Prediction Our best 22 for Round 1 2020

Turly

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2010
mill park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Great effort, pretty close to spot on.

Jars is a walk-up start when he’s fit enough but no idea who replaces...maybe Scrimmers from that line up but I want to see him get an extended run at it.

Cegs also, reckon he’s in our best 22 as well but at who’s expense? How well Patton acclimates to our team might inform some of these decisions but really good problems to have.

Strongest “best 22” I’ve seen for a while.
emoji106.png

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Thanks mate. Jars is an instant inclusion. If we line up as I’ve stated he would probably take Pops spot in the forward. I reckon he could do some serious damage up front and that was on show in the minimal game time he played there this season.

I feel Cegs will probably start as well. I just feel we may be going too tall with both he and Big Boy.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
The players with question marks over their names are Howe, O’Brien and Nash.

As good as O’Brien was during the last 8 weeks there is no spot for him up forward or down back.

With Patton, Lewis and Gunston inside 50, plus Breust, Puopolo and Wingard as the small forwards I can’t see Nash pushing anyone out.

With Mitchell returning, Howe might be pushed down the pecking order unless he is moved to the half back flank.

Depth. After obrien the next tall is kosi. Its just one tall too many for the 22, but bare after that.

Did any if our talls including ruckmen actually play 22 games?

Nov 22, 2010
In The Centre Of The Octagon
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Robbie Whittaker
A few people saying Scrimshaw would be the one to make way for Impey when fit, the glimpses he he showed this year reminded me of a young Birchall. If fit this kid needs to stay in the team.
Our biggest dilemma could be dropping an up and coming kid by not being able to drop our Captain if his form is the same is it was this year. I hope Stratts can regain the form of ‘18, he was consistently in our bottom handful of players in most games this year. Unfortunately from this side of the fence, his absence when suspended was barely noticeable.

LRobbo

All Australian
Jan 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I hope Stratts can regain the form of ‘18, he was consistently in our bottom handful of players in most games this year. Unfortunately from this side of the fence, his absence when suspended was barely noticeable.
Agreed, Stratton was a mighty footballer in 2018, that mark against *Essendon that thwarted a potential goal was his pinnacle. He was sorely missed in the semi final. He never once go to those heights in 2019. I assume he’ll captain again as a 1 year rental isn’t a great look as captain but he needs to play a lot better footy

Hodginator

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agreed, Stratton was a mighty footballer in 2018, that mark against *Essendon that thwarted a potential goal was his pinnacle. He was sorely missed in the semi final. He never once go to those heights in 2019. I assume he’ll captain again as a 1 year rental isn’t a great look as captain but he needs to play a lot better footy
That was an awesome mark. Who has the GIF of it? Would make for some good offseason entertainment

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I did a bit of a comparison and the depth in our squad is so much better than the start of 2008

There was a fair bit of star power back then notably buddy rough and cyril, but we do have significnt weapons to employ there. I note that buddy and rough then were the same age as mitch lewis is now, and we had no ‘mature’ kpf

Anyone notice in the games Scrimshaw played last year that Burgoyne played forward. :think:

Andy McGrath said of Scrimshaw in their draft year that he could play anywhere, even Ruck if required. He's no doubt versatile.

Andy McGrath said of Scrimshaw in their draft year that he could play anywhere, even Ruck if required. He's no doubt versatile.
That’s probs why we’re planning to play Big Boy at CHB - to free up 1st Ruck for Skrillex. ;)

buddy2fernando

Team Captain
Apr 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Think we will line up something like this come the start of the season:

FB - Hardwick, Frawley, Stratton
HB - Sicily, Frost, Burgoyne
C - Henderson, Mitchell, Smith
HF - Gunston, Lewis, Wingard
FF - O'Brien, Patton, Breust
R - McEvoy, Worpel, O'Meara
Int - Shiels, Scully, Scrimshaw, Puopolo / Ceglar

Pretty strong side considering the following to eventually come into the side:

Impey, Pick 11, Finn, Koschitzke

Plus the following players as depth:

Puopolo / Ceglar, Nash, Howe, Hanrahan, Morrison, Moore, Glass, CJ, Walker, Ross

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Think we will line up something like this come the start of the season:

FB - Hardwick, Frawley, Stratton
HB - Sicily, Frost, Burgoyne
C - Henderson, Mitchell, Smith
HF - Gunston, Lewis, Wingard
FF - O'Brien, Patton, Breust
R - McEvoy, Worpel, O'Meara
Int - Shiels, Scully, Scrimshaw, Puopolo / Ceglar

