List Mgmt. Our 2024 Premiership team

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thought this might be an interesting project and discussion on the future of our current list. The idea being that this list is continually fluid and aims to highlight where our deficiencies lie.

Planning our Best 22 team for he 2024 premiership!

A few rules:

- Players selected must not be 33yrs of age or older in 2024.
- Players must currently be best 22 or be young with significant proven upside at AFL level (LDU as an example).
- Players must be judged harshly in being able to be reliable at the premiership winning level. ie: Would you trust Durdin to play a lock down role on Jeremy Cameron if we played them this week and do so to the level of Tarrant or Thompson?
- Can't assume that a player will develop to fulfil a spot. ie: Must have seen enough evidence from them playing at AFL level.

My current best 22

FB: M. Williams - ? - ?
HB: Shaun Atley - ? - Luke McDonald
C: Trent Dumont - Jy Simpkin - Jared Polec
HF: Tarryn Thomas - ? - ?
FF: Mason Wood - Ben Brown - Cam Zurhaar
R: ? - Jed Anderson - LDU
INT: K. Turner - ? - ? - ?

I currently have 13 of 22 positions filled. Key defenders are a big problem and being harsh (but fair), I haven't seen enough from Durdin yet to put him on here.

Half Forwards are also an issue. Once again, like with Durdin, I have been harsh on Larkey as at this stage. I think he is 1 - 2 seasons away from playing at the level required that I'm looking for. In my opinion, he is currently hiding under BBB's shadow a little too much and is yet to take a game by the scruff of the neck. That said, at this stage, he is the most likely to take one of those vacant spots.

The Ruck spot is vacant but Campbell could fill that spot if he gets the opportunity to prove himself at AFL level.

EVW, Jacobs, Walker and Garner all left off because of injury issues.

Cunnington, Ziebell, Pittard, Hall and Daw not listed as they don't meet the 33+ age rule.

Ahern would have been named on the field at the start of the season, however his poor form has seen him drop out (this is what I mean by this list being fluid).

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thought this might be an interesting project and discussion on the future of our current list. The idea being that this list is continually fluid and aims to highlight where our deficiencies lie.

A few rules:

- Players must currently be best 22 or be young with significant proven upside.
- Players must be judged harshly in being able to be reliable at the premiership winning level.
- Can't assume that a player will develop to fulfil a spot.

My current best 22

I currently have 13 of 22 positions filled. Key defenders are a big problem and being harsh (but fair), I haven't seen enough from Durdin yet to put him on here.

Half Forwards are also an issue. Once again, like with Durdin, I have been harsh on Larkey as at this stage. I think he is 1 - 2 seasons away from playing at the level required that I'm looking for. In my opinion, he is currently hiding under BBB's shadow a little too much and is yet to take a game by the scruff of the neck. That said, at this stage, he is the most likely to take one of those vacant spots.

The Ruck spot is vacant but Campbell could fill that spot if he gets the opportunity to prove himself at AFL level.

Cunnington, Ziebell, Pittard, Hall and Daw not listed as they don't meet the 33+ age rule.

Ahern would have been named on the field at the start of the season, however his poor form has seen him drop out (this is what I mean by this list being fluid).
Do we really have to wait that long?!

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
Dumont, Atley, Williams and Turner?

Oyoyoy.

Yeh if they are in our best 22 in 5 years i'd imagine we will still be stuck in no mans land around 6-12 and up to our 3rd Bye Bye Rhyce thread.

They are barely best 22 now on current form and most of them have peaked.

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dumont, Atley, Williams and Turner?

Oyoyoy.

Yeh if they are in our best 22 in 5 years i'd imagine we will still be stuck in no mans land around 6-12 and up to our 3rd Bye Bye Rhyce thread.

They are barely best 22 now on current form and most of them have peaked.

Agree and disagree. I wasn't really sold on Turner so that's why he's on the bench but he could easily come out altogether.

Marley is an important role player. Premiership teams need those.

If Atley and Dumont are in our bottom six, i don't think we'd be going too badly. Once again, role players.

The important part of this that you didn't touch on are where the deficiencies are which is the other point of this exercise.

Black2Blue

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A few Ins and Outs between now and then, but if all are fit, I think we should be a good chance to win our 1st round in 2024 with this 22.

FB: Williams - McKay - EVW
HB: Crocker - Durdin - McDonald
C: Scott - Simpkin - Polec
HF: Thomas - Larkey - Walker
FF: Wood - Brown - Zurhaar
R: Xerri - Anderson - LDU
INT: Ash - Taylor - 2020 1st - Harvey jnr

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
Agree and disagree. I wasn't really sold on Turner so that's why he's on the bench but he could easily come out altogether.

Marley is an important role player. Premiership teams need those.

