Analysis Our Back 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Houli is done

Only reason you play him is because he’s experienced, his output will be no different to egg or any other fringe player in team atm

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Are you taking the piss? Dusty has 2 of Houlis norm smith’s! Obviously doesn’t mean much to you!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Im as flat as anyone right now but in a way im excited to see how whole the whole team responds to it, mainly our backline. Guys like Rance are irreplaceable and he IS the most important player in our team. Him gone leaves a huge hole in defence for us but also opens an opportunity for others to step up. You watch Grimes will go to another level and make All Australian this year, Vlas would be a chance to. I think Astbury will take over as that main general but all 3 of those guys are capable of doing it. Garthwaite will come in and get alot of games this year which im not sure would have happened if Rance was still in the team. Broad, Houli, Short will just keep doing what they do. Houli looks back to his best and Broad has looked real good so far this year.

I know the whole team will lift for Rance but im keen to see how our backs go for the rest of the season. They have a huge task ahead of them but they'll get it done. They are a strong unit back there

View attachment 639250

R5 Demons MCG Win 79-52
R6 Swans Gabba Win 34-26
R7 Kangaroos Metricon Win 77-23
R8 Giants GIANTS Loss 50-62
R9 Bulldogs Metricon Win 90-49
R10 Lions Metricon Win 82-41
R11 Power Adelaide Loss 72-93
R12 Suns Gabba Win 53-32

Not conceding many goals

R5 Demons MCG Win 79-52
R6 Swans Gabba Win 34-26
R12 Suns Gabba Win 53-32

Not conceding many goals

I thought our defence was the best it has been for a good while especially since Rance

The idea of Baker to the forward line seems popular.
I'd rather Markov going forward. We are so desperate for a mid sized forward who will lead at the ball. We are out numbered every week very time we bomb it deep, Hardwick says it every week. No defensive player would keep up with Markov on the lead. Good spring, reasonable hands and a good set shot and he could apply defensive pressure as good as any of the small forwards. Having said that he's playing very well at half back.
Maybe swap with Stack, who looks lost on the forward line.

I'd rather Markov going forward. We are so desperate for a mid sized forward who will lead at the ball. We are out numbered every week very time we bomb it deep, Hardwick says it every week. No defensive player would keep up with Markov on the lead. Good spring, reasonable hands and a good set shot and he could apply defensive pressure as good as any of the small forwards. Having said that he's playing very well at half back.

With the return o houli and potentially Broad. Astbury.
.Markov forward could work.

He's offer move defensive pressure than caddy I think(?)

Were 18th for conceding scores per inside 50 for the last few weeks.

Needs to be fixed or were just making up the numbers
I just see it as a side effect of our effective repeat I50's and the oppo flooding, so that when they do eventually break out of the repeat cycle, their end of the field is significantly more open which allows much easier marking/converting in our D50.

Also it's a symptom of statistics... the less I50's you get for the same score is reflective of this.

I just see it as a side effect of our effective repeat I50's and the oppo flooding, so that when they do eventually break out of the repeat cycle, their end of the field is significantly more open which allows much easier marking/converting in our D50.

Also it's a symptom of statistics... the less I50's you get for the same score is reflective of this.

yeah, I think its a bit early to overreact.

We have a few players out and its a shortened game meaning bigger peaks and troughs on smaller sample size.

Very much a case by case situation

R5 Demons MCG Win 79-52
R6 Swans Gabba Win 34-26
R12 Suns Gabba Win 53-32

Not conceding many goals
We are one of the easiest teams to score against once the ball goes into our D50. ******* Essendon, with one of the worst forward lines in the comp, kicked 10 goals from 12 entries. How many goals has Jayden Short saved? Zero? Is it zero? Ever? Let Balta be the designated kicker and bring back Broad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you taking the piss? Dusty has 2 of Houlis norm smith’s! Obviously doesn’t mean much to you!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I can't believe these Houli doubters still exist. So many years of being calling for to be dropped every week. And apparently some still haven't been convinced lmao

I'm going the early crow but I feel we now have the strongest backline we have had in the modern era - even without Rance.

Balta is turning into a jet. Some of the little things he did today was extraordinary. Little taps, blocks, handballs and massive kicks and he's only going to get better.
Astbury slotted straight back into the side taking the monster forward. Now, if a forward does get hold of him though (ie Cox, Dixon etc) we have Balta as a backup option. We have not had that since Rance was in the side with Astbury.
Grimes can now be the floating defender or take the oppositions most damaging small forward (Cameron, Gray, etc). It will be a third man up that will cut apart opposition forwardlines.
Vlaustin is a sensational intercept mark, wonderful kick and doesn't take a step back. He would our second best backman imho after Grimes.
Baker is so clean and courageous. Tough and uncompromising, Baker decision making makes him a excellent small backman. He is also excellent are moving it out of defense.
Houli & Short are two of the best rebound half backmen in the league. Both are quick. Both are exquisite kicks.

Depth
Broad would be in every other backline in the league but we just have players ahead of him atm. Balta is just a bit taller, stronger, quicker and with a better kick.
Garthwaite is still young. He is a strong shutdown defender but just lacks a little bit of polish with his disposal and size against the bigger forwards atm

Together, we now have the best backline in the league, playing the best system. Leppa has trained each on how to move forwards under the ball, work off opponents to help each other, to position and guard players and space. He is a huge reason our backline is what it is.

Add to this, the support they receive from our whole teams defense up the ground and we now have an extraordinary defense and imho, the best defense we have had in decades.

I'm going the early crow but I feel we now have the strongest backline we have had in the modern era - even without Rance.

Balta is turning into a jet. Some of the little things he did today was extraordinary. Little taps, blocks, handballs and massive kicks and he's only going to get better.
Astbury slotted straight back into the side taking the monster forward. Now, if a forward does get hold of him though (ie Cox, Dixon etc) we have Balta as a backup option. We have not had that since Rance was in the side with Astbury.
Grimes can now be the floating defender or take the oppositions most damaging small forward (Cameron, Gray, etc). It will be a third man up that will cut apart opposition forwardlines.
Vlaustin is a sensational intercept mark, wonderful kick and doesn't take a step back. He would our second best backman imho after Grimes.
Baker is so clean and courageous. Tough and uncompromising, Baker decision making makes him a excellent small backman. He is also excellent are moving it out of defense.
Houli & Short are two of the best rebound half backmen in the league. Both are quick. Both are exquisite kicks.

Depth
Broad would be in every other backline in the league but we just have players ahead of him atm. Balta is just a bit taller, stronger, quicker and with a better kick.
Garthwaite is still young. He is a strong shutdown defender but just lacks a little bit of polish with his disposal and size against the bigger forwards atm

Together, we now have the best backline in the league, playing the best system. Leppa has trained each on how to move forwards under the ball, work off opponents to help each other, to position and guard players and space. He is a huge reason our backline is what it is.

Add to this, the support they receive from our whole teams defense up the ground and we now have an extraordinary defense and imho, the best defense we have had in decades.

Markov is quality back up too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back