Pretty strong side considering the following to eventually come into the side:

Impey, Pick 11, Finn, Koschitzke

Plus the following players as depth:

Puopolo / Ceglar, Nash, Howe, Hanrahan, Morrison, Moore, Glass, CJ, Walker, Ross
That’s one tall forward line right there. It has me thinking that if all the good mids are off our draft board next week then it wouldn’t surprise me to see us look at a small mid/fwd in the draft. Cody Weightman comes to mind but picking him at 11 might be reaching a bit. Wonder if we could do a pick swap with a team that drafts him that nets us a 2nd rounder.

Apologies for going off topic on this thread btw but as I mentioned earlier that team looks way too top heavy to keep the ball in our forward 50.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A few people saying Scrimshaw would be the one to make way for Impey when fit, the glimpses he he showed this year reminded me of a young Birchall. If fit this kid needs to stay in the team.
Our biggest dilemma could be dropping an up and coming kid by not being able to drop our Captain if his form is the same is it was this year. I hope Stratts can regain the form of ‘18, he was consistently in our bottom handful of players in most games this year. Unfortunately from this side of the fence, his absence when suspended was barely noticeable.
If we keep Scrimshaw out just to keep an underperforming Stratts in the team I will be filthy.
Stratts really needs to lift next year, he was cod ordinary in 2019 (regardless of his bewildering top 10 finish in the B&F).
Hopefully his struggles in 2019 were down to him coming to terms with the captaincy and he was worked through them.

Watsclarkosmob

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That’s one tall forward line right there. It has me thinking that if all the good mids are off our draft board next week then it wouldn’t surprise me to see us look at a small mid/fwd in the draft. Cody Weightman comes to mind but picking him at 11 might be reaching a bit. Wonder if we could do a pick swap with a team that drafts him that nets us a 2nd rounder.

Apologies for going off topic on this thread btw but as I mentioned earlier that team looks way too top heavy to keep the ball in our forward 50.
Yeah I look at our tall forward stock and I'm not worried about them at the present time, Lewis, Patton, O'Brian, Gunston, Nash and Ross. Like yeah start developing someone, but is it a priority? I don't believe so.

So you want us trade out pick 11 for a couple of second rounds? Wouldn't we just end up using our first selection on point for Finn then? And then our next pick would be ~30 depending where we traded to and how many points we used to get Maginness.

While on topic of this thread I found it really hard to put together a team at the moment, everything I do I feel like I'm leaving someone out which I guess is a good problem to have.

FB: Stratton Frawley Hardwick
HB: Sicily Frost Scrimshaw
C: Smith Mitchell Scully
HF: Gunston Lewis O'Brian
FF: Breust Patton Puopolo
Fol: McEvoy O'Meara Worpel
Int: Wingard, Burgoyne, Shiels, Henderson

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Yeah I look at our tall forward stock and I'm not worried about them at the present time, Lewis, Patton, O'Brian, Gunston, Nash and Ross. Like yeah start developing someone, but is it a priority? I don't believe so.

So you want us trade out pick 11 for a couple of second rounds? Wouldn't we just end up using our first selection on point for Finn then? And then our next pick would be ~30 depending where we traded to and how many points we used to get Maginness.

While on topic of this thread I found it really hard to put together a team at the moment, everything I do I feel like I'm leaving someone out which I guess is a good problem to have.

FB: Stratton Frawley Hardwick
HB: Sicily Frost Scrimshaw
C: Smith Mitchell Scully
HF: Gunston Lewis O'Brian
FF: Breust Patton Puopolo
Fol: McEvoy O'Meara Worpel
Int: Wingard, Burgoyne, Shiels, Henderson
I was only floating the idea that if our desired target / targets were off the board by pick 11 and we felt we could get a kid we rated just as good around pick 20ish (ie Cody Weightman) and another team valued our pick 11 more and was prepared to give us 2 x late 1st rounders then it should definitely be considered. It really all depends on who is left once we pick.

