Prediction Our best 22 for Round 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Gunston makes leads at the ball carrier. If he plays in the F50 the other forwards may ask him what he is doing and he can explain it to them.
Then he'd better stop - that sh*t won't stand at Hawthorn!

Nah Tommy... they will play Stratton, same for Poppy. This is my best 22 for rd one.
Pre season form, last years form taken into account...
Gunston would be the obvious inclusion here for Greaves or CJ.
I also think Lewis can play in this side but there would be a bench rotation to have one of the big guys on the bench for most of the game until after half time. “Big guys don’t get shorter” and this will suit our game style with a mobile Gunston & O’Brien roaming high CHF running the oppo around.

I’d really like to see Morrison further up the ground delivering to leading forwards because he is one of few guys that has a decent kick 30-40m that isnt too loopy. People are down on him but I see a stark contrast to last season already with the way his positioning around the ground has more a 2018 look. Not to mention his lock down tackle on Friday night.
I think that Greaves can play a role very similar to Hardwick to accomodate this.

Poppy is done for mine and I think we have the capacity to roll the mids through the pocket. Wingard, Worpell, Jaeger and Mitchell could all play 1 out in the forward line as well as apply pressure. Breust, Patton and Nash should be the consistent inside 50m players out side of the tall rotation mentioned before.

I think we are very flexible but carrying Stratton, Poppy will be restricting the progress of others and limit that flexibility.

I think the first 2-3 weeks will show what Poppy has left in the tank. Might be surprising with him not having to be a marking target and gathering crumbs. Good luck to him.

Reckon Stratton had a good back half to 2019 and will carry that into 2020. The front half of 2019 was poor/average as he was trying to do to much, probably due to being captain. A man has to know his limitations.

I think the first 2-3 weeks will show what Poppy has left in the tank. Might be surprising with him not having to be a marking target and gathering crumbs. Good luck to him.

Reckon Stratton had a good back half to 2019 and will carry that into 2020. The front half of 2019 was poor/average as he was trying to do to much, probably due to being captain. A man has to know his limitations.

I guess that’s the fun part isn’t it.
Wait and see...

I thought the second half of last season was excellent. So... Why change the game plan when it clicked. The chaos handball game plan isn't suited to this current list in my opinion. We can handball through the middle when the opposition is caught out of position....

what do you guys think of the cellar experience as ruck? do you think it will last the whole season?
Yes for sure. Cegs would’ve surely got offers to leave to other clubs (GWS, Sydney) and I can’t imagine why he styed if he hadn’t been guaranteed the number on spot this season. In 2016 he played every game I think up until his ACL and he was a real workhorse and more than just handy around the ground. We might have got a bit closer to the flag that year if he hadn’t done his knee. Ceglar’s only real weakness can be his kicking, especially for goal. Smart decision by the club to find a way to keep him. By all reports he’s one of the most popular players at the club, really nice guy.

B Stratton Frawley Scrimshaw
HB Sicily Frost Morrison
C Scully Mitchell Smith
HF Wingard McEvoy Burgoyne
F Bruest Patton Puopolo
R Ceglar Worpel O’Meara
IC: Jiath, Hanrahan, Henderson, Shiels

Looking the worst on Injury front - No Lewis O'Brien or Gunston so no way Poppy misses

If one is OK, Hanhahan misses

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm certainly optimistic but not as bullish as Tom Morris from Fox sports. They think we have a top 4 best 22.

4. HAWTHORN
Alastair Clarkson-coached teams don’t miss finals two years in a row too often. I love Hawthorn’s form line, which saw them win six of their last eight games in 2019 and narrowly miss finals. By the end of the season they were playing like a top four side. They score well from turnovers and will only improve with Tom Mitchell and Jon Patton added to the mix. I’m bullish about the Hawks, really bullish.

