Analysis Our Backline

Remove this Banner Ad

We had a thread about our forwardline for years now its time for a backline thread.

Its full of spuds that can't take a mark or position effectively.

We have neglected it for a long time.

Hartley, Dea, Brown are C+ at best on a good day.

Ambrose is a good stopper but thats about it.

Hurley isnt reliable at present.

Saad is solid.

McKenna is more rebounder than defender.

Baguley is old but at least he tries.

We have high hopes for Ridley and Francis but so far they are non entities.

Gleeson is our best mark in defence but injured.

I probably forgot someone

Its not a premiership capable defence.

Rubbish. Last week midfield defence and structure was good and did not allow as much express footy through the middle. This week no middle pressure, left our blokes exposed.
It was not just the defence droppong marks. Spud Daniher could not catch a cold at the moment. Heppel droped about 4 he would take every other week.

Rubbish. Last week midfield defence and structure was good and did not allow as much express footy through the middle. This week no middle pressure, left our blokes exposed.
It was not just the defence droppong marks. Spud Daniher could not catch a cold at the moment. Heppel droped about 4 he would take every other week.
Basically this.

Christ this board melts as hard as Norf's at one bad game.

Basically this.

Christ this board melts as hard as Norf's at one bad game.
The nature of the game was, disappointingly, not a surprise

We struggle when we shouldn't and seem to go out of our way to do so in an embarrassing fashion

If it was the first time it had happened you'd swallow it and move on. But its been the same bitter pill for years now.

It wasn't the end of the world or our season shot, but losses like this show how far from a premiership we are. And teams behind us are coming fast
More of this and carlton will be ahead of us

The nature of the game was, disappointingly, not a surprise

We struggle when we shouldn't and seem to go out of our way to do so in an embarrassing fashion

If it was the first time it had happened you'd swallow it and move on. But its been the same bitter pill for years now.

It wasn't the end of the world or our season shot, but losses like this show how far from a premiership we are. And teams behind us are coming fast
More of this and carlton will be ahead of us
And as I've said previously, most premiership teams lose to s**t teams that season. Richmond lost to Freo last year ffs.

Why do people constantly attach AA to Hooker like it actually has some importance in 2018?

Why do people constantly attach AA to Hooker like it actually has some importance in 2018?
It is kind of relevant when discussing his capabilities but yeah, that AA was a while ago and at the other end of the ground to the one he is playing on now.

And he's constantly referred to as an "okay" forward too. I'd take 6 "okay" forwards that were like him.

Hurley has been padding his stats the past two weeks. I am really not a massive fan of his "loose man in defence" role. I love Hurley, but he could be more productive if he had a role more conducive to team defence .

He isn't too accountable for his man a lot of the time and it hurts us a bit with our current back structure - especially with Marty out.

Hartley cops a lot of flack, but I think he does as well as he could given his skillset and body type.

I'd move Hooker down back again, but as a Club we seem to really pander to where players think they should play - not where they can play, e.g. Hooker forward, Langford mid, Stringer mid etc .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This times 100. But most here think he is s**t.

Ahh, the classic injured Essendon player that gets better when they aren't playing. Gleeson is still struggling with AFL level football due to his lack of size.

Still a lot of work to do to get there but at the moment he's our best option of that allrounder in the back half that can intercept, mark and provide some drive which is a little sad.

Hopefully he's eating and lifting while his leg recovers.

Ahh, the classic injured Essendon player that gets better when they aren't playing. Gleeson is still struggling with AFL level football due to his lack of size.

Still a lot of work to do to get there but at the moment he's our best option of that allrounder in the back half that can intercept, mark and provide some drive which is a little sad.

Or maybe he is actually a very good backman and has been for the last 12 months.

What a load of rubbish, was practically consensus that he came of age last year.

Hurley has been padding his stats the past two weeks. I am really not a massive fan of his "loose man in defence" role. I love Hurley, but he could be more productive if he had a role more conducive to team defence .

He isn't too accountable for his man a lot of the time and it hurts us a bit with our current back structure - especially with Marty out.

Hartley cops a lot of flack, but I think he does as well as he could given his skillset and body type.

I'd move Hooker down back again, but as a Club we seem to really pander to where players think they should play - not where they can play, e.g. Hooker forward, Langford mid, Stringer mid etc .

Agree with everything but the last paragraph, hence unnecessary post and no like.

We see it all the time with third tall defenders. The numbers become almost irrelevant because they are in place to receive and/or cut off the ball.

To be playing a game worthy of praise defender needs to be pulling down pack marks and/or beating an opponent. Not just doing job.

It's why, over the course of the last 12 months, Hurley hasn't been in Rance's league (or at least shouldn't be).

What a load of rubbish, was practically consensus that he came of age last year.
Seriously. The way we overrate some players on here is ridiculous. Last week Langford had an ok'ish type of game but was seen as the second coming.

Last year Gleeson was dropped early in the season and played about 4 matches in the VFL. He came back and played a handful of decent games in amongst the same old. Nowhere near coming of age yet.

Needs a season where he has double digit good games to be finally considered a bonafide AFL player.

Seriously. The way we overrate some players on here is ridiculous. Last week Langford had an ok'ish type of game but was seen as the second coming.

Last year Gleeson was dropped early in the season and played about 4 matches in the VFL. He came back and played a handful of decent games in amongst the same old. Nowhere near coming of age yet.

Needs a season where he has double digit good games to be finally considered a bonafide AFL player.

Was 18th for intercept positions p.g and about 4th non-key position player in those stats behind the likes of Laird and Shaw. Exactly the role he’s in the side for.

Langford isn’t close to the player Gleeson is.

Gleeson had a very good season last year. Not sure what you're on about.

Hurley needs to become more accountable. His current style makes his statistics look fantastic (and perhaps even guarantees him a spot in he All-Australian side) but I think he found a much better balance in 2015. He's the leader of the backline now that Fletcher is gone and Hooker is up forward and he needs to set an example.

Gleeson had a solid season, certainly an improvement on previous years, but he isn't a star. He's not an untouchable member of our best-22. In an ideal world, someone like Francis would be pushing desperately for his spot in the 22. This is a broader problem for the back-six; there just isn't enough selection pressure. Baguley is no longer up to it; Francis is nowhere near it; Ambrose is limited; while Redman and Ridley still have a long way to go.

The main issue though with our defensive unit is that it needs a midfield that is defensively minded. We don't put enough pressure on through the middle and that makes it difficult for our defenders. Defense is a team-wide effort and I think we genuinely struggle on that front.

How many VFL games did he play?

23 year old 50 gamer playing a month of VFL does not translate to a very good season. Sorry I have higher standards.

Talk to me when we aren't a mediocre side. You can tell me I'm wrong then.
I'm telling you that you're wrong now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back