Toast Our backline

Remove this Banner Ad

The brilliant thing about the backline is if the opposition are at all hesitant in moving the ball forward there is almost never a one on one. We get smothering team defence to most contests. Superb positioning and a demonstration of the evolution of football tactics. And we do it without sacrificing other attacking positions.

And when there is a one on one, these guys can all defend. That's the huge improvement in Bonner' s game and Howard is a revelation.
All under the coaching of Bassett, who I rate very highly.

I've reached a point with DBJ where I have almost absolute confidence he will have some sort of positive influence on the play when he is in the vicinity of the ball: blocking, tackling, competing for it, clearance, precision of delivery to team mates. I am proud to be his 2018 buddy (wipes tear from eye).

Buddy had to engage beast mode and kick a couple of bullshit goals to get 4 on him. Most other defenders would have conceded 8 or 9 in those circumstances.
Wasn't able to watch the game so had it on radio, they said clurey was switched on to him? Did that happen or was it only for a couple of contests

I have no idea how Pittard forces his way back in given Bonner, DBJ, and Hartlett's form. Handy problem to have, though.

Pittard comes in for Houston. Jasper is a better defender than Dan and forces the opposition to think about the possibility of more run and carry.

Last year, Houston was a point of difference because he'd slow the play down and was great at retaining the ball with his kick. But since everyone is doing that in our backline now, he's not as important.

Would we feel as safe about our backline if Jasper was in it ??

He's going to struggle to get in for a while I reckon.

DBJ.... Gun.

Pittard was 1st for kick rating out of defensive 50 last year. Not just at Port, but for the entire league.

I'd feel better if he was in the side, yes.

Pittard comes in for Houston. Jasper is a better defender than Dan and forces the opposition to think about the possibility of more run and carry.

Last year, Houston was a point of difference because he'd slow the play down and was great at retaining the ball with his kick. But since everyone is doing that in our backline now, he's not as important.

Pittard was 1st for kick rating out of defensive 50 last year. Not just at Port, but for the entire league.

I completely forgot about Houston, which isn't necessarily a bad trait in a defender!

Yeah, I don't think Houston has done enough to make himself undroppable at this stage. I'd still expect Pittard to come back through the Magpies though.

DBJ.... Gun.
It's amazing to think that most of these guys are still so young and inexperienced. They will only get better, a scary thought for the opposition and great for our future defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gonna go out a limb and say dbj will make all australian this year. his attack on the ball harder than a cats head mentality ferocity but still has the composure to hit targets. hes taken his game to another level coming off the half back flank playing backmid. racking up disposals and clearences

absoloutly amazing that guys like himself and housto were considered delistings at one point. goes to show not to go the early crow. what else does out list management team have up their sleeves

DBJ.... Gun.

Jasper has to learn a new trade on the wing. He’s too risky in defence these days.

This backline is one I hope to be watching play together for the next 7-8 years. A bunch of 200+ game players dominating the competition, much like the Geelong back 6 did when they had a hardened veteran in every position.
Yep. The best thing about our backline is how good they already are at such a young age. There’s a bright 10 or so years coming up for these guys.

All very good individually. All very good as a unit. It's the best defensive group we've had at AFL level since 2004.

He knows it too. He knows he's in trouble. Very emotional guy - he got very upset after he did his hamstring and he's beginning to doubt himself. Football is a savage industry.

Yeah, I don't think Houston has done enough to make himself undroppable at this stage. I'd still expect Pittard to come back through the Magpies though.

Absolutely.

Pittard needs to get back to 2016 form so he and Bonner can carve up. There's a place for him in the side, but only at his best.

No passengers.

Broadbent has played is last game for the Power IMHO unfortunately.

He is not even able to jog laps during training let alone get through a full session.

I reckon he will retire before the seasons end.

He is not even able to jog laps during training let alone get through a full session.

Are you mentioning something from training recently? Because he's still a over month away from being fit.

How *en hard was that kick from Wingard that knocked him out at training and he fell over on his ankle?

Gotta be the strangest way to end a career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back