Remove this Banner Ad

Stratton - Frawley - Hardwick
Sicily - Frost - Scrimshaw

Big Boy - Mitchell - O'Meara
Smith - Worpel - Scully

Gunston - Lewis - Wingard
Breust - Patton - Puopolo

Shiels - Burgoyne - Henderson - TOB

I'd really like to see Finn get in there though.
My 22 is the same, but I've started Smitty at HBF, Hendo on the wing & Skrillex on the bench. We need some run from Half Back.

Can't believe how many have left Nash out. Didn't anyone take any notice? Clarko has a spot for him and his trajectory is only up!

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app
Ehhh we had a lack of other options last year and Nash either needs to improve or he will be left behind. He is far from a walk up best 22 player. Poppy, Ollie, Nash and Moore will all be fighting for 1 or 2 spots. Who ever improves the most over the pre season will get first crack.

Ehhh we had a lack of other options last year and Nash either needs to improve or he will be left behind. He is far from a walk up best 22 player. Poppy, Ollie, Nash and Moore will all be fighting for 1 or 2 spots. Who ever improves the most over the pre season will get first crack.

You keep on believing this then. He was in Round 1 when we were fully fit, and he was in for the last round. Clarko played him in finals the year before.

He's quite obviously in the plan for the team, and I can't see how a pedestrian paced Moore or Hanrahan who placed last in the time trial are gonna displace him.

You keep on believing this then. He was in Round 1 when we were fully fit, and he was in for the last round. Clarko played him in finals the year before.

He's quite obviously in the plan for the team, and I can't see how a pedestrian paced Moore or Hanrahan who placed last in the time trial are gonna displace him.
You are missing the point, i am not saying he wasn't in the best 22 last season. I am saying his output far from keeps him as a lock in the best 22 unless he improves.

I know you are a big fan of his but if he is best 22 next season without improving this team will not be where we as fans want it to be.

You are missing the point, i am not saying he wasn't in the best 22 last season. I am saying his output far from keeps him as a lock in the best 22 unless he improves.

I know you are a big fan of his but if he is best 22 next season without improving this team will not be where we as fans want it to be.

It's not that I'm a big fan, I'm taking my opinion of him out of it - I'm going based on team selection trends. If he's fit he plays.

It's not that I'm a big fan, I'm taking my opinion of him out of it - I'm going based on team selection trends. If he's fit he plays.
Yeah and i think that is based on poor options in that role over the past 18 months. Don't you agree that is someone else improves over pre season and develops more than Nash his spot could be in trouble?

Yeah and i think that is based on poor options in that role over the past 18 months. Don't you agree that is someone else improves over pre season and develops more than Nash his spot could be in trouble?

They won't develop in a vacuum though.

Nash is 21. He's not going to stand still, and his natural strengths for the role are simply better than other options. He's quicker and applies more pressure than Hanrahan and has similar endurance traits to Moore.

They won't develop in a vacuum though.

Nash is 21. He's not going to stand still, and his natural strengths for the role are simply better than other options. He's quicker and applies more pressure than Hanrahan and has similar endurance traits to Moore.
And lacks the offensive side of Ollie at the moment and the footy IQ still needs to improve. Who knows if that will come this pre season or not. I won't argue that Nash has huge scope for improvement and i have high hopes for him in the future. I am just not banking on seeing that next season until i see signs of it.

And lacks the offensive side of Ollie at the moment and the footy IQ still needs to improve. Who knows if that will come this pre season or not. I won't argue that Nash has huge scope for improvement and i have high hopes for him in the future. I am just not banking on seeing that next season until i see signs of it.

He's a better goal assist player, a better tackling player, better pressure player, similar level ground ball player and neutralises his opponent better. I'm taking that over the .2 more goals a game.

He's a better goal assist player, a better tackling player, better pressure player, similar level ground ball player and neutralises his opponent better. I'm taking that over the .2 more goals a game.
Okay and the goal assists is about the same as the goals per game difference. Ollie also averages more score involvements per game, more 1%ers per game.

The statistical difference is largely negligible and is not going to show a clear winner. Which is kinda my entire point, we need improvement out of that entire group of players and who ever improves the most should most likely will earn that spot in round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re game plan to counter tigers one, would there be such a huge emphasis on needing 2-3 adequate small fwds if we have 6 sets of sticky fingers in the fwdline where the ball wouldn't hit the ground as much...

