Analysis Our backline structure in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

This is my preferred option also....so well done! Not sure of your small forward match up. Gardiner could be handy. Absolutely agree on Hanley and Rich. Neither are natural defenders,and both are unsure overhead,particularly Hanley. Both better value downfield as you say. Leppa's positioning at the end of the year,indicates you are on the same page. I think McStay however, will come into calculations ,depending on what might be happening in the forward half. I think he is better placed in the back half...his original position. Merrett may be the one to battle to hold on.

Mcstay I think needs to be played forward this year, 3rd tall behind Walker and Freeman. Id like to see a big preseason, where he really improves his running. Playing as a link man where he can float around a bit. One of his real strengths was when he got a free run at the ball, playing a more mobile role, should give him better marking opportunities.

Behind next year, i think his preformance and team needs will be reassessed. Long term id prefer to see him as a defender, that can swing forward if needed. Could potentially be a great replacement for Merrett, if that back 6 i named works.

We will have a few options in our forward line in the future to go with Freeman and Walker, potentially with Schache and Hipwood join us this year, Allison next year (only need to grow a few cm to be considered KP size) and Ballendan in the 2017 academy crop. We may not have such a need as this coming year, and can play him in his more natural position.

Gardiner Merrett Andrews
Dawson Clarke Cutler
+Paparone
Best combo I can come up with at this stage. Harwood and Beams will both push for selection, but I feel like Dawson and Cutler are already of a similar standard and have higher ceilings.
For me, Harwood has a few nice attributes, but just doesn't have the vision/awareness to see dangerous situations developing. He gets surprised too often, and 'surprised back pocket' is not a good role for us.

But yeah, Sparra McGrath is raw but is also quick, can tackle ok for his size and seems to have good concentration. I'd like to see him get a shot at that small lock down defender.
I'm not a big fan of picking a lockdown small defender. Unless you've got a player you can always rely on to do the job (eg. Nick Smith), it's a waste of a player. You need players who can play taller (the versatility of a Stratton/Gardiner type for example) or offer something with ball in hand.

Offtopic but Farren Ray would add the extra mid we need on the outside
even in the NEAFL

Back on topic...there should be some great fight for spots in the back six this offseason, the type of battles for spots we haven't had for far too long. In addition, the back six in the reserves should be more than handy too which will help keep the pressure on players too perform.

Feel a hardnut like Harwood will be in there.

Harwood Merrett Gardiner
Dawson Clarke Cutler

I'm really trying to fit Andrews somewhere in. But I like the look of that defensive group. Think Andrews probably replaces Gardiner.

That looks pretty good to me, but I'd be really surprised if Andrews didn't start most or all games for which he's available. He is probably flexible enough (as is Dawson) that you could start either off the interchange and run them forward or use Andrews as a chop out ruck every now and then. That would allow us to tinker between a more offensive setup like you've set up above (Dawson, Harwood and Cutler all good users and/or runners), and a more defensive setup with Andrews in there for his marking.

A two year contract extension for Harwood after a year wiped out through injury shows Leppa's faith in his ability.

He is a lock for defence off half-back, he is about to enter the prime of his career and if he stays fit, could elevate himself like Pearce Hanley did when he hit his straps off half-back.

Looking at the different positions we seem to use with our press style game plan, the following players make up the back line IMO:

Position Backs: Merrett, Clarke, Gardiner, Beasley, Paine
Floating Backs: Andrews, Paparone, Hipwood, Watts, McGuinness
Running Backs: Harwood, Cutler, C.Beams, McGrath, C.Hanley

Purely my prediction of the squad we will work with next year. Paine was trialed in defence over the past few years and yielded solid results before injury took over. His last chance as a Rookie would be to prove himself in this area, our forward stocks are aplenty.

Our best 22 always features seven defenders with two position backs, two floating backs and three running backs (one starts on the bench). IMO this gives us the following set up for next year:

Andrews Merrett Paparone (McStay instead of Paps if Leppa plays him down back)
Harwood Clarke Cutler (C.Beams coming off the bench)

Players to the likes of Mayes, Rich, Bewick, Dawson, Hanley will have minutes through the backline but are very likely to be pushing for midfield selection based on how they fared last year.

