Our backline talls

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Madgen was available in the Mid Season draft, might have been worth a look as he was serviceable for Collingwood.

I feel like they have tried to address it. Have brought in a heap of players in the past few seasons, has had varying success. Not sure there has been any big fish we've missed out on, there were rumours we were after Darcy Moore a few seasons back but that was always unlikely, probably just leaked by his camp to get another 0 on his contract. Think we were linked to Lever too.

2017 - Trengove (free agent), Naughton (draft)
2018 - Gardner (mid season draft)
2019 - Keath (trade)
2020 - none
2021 - O'Brien (free agent), Darcy* (draft)
2022 - Jones (free agent) Busslinger (draft) O'Donnell (cat B rookie)

It has been a worrying season for that group.

Jones has been incredible and thank god he has. Keath has been very good for us but had a poor 2022 and was hoping he would bounce back this season. Hasn't happened yet but I still hold some hope he can get near his best. Never been a big Gardner guy, will probably never trust him. I thought he finished last year solidly but hasn't been close to that recently. Was optimistic thinking O'Brien would somehow turn into a player after around 10 seasons into the system. Bruce the defender doesn't look like the answer

I'm going to be a wet blanket.

I know he is super young and has only played a few VFL games but he looks to be an intercept defender at best. He hasn't shown an ability to defend 1v1.
Which is totally fine to be a good intercept defender theres plenty of those around the AFL and theyre extremely valuable. I hope hes a good one.

Our problem for years has been finding anyone who can hold up to a light breeze in a one on one contest since Dale retired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beveridge would rather fill list spots with small guys who can't kick. And if we absolutely need a defender, he will prioritize Footscray above all else.

Naughton won’t be moved back now. It’ll look like a panic move and he wouldn’t wanna show panic to a player.

Too many VFL standard players on the list full stop.
Other than Jones and Keath, none of the others are good enough as defensive talks.

Naughton won’t be moved back now. It’ll look like a panic move and he wouldn’t wanna show panic to a player.
Would hope that is not the case.

He is still young enough to develop into our version of a Darcy Moore. Depends if we will ever recognise he is an extremely talented player being played out of position who looked ok there purely on talent

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably worth putting our hat in the McKay FA competition.

No one else is out of contract that is good…. OR we need to poach a good one with a big contract offer and then trade our two first round picks for them.

Or maybe it won’t happen because of been stubborn

If you try tell us Lobb may play on a wing it’s not a far stretch to play Naughton back when he was recruited as a back

It’s pretty sad we’ve resorted to playing a couple of 32 year olds that are clearly passed it.

Keath was okay last night. He stays in as 2nd KPD for now. The structure was absolutely horrific by playing 3KPD and another additional tall. There’s a few guys playing VFL that would be very disheartened with the generosity of O’Donnell’s continued selection.

1KPD - Jones
2KPD - Keath
3rd - Busslinger/Khamis/Cleary/Crozier

I'm not sure we should be playing with the 3 tall backs. Especially if 2 of the 3 are borderline AFL standard.

Feel like a mid sized athletic 3rd 'tall' defender would be a better option for the side. Someone like Crozier, Cleary or Khamis.
I’d try Cleary & Crozier for Bruce & O’Donnell. No genuine third tall but both can easily play above their height and more importantly, both can actually dispose of the footy correctly.

We need more medium sized versatile defenders. Last night we had 4 shaky talls and 3 smaller types.

Jack Madgen was available in the Mid Season draft, might have been worth a look as he was serviceable for Collingwood.
And there is a reason he doesn’t play for Collingwood anymore. Delisted. That’s why Collingwood are always up, they are ruthless with list management (outside of that year when Eddie McGuires interventions caused them to overpay some players and had to trade out Treloar and Grundy).

Sick of us grabbing every other teams rejects.

Which do you prefer?
Option A:
FB. Doc Jones Keath
HB. Dale Bruce VDM
INT. O'Donnell

Option B
FB. Doc Keath Jones
HB. Dale Naughton Cleary
INT. VDM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back