B Stratton Frawley Scrimshaw
HB Sicily Frost Morrison
C Scully Mitchell Smith
HF Wingard McEvoy Burgoyne
F Bruest Patton Puopolo
R Ceglar Worpel O’Meara
IC: Jiath, Hanrahan, Henderson, Shiels

Looking the worst on Injury front - No Lewis O'Brien or Gunston so no way Poppy misses

If one is OK, Hanhahan misses

Pretty sure O'Brien plays. While the injury reports certainly aren't specific they mentioned Timmy had an eye scratch that took slightly longer to heal than expected. They took the cautious approach and had him sit out the game vs Melbourne. He was still named as an emergency so I'd expect he's 100% ready to play. Gunners is looking like missing and we've been really cagey on Lewis's injury so I'd assume he'll probably miss too.

B: Stratton Frawley Scrimshaw
HB: Sicily Frost Morrison
C: Scully Worpel Smith
HF: Wingard O'Brien Burgoyne
F: Breust Patton Puopolo
R: McEvoy Mitchell O'Meara
Int: Ceglar Henderson Sheils Hanrahan*

I think with both Lewis & Gunston missing we might return to playing McEvoy as a ruck and have him rest forward - letting our talls be Patton/O'Brien/resting ruck. Weirdly enough I actually think this makes us more balanced in the backline because I thought we looked really sluggish with four tall defenders + a 194cm Scrimshaw.

I also REALLY want Jiath to play because I think he has an incredible ceiling and senior exposure will accelerate his development but I suspect they'll go safe with Morrison (who to be fair had a decent Marsh series).

For mine Poppy is really out of touch but give him round 1 to see. Lewis needs more development and (especially) fitness at Box Hill too. If Clarko insists on BB at CHB then we need some more pace down back.

Frost Frawley Stratton
Sicily BBoy Henderson
Smith Wingard Scully
Ceglar Worpel Mitchell
Bruest O'Brien Gunston
Puopolo Patton Burgoyne
INT: Shiels, O'Meara, Scrimshaw, Morrison

CJ Frawley Stratton
Sicily Hartley Scrimshaw
Scully Mitchell Smith
Gunston O'Brien Bruest
Burgoyne Patton Wingard
Celgar Worpel O'meara
Puopolo Shiels Henderson Day
Emg:Mcevoy Nash Frost

In my opinion O’Brien, Morrison and Hanrahan are the three in danger of losing their spots when the injured players return and when the season resumes.

These are the players who didn’t play on the weekend...

Lewis - 14 games
Impey - 116 games

Nash - 19 games
Glass - 17 games
Scrimshaw - 14 games
Hardwick - 66 games
Howe - 62 games
Hartley - 44 games
Jiath - 2 games
Moore - 7 games
Minchington - 28 games
Cousins - 19 games
Brooksby - 14 games

In my opinion O’Brien, Morrison and Hanrahan are the three in danger of losing their spots when the injured players return and when the season resumes.

These are the players who didn’t play on the weekend...

Lewis - 14 games
Impey - 116 games

Nash - 19 games
Glass - 17 games
Scrimshaw - 14 games
Hardwick - 66 games
Howe - 62 games
Hartley - 44 games
Jiath - 2 games
Moore - 7 games
Minchington - 28 games
Cousins - 19 games
Brooksby - 14 games

Lewis for O’Brien
Impey for Morrison
And it’s time to unleash Dimma forward, you know it makes sense (for Hanrahan)

(Edit, gotta fit Scrimshaw in there somewhere too..)

I think the McEvoy experiment will be modified... Only play there against certain opposition. I actually like it when Big boy drifts up fwd too. Good set shot too. Scrimshaw replaces him down back, who is 193 cm, classy and should be playing as an investment in the future.
Hanrahan is an interesting prospect. Decent effort against Brisbane. Needs to bulk up though so maybe Minchington should be given a fair go. Minch may prove important against the more established sides with his speed, strength and tackling pressure. Unsure on this point...Glad Clarko gets to decide.
I'd like to see Lewis only play when 100% fit.
Really excited to get both Impey and Hardwick back soon. I hope.
McGuiness and Day may also get game time too at some stage.
Interesting days... Just need to overcome virus crisis which may prove a tough one, short term...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back