If Atley and Dumont are in our bottom six, i don't think we'd be going too badly. Once again, role players.

The important part of this that you didn't touch on are where the deficiencies are which is the other point of this exercise.

Tend to agree on Marley to an extent, however it would be nice if we could find a Marley type that could lock down and create.

We have too many one dimensional players, I believe that is the difference between us and the very best.

We have Dumont, WCE have Yeo. Hawks had Smith and Hill, Geelong had Duncan and Corey, Pies had Sidebottom etc

Just different class unfortunately.

I'd add Xerri to the list, he looks a great prospect as a long term dominate marking tackling goal kicking ruck.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Im not waiting till 2024, we are the toughest team in the comp, hardest team to play against outside of GWS on their day (post BS and as opp clubs state) few things go our way in the off season, include maj into our backline and a *in decent OOC half back and we will rock the *in casbah

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tend to agree on Marley to an extent, however it would be nice if we could find a Marley type that could lock down and create.

We have too many one dimensional players, I believe that is the difference between us and the very best.

We have Dumont, WCE have Yeo. Hawks had Smith and Hill, Geelong had Duncan and Corey, Pies had Sidebottom etc

Just different class unfortunately.

I'd add Xerri to the list, he looks a great prospect as a long term dominate marking tackling goal kicking ruck.

Xerri hasn't even played a game. Can't add him yet.

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Im not waiting till 2024, we are the toughest team in the comp, hardest team to play against outside of GWS on their day (post BS and as opp clubs state) few things go our way in the off season, include maj into our backline and a fu**in decent OOC half back and we will rock the fu**in casbah

This is not about having to wait until 2024. This is about keeping an eye on how our team is always shaping up into the future.

Now, how about those key defenders ey?

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A few Ins and Outs between now and then, but if all are fit, I think we should be a good chance to win our 1st round in 2024 with this 22.

INT: Ash - Taylor - 2020 1st - Harvey jnr

Doubt you read my op.

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Assuming Harvey jnr is Cooper?

Definitely no guarantee, the kids attitude is disgusting. Disrespectful. He can play though, but needs to fix the attitude. Won't get far with that attitude in the AFL.

Ummm why the hell are we talking about Cooper in this thread?

Totally irrelevant!

I didn't think this was such a difficult concept...

roos_tt29

All Australian
Oct 6, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne

INT: Ahern - Taylor - 2020 1st - Harvey jnr

You missed one - he'll be in there.

Nice thread, but outside my usual area of contemplation. I will say however that I think we are (based on today's list position) more likely to win in 2020-22 than 2024 at this stage. After that who knows.

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nice thread, but outside my usual area of contemplation. I will say however that I think we are (based on today's list position) more likely to win in 2020-22 than 2024 at this stage. After that who knows.

The idea behind this thread is the proposition of always having a rolling 5 year list management plan. This highlights areas in our current list that need to be addressed. In this case, our future key defenders at this stage or lack of, is a bit of a concern more than anything else.

I am in no way suggesting that we couldn't win a premiership before 2024.

Applying the same rules in my op, you would also have a best 22 for years, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. All would look different based on the age of our list.

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well you can leave him out if you so choose, he's in mine. And ahead of plenty of others too.

Oh geez. Is it really this difficult?

When Xerri plays at AFL level and proves that he can take that next step and provide a genuine contribution to our best 22, then he will be added to the team.

Just because he is not on there now, doesn't mean that he won't be on there some time in the future!

A few rules:

- Players must currently be best 22 or be young with significant proven upside at AFL level (LDU as an example).
- Players must be judged harshly in being able to be reliable at the premiership winning level. ie: Would you trust Durdin to play a lock down role on Jeremy Cameron if we played them this week and do so to the level of Tarrant or Thompson?
- Can't assume that a player will develop to fulfil a spot. ie: Must have seen enough evidence from them playing at AFL level.

My current best 22

So by your assessment our biggest weakness is tall KPPs?

I think one of the things your post highlights is the poorer drafting we had in 2014/15.

Having said that ... until we get more of an idea of the likes of Durdin, Mackay and Larkey ... I dunno they could well be busts or move elsewhere but Larkey at least seems to show quite a bit of potential. I don't think your assessment of him is that reasonable given he's played less than a season. He has kicked five goals once, multiple goals on occasions and shows great competitive and footy nous. fair enough to leave him out of the list tho because he'll need more than a season of good form to make the best 22 you are talking about.

Taking all that into account - I think your best 22 is interesting. Dunno if Dumont will still be in it, dunno if Atley will still be playing HBF, maybe back to HFF and I'd think by then TT would be a full time mid. Otherwise I'm inclined to agree with it.

Also - JMac... turns 33 in the week leading up to the 2024 GF. Is he eligible or not by those rules? (I wouldn't be surprised if he manages to keep a spot.)

Back