Maybe Atley and Dumont would eventually get moved to the bench if other players jump ahead of them in those positions...

B: M. Williams - B. McKay - E. Vickers-Willis
HB: S. Atley - J. Crocker - L. McDonald
C: W. Walker - J. Simpkin - J.Polec
HF: C. Zurhaar - B.Brown - M. Wood
FF: K. Turner - N. Larkey - C. Taylor
R: ?????? - T. Thomas - L. Davies-Uniake
INT: J.Anderson - B. Scott - P. Ahern - T. Garner - K. Hayden - D. Tyson - T. Dumont

Remove this Banner Ad

Back