Paparone's spot may be threatened by McStay if Leppa chooses to throw him down back again. I think McStay will start up forward if he has the freedom to run up the ground, as our fit KPF stocks anchor the fwd 50.

I have too much time on my hands for this sh*t...

We seem to be putting a lot of faith in the likes of C.Beams, Harwood, Cutler, McGrath etc to lock down a spot in the back half... the reality is that they have either been injury prone, or have not shown enough consistently to be 'locks'.

You could say the same for every player on our list then haha.

We seem to be putting a lot of faith in the likes of C.Beams, Harwood, Cutler, McGrath etc to lock down a spot in the back half... the reality is that they have either been injury prone, or have not shown enough consistently to be 'locks'.
You think Cutler hasn't shown enough....? star in the making IMO, that bloke is seriously exciting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A two year contract extension for Harwood after a year wiped out through injury shows Leppa's faith in his ability.

I find this an interesting one. Before the contract extension, I would have said that Harwood was a bit on the outer with Leppa. In 2014, it took Leppa a fair while before he installed Harwood as a regular in the best 22. And last season, while Harwood was obviously injury affected, I had the impression that Leppa saw others as being preferred in the best team.

I was surprised (but pleased) to see Harwood get a decent contract extension. But I don't know if that means he is a lock in the best 22. I suspect he is a guy that Leppa wants a lot more out of. Harwood is currently in my best side but it is very marginal - I reckon that's pretty much where he stands - on the edge of senior selection. That's a good type of player to have around a young squad, when you want depth, but it doesn't necessarily equate to being in the best 22.

I see those 3-4 medium-small defensive roles as being a complete lottery at this point. Even leaving aside the possibility of a midfielder playing back, there are several guys in competition who have legitimate claims. And I don't think that you could really argue that any single one has their nose in front at this point. It will be an interesting pre-season.

I agree. Harwood and Beams have been out with injury for such a long time not to mention our list and best 22 has changed considerably in that time, so I won't be making any predictions that those two would be locks anytime soon nor would they even be locks to play in defence. Harwood can show he can run through the middle, plus Beams is dangerous up forward. We all know Leppa loves to move players around and our list is in such a state of flux at present, with almost our entire crop of players demonstrating a variety of skills at multiple positions, that it's really hard to see when the dust settles what exactly our legitimate absolute best 22 squad will look like week in and week out. It's a nice predicament to be in!

Watching all the games and reading many posts over the last year, Leppitsch is really on to something. He tries to make players more versatile allowing them to excel in more than one position. Man i dont care what anyone says but the man is a genius and leading us in the right direction. He has faith in our players, lets just hope they have faith in him.

Watching all the games and reading many posts over the last year, Leppitsch is really on to something. He tries to make players more versatile allowing them to excel in more than one position. Man i dont care what anyone says but the man is a genius and leading us in the right direction. He has faith in our players, lets just hope they have faith in him.
Im one of a few who agrees... maybe not a genius but I agree none-the-less. No idea why but I feel as is he brings a bit of edge to our club.

Watching all the games and reading many posts over the last year, Leppitsch is really on to something. He tries to make players more versatile allowing them to excel in more than one position. Man i dont care what anyone says but the man is a genius and leading us in the right direction. He has faith in our players, lets just hope they have faith in him.[/QUOTE]
And thats the problem. If we continue to keep losing the majority of games, then the players will start wondering and looking at a diferent team.

Feel a hardnut like Harwood will be in there.

Harwood Merrett Gardiner
Dawson Clarke Cutler

I'm really trying to fit Andrews somewhere in. But I like the look of that defensive group. Think Andrews probably replaces Gardiner.

I think Andrews would be one of the first backs picked now. Had an exceptional first season and will only get better

I'm just praying he continues getting better and doesn't suffer 2nd year blues
He will to a degree as other teams will put work into him, but unless he stops being able to take marks can't see his style player having too much of a lull... hopefully anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back