Our away/clash jumper

Remove this Banner Ad

The away jumpers are differentiated now by the purple stripe with the Nyoongar pattern in it, it’s not a direct reversal of the purple jumper as a few people have said. Just an observation, not really a comment on my hunch we should wear. Having said that, purple is my favourite colour, not white. 🤷🏻‍♀️

It boils down to Money, money, money. Selling more merchandise.
If it was only about money then every team would have 3 or more jumpers each minimum (home,away,clash,preseason etc.)

I think a ‘modernised’ version of our original away uniform would look good as a third strip, only to be used for away games where our white uniform doesn’t provide sufficient contrast (ie Geelong).

Something like:
  • green jumper with white chevrons.
  • white shorts.
  • green socks with purple and white tops.
I whipped up something vaguely similar to this after last years retro round ….
FF4BDC7E-DA71-438C-B3CA-A0BAC2035B70.png

Maybe it's because I grew up in England following soccer, but I find this whole debate about clash strips and white shorts in the AFL is utterly bizarre - perhaps the single biggest thing about the AFL that even after nine years I still can't grasp the rationale or logic for the counter argument. That Collingwood is given a platform to argue against Port wearing their prison bar uniform is one of the most pathetic things I've ever heard of in the world of sport.

My simple view is that the argument distills down to:

Reasons for having a defined clash strip:
  • players can easily distinguish each other on the field of play
  • spectators (live and on TV) can easily distinguish each other
  • clubs can raise additional revenue from merchandise

Reasons for not having a defined clash strip:
  • tradition
  • I'm out

My soccer team's colours are blue and white. Our nickname has in the past been 'The Blues', but our last ten clash strips have been:

2022 - Red and black stripes
2021 - White
2020 - Pale blue
2019 - Burgundy and Navy stripes
2018 - Orange
2017 - Red
2016 - White
2015 - Burgundy and Navy stripes
2014 - Orange
2013 - Red

We've have also had cream and black stripes, green with red sleeves, black, and yellow clash strips in my living memory.

I own at least six replica kits of all sort of colours. Not once have I thought it reprehensible that these clash strips have no blue in them - and in fact when a new strip is launched every year it's the clash strip I'm most excited to see.
I’m the biggest complainer about clashes in the AFL but I’ve always hated how soccer teams have kits that look nothing like their colours, I’m ok with white being sort of a “universal” colour for clash jumpers

If it was only about money then every team would have 3 or more jumpers each minimum (home,away,clash,preseason etc.)

I whipped up something vaguely similar to this after last years retro round ….
View attachment 1452323
This is great. Wear it with green shorts if we're away and playing a team like Geelong when they aren't in white shorts. I really dislike the Purple / white mismatch when they do it.

This is great. Wear it with green shorts if we're away and playing a team like Geelong when they aren't in white shorts. I really dislike the Purple / white mismatch when they do it.

Green is not a great colour to be using if you are playing/watching in a field of green grass.

I can remember the olde days, and it was difficult to spot individual players out on their own away from the opposition.

I can imagine the players also would have difficulty if picking up players out the corner of their eyes.

I hope green as a dominant colour never comes back.

I hated the green jumper as a kid but didn't actually mind at all it when we used it last year. Would be fine maybe once a year but I think I'd get sick of it and dislike it again if we wore it regularly.

Did anyone recall for some strange reason we wore our home jumper with white shorts away against Hawthorn at Waverely in a surprise win? I remember being excited at the time thinking the green was gone only for it to come back like usual next away game.

I grew up watching the era 15 years after this and never had any problems distinguishing Geelong and Collingwood (nor did I have problems with this set of highlights).

I think the clash issue is overblown. Maybe it matters more these days because they wear acrylic guernseys instead of woollen, and a glossy guernsey clashes more than a matte one. IMO bring back woollen guernseys

I’m the biggest complainer about clashes in the AFL but I’ve always hated how soccer teams have kits that look nothing like their colours, I’m ok with white being sort of a “universal” colour for clash jumpers
Each to their own. But when my soccer team launched their new kit a couple of months ago I immediately ordered a replica of the clash strip (which in part was because the blue strip this year is an abomination).

2223_home_shirt_adult_8.jpg
vs
2223_away_shirt_adult_8.jpg

I did love our home strip 5-6 years ago - both my teams rocking the chevrons.

Ipswich-Home-Kit-2016-17.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back