Analysis Our Back 6

Remove this Banner Ad

OhhDeledio

Premiership Player
Jul 30, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Im as flat as anyone right now but in a way im excited to see how whole the whole team responds to it, mainly our backline. Guys like Rance are irreplaceable and he IS the most important player in our team. Him gone leaves a huge hole in defence for us but also opens an opportunity for others to step up. You watch Grimes will go to another level and make All Australian this year, Vlas would be a chance to. I think Astbury will take over as that main general but all 3 of those guys are capable of doing it. Garthwaite will come in and get alot of games this year which im not sure would have happened if Rance was still in the team. Broad, Houli, Short will just keep doing what they do. Houli looks back to his best and Broad has looked real good so far this year.

I know the whole team will lift for Rance but im keen to see how our backs go for the rest of the season. They have a huge task ahead of them but they'll get it done. They are a strong unit back there

llllllllll.jpg

My thoughts regarding our back 6 for next week.

I don't think Richmond will rush Garthwaite into the team against Collingwood next week, its the classic Hardwick move.

I honestly believe he was going to drop Balta next week and felt by the end of the game we might have been too top heavy last night.

I think Hardwick will play Balta down back supporting Astbury, Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin & Short/Houli and will use the extra spot to bring in a mid.

It won't be our long term fix IMO just next week's fix because we are playing the Pies. The media will think its how we will roll and if we lose to the Pies they will go on about our back 6 struggling this year without Rance.

We will bring Garthwaite in against GWS / Port Adelaide IMO if Balta struggles to make any impact against the Pies.

My thoughts regarding our back 6 for next week.

I don't think Richmond will rush Garthwaite into the team against Collingwood next week, its the classic Hardwick move.

I honestly believe he was going to drop Balta next week and felt by the end of the game we might have been too top heavy last night.

I think Hardwick will play Balta down back supporting Astbury, Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin & Short/Houli and will use the extra spot to bring in a mid.

It won't be our long term fix IMO just next week's fix because we are playing the Pies. The media will think its how we will roll and if we lose to the Pies they will go on about our back 6 struggling this year without Rance.

We will bring Garthwaite in against GWS / Port Adelaide IMO if Balta struggles to make any impact against the Pies.

You groom and develop players for a reason - to play AFL and step up at moments like these. I tend to agree that Garthwaite is the logical replacement, however, he is still getting match conditoned after a pre-season disrupted by an achilles injury. I think we'll use him from around Easter onwards. We could bring in a running defender for Rance - Menadue, Markov and Ellis were emergencies last night - but I think for Pies and Port in R4 we might use Soldo as the support ruck for Nank and ask Balta to purely play as a key defender - Soldo's 205cm could be handy for dealing with Cox. Against GWS we may go with Nank alone and bring in a mid. Then it's Garthwaite from that point forward.

The pies this week wont be a good look at how our backline could work. they only have cox as a tall forward with a lot of medium or smalls, so we dont actually need to replace rance with a similar type or size of player. the real test will be against teams with a very mobile chf who would outrun astbury (eg franklin) or multiple talls.

Garthwaite was moving well in the VFL practice match yesterday. I didn't stay until the end, but if he played four quarters, I don't see why we wouldn't bring him straight in. His got all the tools, and just needs games. Great opportunity with that strong structure around him.

Not sure if Balta is suited to the job of a KPD. He got lost more than once last season in the VFL, playing back. You'd be watching the play and then suddenly there's an opposition tall forward on their own and Balta's 50 metres away. Just concentration lapses, I guess.

It’s interesting
Pre season I had

Short Garth grimes
Vlastuin astbury rance
As my backline

Garth plays like talia pure shutdown
Was thinking it would free rance up
Changes of course now
When Garth is ready he’ll come in

So moving forward
It’ll be

Short Garth grimes
Vlastuin astbury Houli
Broad the 7th floater who plays tall/small

Look at the positives it’s actually a chance for astbury and grimes to move out of the shadows. Great teams put systems in place and if we are we will see that. Not straight away but within 6 weeks I’d say!
Not all doom and gloom tiges

Our backline has been the best in the Comp for a number of years and don’t for a second think it’s a one man show!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Broad is the key for mine. If we want a settled backline.

1 of Garthwaite or Balta should play.

But can Broad play a bit Taller? If he can it lets Grimes to keep the role he plays so well. If not then Grimes role changes and our Backline will suffer from it.

Keep Vlas, Houli and Short in the roles they do.

I am backing Broad in to take more responsibility.

Anyone have up-to-date stats for Garthwaite?
RFC.com has him at 192cm and 91kgs.

He would appear to be next inline, but I can't help but think it leaves us a little undersized..?

Already got Pickett, caddy, Edwards. Lambert. Etc. That can play on a wing
Well we don't play Lambert wing, HF mid. Caddy will have lost 4 weeks so may not be an automatic, or given the short turn around in games might have a week in and out. Edwards is miles away, literally and no guarantee of coming back any time soon. Pickett looks good on the wing.

Well we don't play Lambert wing, HF mid. Caddy will have lost 4 weeks so may not be an automatic, or given the short turn around in games might have a week in and out. Edwards is miles away, literally and no guarantee of coming back any time soon. Pickett looks good on the wing.

I was thinking if the best team ever becomes available.

Caddy and Pickett both look good on the wing.

I think lambert. Edwards. George. Have played some time there so are options?

Chol being able to hold down a fwd spot , creates more options

I was thinking if the best team ever becomes available.

Caddy and Pickett both look good on the wing.

I think lambert. Edwards. George. Have played some time there so are options?

Chol being able to hold down a fwd spot , creates more options
Won't be easy getting a spot and keeping it that is for sure. Not a bad problem to have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back