Gunston Lewis TOB
Bruest Patton Nash/Walker

It's a tall fwdline but if the marks stick then this could form part of a refreshed game plan with a new direction

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Re game plan to counter tigers one, would there be such a huge emphasis on needing 2-3 adequate small fwds if we have 6 sets of sticky fingers in the fwdline where the ball wouldn't hit the ground as much...

Gunston Lewis TOB

It's a tall fwdline but if the marks stick then this could form part of a refreshed game plan with a new direction

They try and pressure a long high kick into our forward line,in the hope that their backs peel off and mark it, to set up their rebound attack when the zone has all rushed forward.
Clean kicks fast movement and contested marks will counter their game plan.
Small/fast forwards are still needed for spills and to stop easy exit from our forward 50.
Good contested marks on the wings should give us more exit options for when we are trying to clear our defensive 50 too
A lot of their chaotic long kicks into the forward line has been to allow Reiwolt and Caddy to pretend to fly for the ball while taking out 2 or more defenders allowing their smalls to score.
So we still need to have speed on the ground for that in defence

Last edited:
That's them at 2 big fwds 4 smalls.
But for us, if we had a 5 talls 1 small setup all being very good contested marks this could work better than a 3-3 setup that we've had forever.
With Patton on board, TOB's improvement and one of Walker/Nash, all of whom we never had asks for a new fwd setup, if only just to fit them all in. Potent setup if it works

That's them at 2 big fwds 4 smalls.
But for us, if we had a 5 talls 1 small setup all being very good contested marks this could work better than a 3-3 setup that we've had forever.
With Patton on board, TOB's improvement and one of Walker/Nash, all of whom we never had asks for a new fwd setup, if only just to fit them all in. Potent setup if it works

We've always had smalls that could play tall though.

Cyril and Puopolo were always a chance to sit on people's heads. I think the idea with Nash is that we have someone who is very nearly 200cm that can exploit height differences yet still run and operate like a small.

Smalls that are good overhead, and talls that are good below their knees.

Gunston Lewis TOB

Not getting coast to coast turnovers when we miss chances to score would go along way against many sides, Not just Richmond

Not getting coast to coast turnovers when we miss chances to score would go along way against many sides, Not just Richmond
Yes, but the point being it stays in our fwdline more by way of marking the ball more now that we have that collective weapon compared to previously the ball being on the ground more often than not

We've always had smalls that could play tall though.

Cyril and Puopolo were always a chance to sit on people's heads. I think the idea with Nash is that we have someone who is very nearly 200cm that can exploit height differences yet still run and operate like a small.

Smalls that are good overhead, and talls that are good below their knees.
Fwd plan tho has always been for our talls to bring it to ground. Not so if we have 6 contested marking beasts

Fwd plan tho has always been for our talls to bring it to ground. Not so if we have 6 contested marking beasts

Yes but even our tall forwards are traditionally very good ground ball players. Of all players still playing in 2018:

Buddy, 3rd all time Fwd 50 Ground Ball Gets
Roughy, 4th all time
Breust, 7th all time
Burgoyne, 10th all time
Puopolo, 13th all time
Gunston, 19th all time

I don’t think there spots available for Nash and O’Brien in the best 22.

O’Brien is depth if there is an injury to one of the key forwards or defenders.

Our forward-line already has Patton, Lewis and Gunston. Not sure if Nash would fit into that mix.

We don’t really know if the coaches are going to go back to the old two ruck setup.

Yes but even our tall forwards are traditionally very good ground ball players. Of all players still playing in 2018:

Buddy, 3rd all time Fwd 50 Ground Ball Gets
Roughy, 4th all time
Breust, 7th all time
Burgoyne, 10th all time
Puopolo, 13th all time
Gunston, 19th all time

Im guessing the others in the list not mentioned would all be from different teams

Im guessing the others in the list not mentioned would all be from different teams

That's right, but we have had or still have 6 of the top 20.

There are 18 teams in the comp so that's a pretty good representation. If Cyril hadn't retired early I'd bet that we'd have 7.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back