Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Talk about a foreign legion! 12 out of 22

Ive noted best 22 positions replaced at 50:50 trade and draft since 2010

Looking forward if frawley hendo mcevoy puopolo burgoyne retire over a few years hence, likely ins from draftees might be CJ, morrison, kosi, walker, draft pick 2019, but likely also trade ins 2020 and 2021, or even another henderson type

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Has Howe found a new role as a half back flanker? He was quite good during the last 6 games. With Mitchell back and a couple of players in the reserves who are expected to get some games throughout the year, Howe could move down in the midfield pecking order.

Will Clarkson go with the 2 ruck setup? Ceglar signs for 3 years but at the same time McEvoy is coming off a career best season and is still comfortably the number one ruckman and is showing no signs of slowing down. The knock on Ceglar’s game is his inconsistency. Is there room for both in the same team?

How will the Patton, Lewis and Gunston forward trio work? Does the return of Mitchell and perhaps a new or tweaked game-plan potentially make the forward mix potent again?

Will Burgoyne spend the majority of 2020 playing in the forward half of the ground? We all know despite his age he is still a match-winner. With Scrimshaw and Sicily likely occupying the two half back flank spots will Burgoyne play up forward more?

Burgoyne fwd against WCE worked a treat. Hope he lines up there r1.

Patton/ Lewis/ TOB I'm keen to see. Reckon Gunner plays up the ground a bit this year. Even wing at times.

William Wonka

Jesus died for somebodies sins but not mine
May 28, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah when we were beating GWS in Canberra and Eagles in Perth - I was wishing we’d lose so we can draft <insert 18 year old who might be good might be bad> instead
Yeah, me too.

I was cursing every goal Roughy kicked against GC well.
"Not another one! Think of our percentage damn it!!!"

Thats what ppl fail to realise. U get a game only if u can fulfill a role in the team. You only lose ure place if there is someone who can play that role better. Any game plan requires players to play a role. Having players come into the team just cos is just not the way we go about

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This was my 2020 best 22 I tried to guess before round 1 2019:

Hardwick, Frawley, Stratton

Scrimshaw, Sicily, Impey

Scully, O'Meara, Smith

Henderson, Gunston, Wingard

Breust, Lewis, Walker

McEvoy, Mitchell, Worpel

Int: Howe, Nash, O'Brien, Morrison
—————
Overall I’m patting myself on the back, but it was mostly conservative.

Morrison the only one there who’s not a chance to line up in round 1 next year. Impey obviously would be if fit. Poppy is maybe the one miss, I didn’t expect to still be going strong, although he’s not a lock.

Potential ins, in order of likelihood: Frost, Patton, Ceglar, Poppy (draftee or DFA mid could muscle in)

Potential outs, in order of likelihood:
Morrison, Walker, Nash, Howe

You deserve the pat on the back, that was a pretty decent guess when looking a year out. I think Howe pushing Shiels out of the side is even more unlikely that Morrison, but other than those two and Walker, I reckon it is only new recruits that will change anything else in your list, and that's a pretty good hit rate.

I reckon we're going to try to find a way to fit both Ceglar and McEvoy into the best 22, despite the fact we look to have way too many talls on our hands now to fit them all in. McEvoy is too good not to play in the firsts, and I reckon we've made some committments to Ceglar on his role to try to keep him, given other clubs were sniffing around and he's signed up for 3 years. Why would he sign if he's not very sure on getting a lot of time in the firsts?

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You deserve the pat on the back, that was a pretty decent guess when looking a year out. I think Howe pushing Shiels out of the side is even more unlikely that Morrison, but other than those two and Walker, I reckon it is only new recruits that will change anything else in your list, and that's a pretty good hit rate.

I reckon we're going to try to find a way to fit both Ceglar and McEvoy into the best 22, despite the fact we look to have way too many talls on our hands now to fit them all in. McEvoy is too good not to play in the firsts, and I reckon we've made some committments to Ceglar on his role to try to keep him, given other clubs were sniffing around and he's signed up for 3 years. Why would he sign if he's not very sure on getting a lot of time in the firsts?
Given how Cegs finished 2019 in fine form I think he will be number 1 ruck for sure.

Big Boy as a key back / rotating ruck is looking more likely than not.

Gunner Bigboy Hardwick
Sic Frost Scrimshaw
Smith Mitchell Hendo
Breust Lewis TOB
Silk Patton Poppy
Ceglar JOM Wingard
Int: Worpel Scully Nash Walker

Controversially I've left out Shiels, Stratts and Frawley
Big Boy at Full Back & Gunston at Back Pocket???

Ahhh, you want a Top 5 Pick in 2020 - now I get it!

The players with question marks over their names are Howe, O’Brien and Nash.

