Roast Our Away Home Game

Remove this Banner Ad

I can post this while we're ahead so that it doesn't look like a big whinge... actually it's not that big a roast, I just haven't used the roast tag before. :D

Seriously though, if we're going to be forced to play home games away from our home ground, particularly at Etihad against teams who genuniely call it "home" like the Bulldogs, wouldn't we be better off playing at a neutral venue interstate where the club could get some ca$h from the local government? Melbourne were pretty well compensated for playing a home game at Marrara (sp?) IIRC.

Is this just another case of Collingwood propping up the league, where a certain number of games have to be played at Etihad, despite the fact that it's a crappy surface, can't hold enough spectators, and the stadium deals Etihad have with AFL clubs absolutely suck in terms of remuneration?

Eddie was up in the rafters ripping down Bulldogs banners :D

It's because we are contracted to play there Sampler, we can't just sell a game elsewhere.

However, if we're going to play home games there to prop up the AFL, I'd much prefer they were against an interstate mob, or someone like North.

I reckon our biggest disadvantage playing the dogs there , is the fact that the Dome suits their game style.
If we can't have 15 MCG games , then I wouldn't be against us looking for opportunities. Same with the Saints at the Dome.

We simply should only play interstate teams at that shitty little ground.

Just look at the crowd tonight, just over 40k, where you would have had 60k + at the MCG.

Hopefully that's our last ever home game against a Victorian team there.

I much prefer watching footy at Etihad to the 'G. Better view, better conditions (i.e. roof), closer to the train station and in the CBD. However, I hate the fact that we play the Dogs there. Definitely should be interstate teams only.

It's because we are contracted to play there Sampler, we can't just sell a game elsewhere.

However, if we're going to play home games there to prop up the AFL, I'd much prefer they were against an interstate mob, or someone like North.
We're contracted, or the AFL has a contract with Etihad to play a certain number of games there?

I mean, I figured it was something along those lines, just trying to ascertain the details.

We're contracted, or the AFL has a contract with Etihad to play a certain number of games there?

I mean, I figured it was something along those lines, just trying to ascertain the details.

WE HAVE NO CONTRACT WITH ETIHAD/DOCKLANDS MANAGEMENT.

The AFL have the contract, we only have a contract agreement with the MCG regarding games played there, and even that agreement is in conjunction with the AFL.

The AFL tells us where we play, simple as that, but we gained some control by making a deal with the MCG to ensure we played at least 14 games there a year.

My concern is if the season goes longer once 18 teams are in, does that mean 14 games at the G, and as many as 6 at Etihad.:confused:

It is crap that we play either the Bulldogs or the Saints at Etihad when it's our home game.

I think I read somewhere that we agreed to play 2 home games a year at Etihad, but why does it have to be against an Etihad tenant?

Is it because the AFL want to guarantee Etihad get some "blockbusters"?

Don't need Collingwood for blockbusters at Etihad. Heck, even Melbourne can fill a stadium of 50,000 on its given day.

I really hope Eddie pushes this for next year.

The AFL tells us where we play, simple as that, but we gained some control by making a deal with the MCG to ensure we played at least 14 games there a year.
I get that we have to play where the AFL tells us, but there has to be a limit to it. If it's our home game and we're scheduled to play Geelong at Skilled Stadium, we'd be saying "WTF?!" and rightly so. Etihad Stadium isn't our home ground, and it's to be our home game we should have some say in both where we play and who we play there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get that we have to play where the AFL tells us, but there has to be a limit to it. If it's our home game and we're scheduled to play Geelong at Skilled Stadium, we'd be saying "WTF?!" and rightly so. Etihad Stadium isn't our home ground, and it's to be our home game we should have some say in both where we play and who we play there.

Ah... finally someone else who holds the same belief! I'm with you and it would be great if the club could make a stand on this point.

Frankly, it is my belief that we have no home ground advantage from a playing perspective by playing a "home" game at a ground which we only play at four times a season. The MCG is where we have a home ground advantage and the MCG is where we should play all of our home games. End of story.

I much prefer watching footy at Etihad to the 'G. Better view, better conditions (i.e. roof), closer to the train station and in the CBD. However, I hate the fact that we play the Dogs there. Definitely should be interstate teams only.

Eww no.

I'm happy to be corrected on this but i think the deal with us playing home games there is.

Etihad has a contract with the AFL to play at least one or two finals there and to get them out of it the AFL did a deal to has us play more games there. Then i think we got something in return from the AFL like more games at the G if thats possible.

Or it has to do with the G giving up a prelim for more games during the year and games taken away from Eithad so we have to play there to make up for it.

I'm pretty sure it's something like that but like i said happy to be corrected.

I'm happy to be corrected on this but i think the deal with us playing home games there is.

Etihad has a contract with the AFL to play at least one or two finals there and to get them out of it the AFL did a deal to has us play more games there. Then i think we got something in return from the AFL like more games at the G if thats possible.

Or it has to do with the G giving up a prelim for more games during the year and games taken away from Eithad so we have to play there to make up for it.

I'm pretty sure it's something like that but like i said happy to be corrected.

So we are the AFL's continual pawn in negotiations?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back