For example Port have picks 16 & 18 or Geelong have picks 14 & 17. If either of those teams were prepared to hand over both for pick 11 and we felt we could get our target with either of them then it should definitely be considered. We could end up with three of either Cody Weightman, Will Gould, Finn Maginess, Kysaiah Pickett or maybe even Brodie Kemp if he slides.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
veterans in first 22 (29+): Burgoyne, Frawley, McEvoy, Breust, Smith, Stratton, Puopolo, Henderson, Ceglar
22-28 - players in their prime: Shiels, Gunston, Scully, Wingard, Mitchell, Impey, JOM, Sicily, Hardwick, Frost, Patton
21 and under - players getting used to the pressures of AFL: Worpel, Scrimshaw, Lewis

(Impey Injured) so i have 23

players who will cover for injuries:
O'Brien - forw/def depth
Nash - forw depth
Morrison - winger depth
Cousins - inside mid depth
Walker - i would like to see debut
Koschitzke - i would like to see debut
Ross - i would like to see debut
Howe - might get some games as a defensive mid or flanker?
Glass - might get a couple of games?
Moore - could get some more games, but isnt a big goal kicker or defensive forw, so limited?
Jiath - could get more games playing half back, depends on form
Jones - could debut to see if he can handle the pressures of AFL?
Hanrahan - will probably get another shot because of his couple of good games last season
Greaves - if we have injuries he could debut
Golds - if we have injuries to a bunch of wingers might get a debut
Reeves - if we have injuries to our rucks he might debut

draftees will be either depth or have to earn their spot through Box Hill, depending on what talent we end up with and how confident we are that they could step up or not.

Last edited:
veterans in first 22 (29+): Burgoyne, Frawley, McEvoy, Breust, Smith, Stratton, Puopolo, Henderson, Ceglar
22-28 - players in their prime: Shiels, Gunston, Scully, Wingard, Mitchell, Impey, JOM, Sicily, Hardwick, Frost, Patton
21 and under - players getting used to the pressures of AFL: Worpel, Scrimshaw, Lewis

(Impey Injured) so i have 23

players who will cover for injuries:
O'Brien - forw/def depth
Nash - forw depth
Morrison - winger depth
Cousins - inside mid depth
Walker - i would like to see debut
Koschitzke - i would like to see debut
Ross - i would like to see debut
Howe - might get some games as a defensive mid or flanker?
Glass - might get a couple of games?
Moore - could get some more games, but isnt a big goal kicker or defensive forw, so limited?
Jiath - could get more games playing half back, depends on form
Jones - could debut to see if he can handle the pressures of AFL?
Hanrahan - will probably get another shot because of his couple of good games last season
Greaves - if we have injuries he could debut
Golds - if we have injuries to a bunch of wingers might get a debut
Reeves - if we have injuries to our rucks he might debut

draftees will be either depth or have to earn their spot through Box Hill, depending on what talent we end up with and how confident we are that they could step up or not.

Interesting to see the list laid out like that. Of that bottom group only 7 are yet to debut and out of that 7 Walker, Ross and Jones were all close in 2019. Looks like a good group coming through. Most of our depth have either played senior footy or have had 3 seasons at VFL so we will be bringing in guys who have had an apprenticeship which is definitely the preferred model.

Prob the only players I am pessimistic about in the short term are Morrison and Glass but both have played good AFL footy and are capable role players. Add in Howe who is a better player than those two but a risk of list clogger material. I like Cuz I think he will be useful as our midfield strengthens so dont class him in the same boat as those 3.

Golds is prob the biggest question mark given his is so light but he may erase that in 2020. Pleasing to see he went well in the 2km time trial.

Our forward line will be interesting going into next year.

Talls: Lewis, Patton
Mobile: Gunston, O'Brien, Ross
General: Breust, Walker
Pressure: Puopolo, Nash, Hanrahan, Moore
Bench/Rotating Mids: Burgoyne, O'Meara, Wingard

There's genuine competition for spots all across the ground now which is an awesome position to be in.

We have so many looks we can throw opposition teams too.

Our forward line will be interesting going into next year.

Talls: Lewis, Patton
Mobile: Gunston, O'Brien, Ross
General: Breust, Walker
Pressure: Puopolo, Nash, Hanrahan, Moore
Bench/Rotating Mids: Burgoyne, O'Meara, Wingard

There's genuine competition for spots all across the ground now which is an awesome position to be in.

We have so many looks we can throw opposition teams too.
Thank you for not listing Sicily in the above.

Let's never speak of those couple of 2019 games again...

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hardwick - Frawley - Stratton
Sicily - Frost - Scrimshaw
Scully - Mitchell - Smith
Breust - Lewis - Gunston
Pop - Patton - Wingard
R: Mcevoy - Worpel - Omera