As good as O’Brien was during the last 8 weeks there is no spot for him up forward or down back.

With Patton, Lewis and Gunston inside 50, plus Breust, Puopolo and Wingard as the small forwards I can’t see Nash pushing anyone out.

With Mitchell returning, Howe might be pushed down the pecking order unless he is moved to the half back flank.

Last edited:

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The players with question marks over their names are Howe, O’Brien and Nash.

As good as O’Brien was during the last 8 weeks there is no spot for him up forward or down back.

With Patton, Lewis and Gunston inside 50, plus Breust, Puopolo and Wingard as the small forwards I can’t see Nash pushing anyone out.

With Mitchell returning, Howe might be pushed down the pecking order unless he is moved to the half back flank.

I think Howe's chance of getting a game without injuries hitting is largely down to how we use Wingard. If we see Wingard as close to full time midfielder rather than a forward getting the odd run through the middle then Howe and Shiels are basically fighting for the same spot, and unless Howe takes another (fairly large) step forward, I can't see him winning that fight. As you say, they might use him at half back given Impey frees up a spot there in the early part of the year, but Scrimshaw seems a much better option.

FB: Hardwick Frawley Stratton
HB: Sicily Frost Scrimshaw
C: Hendo Mitchell Smith
HF: Wingard Lewis Gunston
FF: Breust Patton Puopolo

Rucks: McEvoy O’Meara Worpel

Interchange: TOB, Shiels, Burgoyne, Scully

That is one sexy lineup :cool:
9 left from the 2015 GF in that 22
11 that were on the list.
Pretty big turn over but you can see why the club hasn't just gone to the draft for new players
Still 10 drafted 11 traded and 1 FA in that 22

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Yeah, I think that would be my preferred lineup (pending seeing a bit of Frost on the field). Still think they'll try and squeeze Ceglar in, but the list just looks better balanced when he's not there. There are no massive holes in that lineup, with a very solid bottom 4. Poppy perhaps the closest to a weak link. If that team is on the park in September, and Stratton , Breust and Gunston can have good years, I reckon that team could do some damage in finals. Interesting question would be, who comes out for Impey when he's available again?

Reckon Nash will be in there. I reckon at the expense of Poppy. However that's contingent on him being let back into the country.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers

Yeah something like that given that Impey is obviously hurt. Still want to see Wingard more midfield and I still think Cegs will be best 22 unless he got told false promises when he signed that 3 year contract.

Clarko loves Nash. I think he'll be in there Rd 1 if his pre-season is anywhere near as impressive as his last pre-season.

He loves Glass also, so I think he'll be pushing hard for a spot all season.

Those who have resigned the Irishmen to the bin will be disappointed.

I, for one, will not.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks

Agree. This is my team. Cegs plays if Patton not fit. TOB becomes the swingman.

Aug 11, 2013
Brisbane QLD
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Barcelona
I think Howe's chance of getting a game without injuries hitting is largely down to how we use Wingard. If we see Wingard as close to full time midfielder rather than a forward getting the odd run through the middle then Howe and Shiels are basically fighting for the same spot, and unless Howe takes another (fairly large) step forward, I can't see him winning that fight. As you say, they might use him at half back given Impey frees up a spot there in the early part of the year, but Scrimshaw seems a much better option.
I have money on TOB to surprise us all this year, playing as a forward. Hope I don't lose that bet!😁

Yep, I pretty well agree too. The only change I would see is Nash in for Puopolo and possibly Cegs for BigBoy. I would also really like to see CJ make his mark, but not sure who he could push out. Also not sure who makes way for Jarms when he comes back??? Good problems to have.

Pretty on the money I reckon.

But, like others have said, I feel like Nash finds a way into the lineup, despite it seeming like that would make us too tall.

Also makes you wonder why we extended Cegs for 3 years if we're not playing him from the start of the season.

Turly

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2010
mill park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pretty on the money I reckon.

But, like others have said, I feel like Nash finds a way into the lineup, despite it seeming like that would make us too tall.

Also makes you wonder why we extended Cegs for 3 years if we're not playing him from the start of the season.
Nash and Puopolo were a genuine 50/50 could go either way. Ended up picking Poppy but I wouldn’t be unhappy if Nash lines up instead round 1.

I understand the comments re Ceglar noting he has signed for 3 years. I’m just not big on playing 2 rucks but it will probably eventuate.

OneEyedHawk

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 13, 2004
Ringwood East
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Great effort, pretty close to spot on.

Jars is a walk-up start when he’s fit enough but no idea who replaces...maybe Scrimmers from that line up but I want to see him get an extended run at it.

Cegs also, reckon he’s in our best 22 as well but at who’s expense? How well Patton acclimates to our team might inform some of these decisions but really good problems to have.

Strongest “best 22” I’ve seen for a while.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back